Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Dolphins| - 8/4/13

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Moore: Preseason opener provided some interesting developments...

CANTON, Ohio — Not to dampen the enshrinement mood on this Hall of Fame weekend, but let’s pose a question.

Why did the Cowboys lobby to add Sunday’s game to their pre-season schedule, then opt to play only a handful of guys who will start to open the regular season?

It turns out it wasn’t about the game — a 24-20 victory over Miami — as much as it was the additional practice time.

“We’ll work those guys in,’’ owner Jerry Jones said of the starters. “We’re seeing a lot of those guys in practice and have seen a lot of them in their careers.

“This extra week, this Hall of Fame week, was something we really wanted to take advantage of and we have by looking at our depth and looking at our young guys. We got everything that I hoped we would get out of having this extra ballgame.’’

One night after seven of the best to ever grace the NFL were inducted, Fawcett Stadium was turned over to the Cowboys and Dolphins to force feed minutes to their young and/or backup players.

While virtually nothing should be read into a contest where head coach Jason Garrett chose to shut down quarterback Tony Romo, his primary offensive skill players and all but one player expected to start on defense, there were some interesting developments.

Let’s start with the run game. A Cowboys team that got no traction in this department last season displayed an impressive commitment and execution this evening.

With offensive coordinator Bill Callahan calling the plays, the Cowboys rushed for 97 yards in jumping to a 17-3 halftime lead. The significance: that’s more yards than the Cowboys gained on the ground in 11 full games last season. Callahan called 17 run plays and only 10 passes in the opening two quarters.

The Cowboys finished with 170 yards rushing.

“We want to be a more physical team running the football,’’ Garrett said. “I thought tonight was a good start running the football. We ran it a few different ways. We ran it inside, had some edge runs as well.

“I thought the runners ran hard. I thought Phillip Tanner really ran hard and was taking advantage of the opportunity we gave him.’’

Rookie Joseph Randle led the team with 70 yards, with all but 16 of those coming in the second half. Tanner led the early charge with 59 yards and a touchdown. This is the same running back who gained only 61 yards all last season.

“Just coming out here and making the best of every opportunity,’’ said Tanner, who is eight pounds lighter and moving much better than he did a year ago. “Coach Garrett preaches that to us all the time, whether it is one play or 100 plays. Make the best of every snap.’’

The defensive emphasis with the switch to a 4-3 has been on turnovers. So what happens on Miami’s first offensive play of the evening? Backup defensive tackle Nick Hayden, starting in place of Jay Ratliff, recovers a fumble to set up the Cowboys first touchdown.

One quarter later, sixth round pick Devonte Holloman makes a nice adjustment on a ball that goes through the hands of a Dolphins receiver, makes the interception, spins then races 75 yards for the touchdown.

The two turnovers the Cowboys came up with in the first half was more than the defense produced in 10 games last season.

“Taking the ball away was critical,’’ Garrett said. “It’s been a big point of emphasis for us.’’

Strongside linebacker Justin Durant is the only player expected to start against the New York Giants on Sept. 8 to start against Miami. He was on the field for only two possessions.

Center Travis Frederick, left tackle Tyron Smith and right tackle Doug Free started Sunday and should also be there on opening night. Ron Leary started at left guard and while he didn’t play last season, there’s a good chance he starts against the Giants.

Smith and Free took all seven snaps of the Cowboys first possession and didn’t return. Backup quarterback Kyle Orton did the same, meaning the Cowboys turned this game over to its second-team, third-team and wanna-be players before the first quarter was over.

Frederick was solid at center and also took snaps at right guard with Phil Costa at center and Leary at guard.

“I thought it was OK,’’ Frederick said of his evening. “Definitely have a lot to work on from here on out.’’

And four more pre-season games to get that work done.

Catch David Moore on The Ticket (KTCK-AM 1310) with The Musers at 9:35 a.m. and The Hardline at 3:50 p.m. every Monday through Friday during training camp.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Honestly the best O-line combination yesterday was Leary, Frederick, and Arkin. I know Arkin sucked dick last year when he was playing center and guard in preseason and I'm certainly not sold on him yet but at this point I would rather go with that interior O-line over Leary, Costa, Frederick any day. I also think it helps everyone on the O-line when a guy like Frederick is playing center. He does such a good job combo blocking with the guards and helping them out.

I'm sure Frederick could be a solid guard if he concentrated there but why the hell would you do that when I think he has probowl potential at center. Not to mention our coaches have said multiple times the second most important position on the O-line is center.
Agreed. Crazy beard in the middle made things around him better. And I have to say Leary looked good, too. RT, and by extension the entire right side, is going to be a problem though.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Agreed. Crazy beard in the middle made things around him better. And I have to say Leary looked good, too. RT, and by extension the entire right side, is going to be a problem though.
4 TE set, BOOM!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
In order, these are the units that I was most impressed with:

1. Defensive Line
2. Running backs
3. Offensive Line
4. Corner backs

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Free only played 1 series though. Hard to get a read on him based on that, though of course, that also means Free did not play enough to dispel any notion that he sucked last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's the same crap we dealt with when McGee was on the team.

Our 3rd QB's have been so bad that it's tough to evaluate the receivers that are on the field with them.
That plus I don't think the amount of times we ran last night is necessarily indicative of how Callahan plans to call games. I feel like basically we had to run the ball all night because of how bad the QBs were.

Although I hope it does tell us that unlike his boss Callahan won't be afraid to lean heavily on the running game if the QB is struggling.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That plus I don't think the amount of times we ran last night is necessarily indicative of how Callahan plans to call games. I feel like basically we had to run the ball all night because of how bad the QBs were.

Although I hope it does tell us that unlike his boss Callahan won't be afraid to lean heavily on the running game if the QB is struggling.
It was only one game, and a preseason game at that, but the NBC crew seemed to like the changes they saw from both of our units.

Collinsworth specifically mentioned the tempo of the offense and that is an area that needed much improvement.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Of course it also doesn't help that our backup OT's are extremely bad and they were going up against an elite high draft pick the entire game.
If I'm Miami I'm a little concerned Jordan didn't abuse the likes of Weems much worse than he did.

Lotuseater

Banned
I was thinking the same thing. Woo Wee. Weems.

That said, Jordan looked pretty damn good. The talent is there for a superstar pass rusher, if he doesn't prove himself to be a dilettante like Pierre-Paul.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Free only played 1 series though. Hard to get a read on him based on that, though of course, that also means Free did not play enough to dispel any notion that he sucked last year.
Free is always going to look good in practice and maybe even in preseason. It's when the real bullets are fired that he just can't hang, and Bernadeau being next to him makes things much worse.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Free is always going to look good in practice and maybe even in preseason. It's when the real bullets are fired that he just can't hang, and Bernadeau being next to him makes things much worse.
It's even worse this year because he hasn't even been practicing against starting talent because Spencer has been out, so of course he has looked decent in practice.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's even worse this year because he hasn't even been practicing against starting talent because Spencer has been out, so of course he has looked decent in practice.
And you know a dog like Spencer isn't going to go full out in practice anyway.

Things have degenerated badly at RG. We went from a worn out Leonard Davis to obese Montrae Holland to crippled Mackenzie Bernadeau with no real help in sight. If all goes right, David Arkin might end up a career backup, but he's no starter.

With no help at RG, the right side is again going to be useless to run behind thanks to Free, and in pass protection-- well, Bill Callahan should just consign himself to calling sprint left option plays from here on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Travis Frederick happy with first NFL action at center, but says he made a mistake at guard

Travis Frederick liked his first NFL action at center.

“I thought that went pretty well,” he said.

His time at guard? Not as well. The Cowboys’ rookie first-round pick said he wasn’t as clean at right guard, where he played in the second half of Sunday night’s game against Miami.

“The mistake at guard was I overstepped on a shade technique in pass protection,” he said. “That was on me. It caused a pressure, not a sack. But a pressure is still not what we are looking for. I need to be solid.”

Frederick has been working at center the majority of the time in training camp, but the Cowboys are still looking at him at guard, potentially to play him at right guard and use veteran Phil Costa at center.

But Frederick was happy with the way he played at center.

“It was nice going out there with the 1s and to keep working in and keep getting those reps,” he said. “It’s always a challenge for a center with the quarterback switching in and out, but it worked out.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he’d be comfortable with starting Ron Leary at LG in season opener

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
11:24 pm on August 4, 2013 |

CANTON, Ohio – The Dallas Cowboys took a long look at second-year left guard Ron Leary on Sunday night. He was the only player to stay in the whole game.

Leary started and finished the game, impressing owner Jerry Jones in the process.

Jones said he’s already seen enough to feel comfortable with Leary starting the season opener, though no decision has been made.

I don’t want to be the coach, but I’m comfortable,” Jones said. “He just adds a substance. It’s not just his size, it’s his punch. He adds a base in that middle and if you put that with [rookie center Travis]Frederick in there and that really changes things up for us with what we have.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hate just doesn't really even cover it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lissemore had a very disappointing game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And you know a dog like Spencer isn't going to go full out in practice anyway.

Things have degenerated badly at RG. We went from a worn out Leonard Davis to obese Montrae Holland to crippled Mackenzie Bernadeau with no real help in sight. If all goes right, David Arkin might end up a career backup, but he's no starter.

With no help at RG, the right side is again going to be useless to run behind thanks to Free, and in pass protection-- well, Bill Callahan should just consign himself to calling sprint left option plays from here on.
I'd be actively exploring the trade market for another guard. Just see what is out there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just realized George Selvie is wearing Greg Ellis' old number. F him then.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Dallas Thomas were a Cowboys draft pick, I would be freaking out right now.

But I do wonder why in the hell he was at left tackle that much to begin with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think I will have a hard time distinguishing Dwayne Harris and Black Wiener.

Their dreads even obscure their jersey numbers.

Top Bottom