George: In the end, Cowboys' star WR takes over for Giants rookie

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
George: In the end, Cowboys' star WR takes over for Giants rookie

Brandon George

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The night began with Giants rookie receiver Odell Beckham dominating. But in the end, it was the Cowboys star receiver who took over.

In what should serve as the prelude for a battle of great receivers for years to come, Bryant came out the winner against Beckham.

Dez Bryant caught two second-half touchdowns to help the Cowboys rally from behind to beat the Giants and make Beckham’s big game more of an afterthought.

“I thought Odell tonight was one of the finest players I’ve seen in the NFL,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. “He’s an outstanding player and I don’t look forward to playing him for a lot of years around here.

“In Dez, we have our Odell Beckham as well. He makes plays like that.”

Bryant finished with seven catches for 86 yards and his two scores. His two touchdown catches gave him 50 for his career in his 70 game, making him the second-fastest Cowboys player to reach 50 career touchdown catches and seventh-fastest player in league history to reach the mark.

Bryant’s big game came in front of Jay-Z, who founded Roc Nation Sports that now represents the Cowboys receiver after he recently parted ways with agent Eugene Parker.

Bryant had only three catches for 30 yards (all in the second quarter) before halftime. But he showed why he’s one of the league’s most dominant receivers in the second half.

Bryant broke free from the coverage late in the third quarter and was wide open for Tony Romo on the right side. Bryant caught the ball and turned up field down the right sideline to just get into the end zone before taking a big hit for a 31-yard score. The touchdown gave the Cowboys their first lead, 24-21.

Bryant’s biggest catch of the game came in the end. After the Giants drove 93 yards for a touchdown to take a 28-24 lead with three minutes to play, the Cowboys had one last chance to save the game.

Romo led a drive that took the Cowboys to the 13-yard line. On second-and-2, Romo had all day to throw the football. That allowed Bryant to break off his route and come free in the left corner of the end zone for a game-winning, 13-yard touchdown catch.

Bryant now has 10 or more touchdown catches for a third consecutive season.

Beckham, who finished with 10 catches (on 11 targets) for 146 yards, was spectacular to start the game. He had eight catches for 125 yards and two touchdowns before halftime, including one to start the second quarter that Bryant called “a crazy catch.”

Giants quarterback Eli Manning threw a deep pass down the right sideline to Beckham, who was in one-on-one coverage against Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr.

Carr bumped Beckham inside the 10, but he managed to stay in bounds. Carr then grabbed the front of Beckham’s jersey to knock him off-balanced, but to no avail. Beckham, fully extended parallel to the ground, reached his right hand back and snagged the deep pass out of the air for a 43-yard touchdown and 14-3 lead.

“Woo, looked like some of my work,” Bryant said of Beckham’s one-handed catch. “That man is a monster. Outstanding. I respect guys like that.”

But Bryant said he’s learned he doesn’t have to answer another star receiver’s big game.

“Not at all. You cannot get personal,” Bryant said. “That’s one thing I had to learn. It’s worked out well for me. I stay focused because I know my chance will come.”

Top Bottom