Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

data

Forbes #1
Every first-start QB won this week - Wentz, Garoppolo, Siemian.

Oh, wait.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah dumb mistake, and if he had gone out of bounds and we won the narrative right now about the team would be completely different. Seems like maybe barely playing our starters in preseason wasn't the brightest of ideas to get our team ready for the season.
I have complained about this approach for the past 3 seasons. It silly to hold out starters to guard against injury. The result is just what was displayed yesterday.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Prescott did more than enough to win the game when you consider how poor Elliott was and the dropped TD's from Beasley and Bryant. You can't expect a rookie to win his very first start against a solid opponent with a running game that is averaging under 3 YPC and two clear dropped TD's, but yet if there were 5 seconds left on the clock Prescott had us right there to win it at the end.

He looked shaky at times and threw some balls that will get intercepted against other teams but he's a rookie that needs to grow, anybody expecting him to beat decent teams with no running game and this defense is expecting way too much. I still really liked what I saw but there are clear areas where he needs to improve, that's why Romo will play if/when he's ready.

I get what smitty is saying, you can't just shoehorn him into being your franchise QB when you see that he needs to improve, but obviously you can't write off his potential. If QB is BPA in the 1st next year I'd take them just because the position is so important but if I had to bet now I'd say with Prescott's work ethic and what he's shown to this point, he will end up being at least a good starting QB for us.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Every first-start QB won this week - Wentz, Garoppolo, Siemian.

Oh, wait.
Two have much better coaches leading the way and the jury is still out on Pederson. But based on the coaching tree that he came from, I'm willing to bet that Pederson could coach circles around Garrett.

Jason Garrett. One of the worst coaches in the league.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Amazing catch. Fitz. Hof.
I would never throw to anyone except Fitzgerald
Dez needs to get his ass in gear. I'm about 5 minutes from jumping on the Bipo bandwagon regarding Dez.

The thing that's holding me back is I don't think the Cowboys give Dez near enough opportunities to run the underneath routes. It seems like 90% of the throws towards Dez are go/fade routes.

I'd use him like we use Beasely. Put him in the slot and let him run some rub routes out of bunch formations. Run drags, slants, etc. I think this coaching staff has done an incredibly poor job of putting their best players in position to win.

Fitzgerald is no burner yet the Cardinals find ways to get him the ball in space. They move him all over the field. A part of me thinks that if you insert Dez into another system led by competent coaches, we'd see a productive WR. Regardless of the QB situation.

Embarrassing that a WR of his caliber constantly puts up fewer than 30 yards when Romo's out of the lineup. This is one of those times where I wish Jerry would rip into everyone on the coaching staff because the HC is too much of a bitch to do it himself.

dallen

Senior Tech
Dez needs to get his ass in gear. I'm about 5 minutes from jumping on the Bipo bandwagon regarding Dez.

The thing that's holding me back is I don't think the Cowboys give Dez near enough opportunities to run the underneath routes. It seems like 90% of the throws towards Dez are go/fade routes.

I'd use him like we use Beasely. Put him in the slot and let him run some rub routes out of bunch formations. Run drags, slants, etc. I think this coaching staff has done an incredibly poor job of putting their best players in position to win.

Fitzgerald is no burner yet the Cardinals find ways to get him the ball in space. They move him all over the field. A part of me thinks that if you insert Dez into another system led by competent coaches, we'd see a productive WR. Regardless of the QB situation.

Embarrassing that a WR of his caliber constantly puts up fewer than 30 yards when Romo's out of the lineup. This is one of those times where I wish Jerry would rip into everyone on the coaching staff because the HC is too much of a bitch to do it himself.
I don't understand why we run so many designed plays for Beasley and hardly any for Dez.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The defense definitely looked better in the 2nd half to me. Seemed like Thornton and Durant made a difference. The shotgun draws to Jennings at the end were brutal though. We had no answer for that play.

Also, I really hope they start giving Elliott handoffs when the QB is under center. Morris did well with that...although he was a bit more patient than Zeke was.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Prescott did more than enough to win the game when you consider how poor Elliott was and the dropped TD's from Beasley and Bryant. You can't expect a rookie to win his very first start against a solid opponent with a running game that is averaging under 3 YPC and two clear dropped TD's, but yet if there were 5 seconds left on the clock Prescott had us right there to win it at the end.

He looked shaky at times and threw some balls that will get intercepted against other teams but he's a rookie that needs to grow, anybody expecting him to beat decent teams with no running game and this defense is expecting way too much. I still really liked what I saw but there are clear areas where he needs to improve, that's why Romo will play if/when he's ready.

I get what smitty is saying, you can't just shoehorn him into being your franchise QB when you see that he needs to improve, but obviously you can't write off his potential. If QB is BPA in the 1st next year I'd take them just because the position is so important but if I had to bet now I'd say with Prescott's work ethic and what he's shown to this point, he will end up being at least a good starting QB for us.
I agree with this. It's a sensible assessment that I think most would agree with.

I think the thing that had everyone up in arms is this notion that nothing that Dak did yesterday looked promising.

If he were a 9 year veteran like Cassel then I would agree that nothing looked promising . But when you're dealing with a rookie making his 1st NFL start the grading scale is much different than it would be for a guy like Cassel.

He regressed in the 2nd half and made some errant throws but I think that was largely due to the Giants fingering some things out and taking away the looks that he'd shown comfort throwing against.

I'm hoping he learns from his growing pains. Not every great QB kicks in the door like Cam Newton in his first NFL start. In fact, the vast majority of good to great QBs had first starts that were very similar to or much worse than Dak's. Which is why I think it's way too early to be down on the guy.

Now if he'd have treated us to a 34 yard performance like Quincy's 2001 debut then I'm probably jumping off the bandwagon.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't understand why we run so many designed plays for Beasley and hardly any for Dez.
For some reason they don't feel the need to get the ball into the hands of the bigger, more athletic guy who can actually break a few tackles and turn those 8 yard passes to Beasley into 20+ yard gains.

But hey, they're the football geniuses.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Just look at the Steelers use of Antonio Brown (by Todd Haley of all people). They don't throw the same thing to him and he is used all over.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They should promote Garrett to GM, that's a good way to get Jones out of the picture and also get some new offensive ideas, while still promoting some of the important concepts Garrett stands for.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Uhhhhhhhhhh......

Jiggyfly

Banned
They should promote Garrett to GM, that's a good way to get Jones out of the picture and also get some new offensive ideas, while still promoting some of the important concepts Garrett stands for.
Why so we can draft a TE every other year or a gadget RB in the 1st?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Terrance Williams wishes he had gone out of bounds in game-ending play

Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Terrance Williams knew exactly what he was supposed to do in the final seconds of the Dallas Cowboys' 20-19 loss to the New York Giants.

He just didn't do it.

On third-and-10 from the Dallas 46 with no timeouts and 12 seconds left, Williams caught a pass in the right flat. Instead of sprinting out of bounds about the New York 47, Williams inexplicably turned upfield and gained five more yards.

But time expired as the Cowboys were lining up to spike the ball and stop the clock.

"I don't know, I was just doing my best to put the team in a position to kick field goal," a solemn Williams said after the game. "Obviously, I should've just followed the rules and got out of bounds.

"The whole purpose of me cutting it in was to go right back to the sideline to pick up more yardage. Breaking the huddle it was already third-and-13 [sic]. In my mind, I was trying to make the first down and dive out of bounds -- it just didn't go as planned. I was clearly aware of the time. It was something I was just thinking of, and it was a bang-bang moment. Now that I have a time to sit back and think about it, I should've just went out of bounds."

As the Giants streamed on the field to celebrate their come-from-behind win, Williams fell to his knees. His head dropped and he stared at the ground for several seconds. Dez Bryant whispered into Williams' ear, and coach Jason Garrett patted the receiver on the shoulder as he walked past him toward midfield to greet New York coach Ben McAdoo.

"What he needed to do there was simply run out of bounds," Garrett said. "It's a well-practiced situation. We've been in that situation a lot and his instinct took him inside. Obviously with no timeouts and 12 seconds to go, he needs to catch that ball and immediately get out of bounds and we'd asses the situation from there as to whether or not we kick it from there or try to get a little closer."

Williams finished with three receptions for 34 yards and one horrendous decision.

"The coaches are still with me. I should've just followed procedure and went out of bounds," Williams said. "The players and coaches are still behind me 110 percent. It's just something where I should've followed the rules.

"It's always good whenever you have a great group of guys who will come to your aid and pick you up when you're down. They talked to me and kept me calm. It's still a poor decision for me, but it's one of those things that happened in a bang-bang moment. Looking back, I'll never do that again."

Top Bottom