Gameday Chatter Thread |Ravens v. Cowboys| - 8/16/14

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Three thoughts on the Cowboys' loss

August, 17, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING -- Three thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys’ 37-30 loss to the Baltimore Ravens:

1. Play-caller Scott Linehan’s mission during the preseason is to show San Francisco as little as possible of the offense he plans to unveil in Week 1.

But you should like the little we've seen during the first two preseason games.

Linehan is making a concerted effort to run the ball -- the Cowboys starters ran on eight of 14 plays -- and he’s mixed in a liberal dose of play-action passes. He’s using screen passes to slow down the opponent’s pass rush, and it all looks good.

Obviously, you can’t get too carried away because there’s a difference between calling plays in the preseason and calling plays in games that count, but the philosophical approach Linehan is taking bodes well for the regular season.

2. Zach Minter has been with the Cowboys for only a few days, but he made quite an impact against Baltimore with two sacks, two tackles for loss and quarterback hit.

Yes, he did it against Baltimore’s second- and third-team, but that’s still a ton of production.

What it probably means for Minter, who played two games with the Bears last season, is he’ll get a chance against Miami’s starters next week to see if he can make the same type of impact. Whether he does or not, he showed every youngster on the roster how to get the coaching staff’s attention.

3. One of the intriguing questions in training camp revolves around the Cowboys’ long-term view of quarterback Dustin Vaughan.

Do they see the 6-5, 235-pounder as a career backup? A marginal starter? A frontline starter?

The Cowboys haven't kept a third quarterback on the active roster in years because each roster spot is too important to keep a developmental player who’s unlikely to play.

Vaughan, an undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M, turned in his second consecutive good performance during the fourth quarter. The Cowboys would love to add him to their practice squad, but they must first expose him to waivers to do so.

That means every club would have an opportunity to sign him. Based on what we’ve seen from him, thus far, some team would claim him because quarterbacks are hard to find.

Tony Romo, 34, has had two back surgeries in the past year. No one really knows whether his back will hold up for a year, two years or five years. If the Cowboys view Vaughan as a player with a long-term future, even if it’s as a quality backup, they should keep him.

Key number: 141

Detroit quarterback Matt Stafford threw 141 play-action passes last season. Tony Romo threw 73.

Romo was good at it -- he had a passer rating of 111.2 with six touchdowns and no interceptions on those passes. The Cowboys just didn’t give him enough opportunities.

That will change this year.

Player to Watch: Ahmad Dixon

Dixon, a seventh-round draft pick, turned in a terrific performance against San Diego in the Cowboys’ first preseason game with 12 tackles.

He didn’t record any tackles Saturday night because he didn’t play after being benched for missing a walk-through practice.

The first game created a margin of error for Dixon. Well, he’s used it. Now, Dixon needs a good week of practice and a strong game against Miami to sustain the momentum he created against San Diego.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think they were better. The main difference is that they didn't get the ball shoved down their throat like SD did. They did have a few denied 3rd down plays and did get a couple of sacks. But don't fool yourself, this is still a depth poor defense and the starters aren't a lot better.
That's more along the lines of how I figured they would play.

Cotton

Staff member
Rolando McClain impresses in Dallas debut

August, 17, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' decision-makers aren't going to declare this publicly, but they desperately want Rolando McClain to win the starting job at middle linebacker.

They’re well aware of how much this defense needs a playmaker, particularly with Sean Leesidelined for the season by a knee injury. They saw that kind of potential in McClain when scouting him at Alabama before the Oakland Raiders selected him with the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft.

The Cowboys caught some glimpses of that ability during McClain’s preseason debut Saturday night, the twice-retired 25-year-old’s first game action since November 2012.

“I liked what 55 did out there,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said without prompting. “He got some good snaps, more snaps than I thought he might get and he did real well. We knew and felt that he was good in coverage and he showed tonight that he drops back good, got a good feel for coverage out there.”

McClain made plays. He led the Cowboys with six tackles. He forced a fumble, although theBaltimore Ravens kept the ball because it bounced out of bounds. He batted down a pass to halt a drive.

In short, the 6-foot-4, 259-pound McClain looked like a linebacker who could help the Cowboys this season.

“Hard to assess it without watching the tape, but he definitely showed up a couple of times,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “There was a play right on our bench where he pulled the ball out, and he’s done an excellent job running to the ball, being physical as a tackler and then getting the ball out. He’s done that all throughout training cap.

“It was good to see that show up a little bit.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not crazy about Harris at this point. His routes are not real clean. He always has someone latched to him. With his speed he should always be able to find some separation at some point in the route. His hands are slightly above average IMO.
Harris is not a fast guy he is a quick guy who is hard to bring down in the open field.

He has a place in the offense but its not going to be as a pure WR which is why I am glad to see they have some packages which can fit his skillset.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I keep reading that McClain was impressive, but he wasn't to me. He didn't look comfortable. And if he had to start a game tomorrow, he will get exploited as he lacks conditioning. Taking time off with the mysterious leg issues didn't help that cause very much.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I keep reading that McClain was impressive, but he wasn't to me. He didn't look comfortable. And if he had to start a game tomorrow, he will get exploited as he lacks conditioning. Taking time off with the mysterious leg issues didn't help that cause very much.
I thought he did pretty well for coming in with all the rust on him. I am interested to see how he does with better conditioning and playing time.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not surprising.

That has been Weeden's M.O. all along.

The guys stares down targets.

Maybe it is because his eyes or so close together.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Even though the games don't count it still warms my heart watching the 49ers get skull drug. The fact that the beating occurred during the opening of their new stadium is icing on the cake.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not surprising.

That has been Weeden's M.O. all along.

The guys stares down targets.

Maybe it is because his eyes or so close together.
Yep. That means he isn't proficient in his reads.

Top Bottom