GameDay Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Cowboys @ Rams | 9/13/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Stupid fake crowd noise. Stupid defense. Stupid QB thinking he’s worth 40M.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm just as concerned this morning as I was last night.

I hope the Rams are for real as contenders in the NFC, which is not out of the realm of possibilities. It is very possible we played one of the best 2-3 teams in the conference last night to a near-draw in which we were on the receiving end of very poor officiating (as usual - side note, sorry Mike, welcome to Dallas, forgot to mention during the interview that you have to overcome this literally every week).

But even if the Rams are "for real," the flip side to that is we have another of the best teams in the conference on the slate in just two weeks, the Seahawks. They better be careful or this season could go off the rails quick. Next week vs. Atlanta is already basically a must win if we are trying to make any playoff noise this year, because Seattle could very well be a loss -- probably is, in fact -- if last night's performance is the current state of the team. Not like Lee, Collins, Vander Esche or Jarwin will be back for that game either.

You do NOT want to be starting 0-3.

1-2 is gonna be bad enough and have the fans starting to lose their minds.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm just as concerned this morning as I was last night.

I hope the Rams are for real as contenders in the NFC, which is not out of the realm of possibilities. It is very possible we played one of the best 2-3 teams in the conference last night to a near-draw in which we were on the receiving end of very poor officiating (as usual - side note, sorry Mike, welcome to Dallas, forgot to mention during the interview that you have to overcome this literally every week).

But even if the Rams are "for real," the flip side to that is we have another of the best teams in the conference on the slate in just two weeks, the Seahawks. They better be careful or this season could go off the rails quick. Next week vs. Atlanta is already basically a must win if we are trying to make any playoff noise this year, because Seattle could very well be a loss -- probably is, in fact -- last night's performance is the current state of the team. Not like Lee, Collins, Vander Esche or Jarwin will be back for that game either.

You do NOT want to be starting 0-3.

1-2 is gonna be bad enough and have the fans starting to lose their minds.
I think McCarthy needs to take over the offense and now.

He doesn't have to say he's doing it or throw KM under the bus, but just put a heavy hand on this week's gameplan.

Last night was a repeat of what we saw too many times under Garrett and that is one time too many.

If McCarthy does that, I think we'll be ok.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think McCarthy needs to take over the offense and now.

He doesn't have to say he's doing it or throw KM under the bus, but just put a heavy hand on this week's gameplan.

Last night was a repeat of what we saw too many times under Garrett and that is one time too many.

If McCarthy does that, I think we'll be ok.
That's not happening.

At least not yet.

And frankly we have no idea how much of McCarthy's offense is installed or not due to the truncated offseason. Reporters weren't even allowed to report on it during camp to let us know.

It's hard for me to tell on the fly because like most people I will allow myself to follow the ball during game action and I would need to go back with a discerning eye to see otherwise, but I have no idea if the offense was schematically very different last night from 2019 (i'll count on Sturm for that analysis).

What I can tell you is that the results had a very disjointed, inconsistent, lack-of-flow feel, which is certainly explained when you see the stat that the team went 1-7 on third downs or whatever. I do not need to point out that the man calling the plays both seasons (so far) is the same.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's not time to panic. The biggest issues are the injuries, which seemed to happen to positions where we can least afford it (LB, OT, TE).

Otherwise, we played a decent team, played poorly in general, and yet had plenty of chances to win. Nothing happened that can't be fixed.

Dak looked good.
Zeke looked good.
Aldon Smith looked good.
The secondary mostly held up.

The most disappointing aspects of the game were probably the offensive and defensive lines, and the WRs. These are probably the areas most of us had the most confidence in. We'll likely be fine long term in those areas.

There isn't much that I looked at last night and thought, oh shit what are we going to do? Even TE, probably our biggest hole, isn't likely to cripple us as long as we bring in a guy that can correctly run his assignments and block.

We knew a new regime with no off-season was going to be a work in progress. It's not time to panic.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's not time to panic. The biggest issues are the injuries, which seemed to happen to positions where we can least afford it (LB, OT, TE).

Otherwise, we played a decent team, played poorly in general, and yet had plenty of chances to win. Nothing happened that can't be fixed.

Dak looked good.
Zeke looked good.
Aldon Smith looked good.
The secondary mostly held up.

The most disappointing aspects of the game were probably the offensive and defensive lines, and the WRs. These are probably the areas most of us had the most confidence in. We'll likely be fine long term in those areas.

There isn't much that I looked at last night and thought, oh shit what are we going to do? Even TE, probably our biggest hole, isn't likely to cripple us as long as we bring in a guy that can correctly run his assignments and block.

We knew a new regime with no off-season was going to be a work in progress. It's not time to panic.
Agreed.

Maybe it's expecting too much early on, but I am more disappointed and annoyed than upset.

I really was hoping to come out of the gates looking good.

Let's see how next week at home goes.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If this performance happened in January it's inexcusable.

Game 1 of a new season and new coaching regime. Eh. It's ok.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
If this performance happened in January it's inexcusable.

Game 1 of a new season and new coaching regime. Eh. It's ok.

i think its more of the hype hitting reality. you arent wrong, not going to argue what you said. but i think MM had a great off season and maybe some of us coach coaches were wrong. who knows.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I thought Diggs looked like a player. Our corners were decent. We're soft up the middle and it killed us always giving them 3rd and short. Hard to stop. We killed them on 3rd and long and got consistent pressure. Get me Snacks Harrison. Big fat fuck in the middle should help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom