Fred Smoot says no one likes Emmitt Smith

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fred Smoot, whom no one likes, says no one likes Emmitt Smith

Posted by Mike Florio on July 11, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT

When it comes to the modern NFL, Fred Smoot falls into roughly the same category as Marcus Vick. Sure, Smoot had a much more prolific pro football career than Mike Vick’s younger brother. Then again, anyone who ever actually suited up for an NFL game had a much more prolific pro football career than Marcus Vick.

Still, Smoot and Marcus Vick are currently non-factors in the NFL. But they both are capable of saying or doing things that register on the football media’s radar screen. Marcus did it earlier today, and now Smoot has.

According to Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, the man who managed one rep in the 225-pound bench at the Scouting Combine and had a unique, to say the least, role in the Love Boat fiasco teed off on the NFL’s all-time leading rusher during a recent podcast.

“Nobody that meets Emmitt Smith likes Emmitt Smith,” Smoot said. “Have you ever heard anybody say, hey man, I met that Emmitt Smith and I really love him? Nobody likes Emmitt Smith. I don’t know if he’s just a jerk because he’s a Cowboy. I don’t know. He be rubbing people the wrong way.”

For the record, I met that Emmitt Smith and I really love him. He’s funny. Engaging. Friendly. He’s the exact opposite of what I thought he’d be based on his work with ESPN, which makes me convinced that the producers at ESPN had no idea how to use him properly.

The next time I see Emmitt Smith, I’ll have to ask him what he thinks of Fred Smoot. Maybe Emmitt will say, “Nobody that meets Fred Smoot likes Fred Smoot. Have you ever heard anybody say, hey man, I met that Fred Smoot and I really love him? Nobody likes Fred Smoot. I don’t know if he’s just a jerk because he’s a Redskin. I don’t know. He be rubbing people the wrong way.”

Or maybe Emmitt will simply say, “Who in the hell is Fred Smoot?”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
My first reaction was that I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care whether anybody personally likes various Cowboys greats.

But...He be rubbing people the wrong way? How could anyone possibly even take that seriously?

Then again, it sounds like he is speaking Emmitt's language. :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My first reaction was that I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care whether anybody personally likes various Cowboys greats.
Incorrect response.

You are supposed to go aargh aargh aargh Redskin arrgh huh disrespkt Emmitt angruh!

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Diamond amongst trash. :unsure

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Emmitt has an edginess to him, and I think he probably has his good moments and bad dealing with people. I'm also pretty sure he doesn't tip.

gator

Brand New Member
I had a professor tell me that Emmitt's always refused to donate back to UF or his college and that it's not a good relationship. You don't hear that about many guys in both the college and pro football hall of fames.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Fred Smoot wanted to be Deion Sanders so badly it was comical.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger Deion fan boy in my life. Sure, other NFL corners emulated Deion's antics and looked up to him, but Smoot took it to another level, IMO.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Seriously Emmitt, it's time you learned how to rub people.

dallen

Senior Tech
"75 percent of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Smoot." --Fred Smoot

I don't remember what chapter Dale Carnegie recommended insane self promotion in

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Emmitt has an edginess to him, and I think he probably has his good moments and bad dealing with people. I'm also pretty sure he doesn't tip.
A friend of mine is the GM of a steakhouse in Jacksonville, FL and several years ago now Emmitt was in with media that was covering a game in Jacksonville. From what he says Emmitt was a real prick to just about everyone.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I remember the time that I met Fred Smoot at a restaurant in DC. I was with my little cousin who is a Redskins fan (we tried to raise him right). Anyway, Chuck, the owner, is a friend of mine from when I was in the Navy seals. I once lost a bet where I had to shave my head if the Cowboys lost, but he was a swell guy and let me out of the bet. But I was raised to always pay off my bets and shaved my head. He's called me 'Curly' ever since. Anyway, my cousin told me that he wanted to get Smoot's autograph and went over to him. "Bleep off kid. That guy you're with is wearing a Cowboys jersey, so bleep him and bleep you too!" Well, I took one look at Chuck and he just gave me a slight nod of approval. I got up and hit Smoot square in the jaw, knocking him cold. One of his buddies came up to me and thanked me. Even Smoot's friends knew he had gone too far. Anyway, my little cousin is now a Cowboys fan for life.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I remember the time that I met Fred Smoot at a restaurant in DC. I was with my little cousin who is a Redskins fan (we tried to raise him right). Anyway, Chuck, the owner, is a friend of mine from when I was in the Navy seals. I once lost a bet where I had to shave my head if the Cowboys lost, but he was a swell guy and let me out of the bet. But I was raised to always pay off my bets and shaved my head. He's called me 'Curly' ever since. Anyway, my cousin told me that he wanted to get Smoot's autograph and went over to him. "Bleep off kid. That guy you're with is wearing a Cowboys jersey, so bleep him and bleep you too!" Well, I took one look at Chuck and he just gave me a slight nod of approval. I got up and hit Smoot square in the jaw, knocking him cold. One of his buddies came up to me and thanked me. Even Smoot's friends knew he had gone too far. Anyway, my little cousin is now a Cowboys fan for life.
:lol

:golfclap

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Bravo, Bob.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
From this day hence you will be known as Hostile Bob for more than one reason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
A friend of mine is the GM of a steakhouse in Jacksonville, FL and several years ago now Emmitt was in with media that was covering a game in Jacksonville. From what he says Emmitt was a real prick to just about everyone.
Heard a similar story about Irvin too, from a guy who worked at a restaurant in the Dallas area, no tip on a gigantic bill.

Top Bottom