FOX duo of Troy Aikman, Joe Buck offer harsh assessment of Cowboys' offense

p1_

DCC 4Life
Truth hurts? FOX duo of Troy Aikman, Joe Buck offer harsh assessment of Cowboys' offense: 'I'm not seeing any creativity'

By Brad Townsend , Staff Writer Contact Brad Townsend on Twitter: @townbrad

Joe Buck is a play-by-play man by trade. Fox primarily pays him to provide facts, insight, color and sparing analysis.

Opinion? That is supposed to be the realm of Buck's longtime Fox No. 1 NFL team booth-mate, Troy Aikman.

As the final seconds ticked away of a pitiful Cowboys' first half on Sunday in Charlotte, however, Buck couldn't help himself. Actually, he simply told it like it was to the national audience, but the facts themselves were damning.

"The Dallas Cowboys' re-imagined offense: No Dez, no Witten, they have six receptions in the half, 46 yards," Buck said. "They have four first downs and 61 total yards. This has been a whiff in the first half."

Aikman chimed in that the Cowboys also were 0-for-5 on third-down conversions. Surely, Cowboys fans weren't expecting Aikman and Buck to sugarcoat a rosy picture of a first half in which Dak Prescott totaled 61 yards passing and Ezekiel Elliott had 18 rushing yards on seven carries, were they?.

Carolina 10, Cowboys 0.

"Cowboys didn't run a play in the half in Carolina territory and have been penalized 60 yards," Buck said.

Earlier in the half, when Cowboys receiver Allen Hurns failed to gain separation on a third-down out-route and Prescott tossed the ball out of bounds, Aikman opined, harshly, but accurately:

"Well, Allen Hurns is the big free-agent acquisition from Jacksonville, No. 17 . . had injuries the past couple of years . . but he doesn't have speed. . . he's not going to threaten anybody down the field."

We don't know what Fox's studio analysts said about the Cowboys, if anything, during halftime, because KDFW-Fox4 cut to a brief local news rundown, followed by a plethora of commercials, then the start of the second half.

Before the game, however, the Fox studio team showed a montage of comments by a serious-looking Elliott, sitting at what looked to be a boardroom table.

"With losing guys like Witten and Dez, me and Dak have become the face of the franchise," Elliott said. "This offseason we definitely were pushed into a leadership role where we really didn't have any choice but to be leaders.

"Dak and I both grew a lot this offseason. I think we handled it well. . . I'm at the head of the table now."

Fox studio analyst and Pro Football Hall of Famer Howie Long spoke of the added expectations that Prescott carries by simply being the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

"Playing quarterback in the NFL comes with its own set of responsibilities," Long said. "You're essentially the face of the franchise being the quarterback.

"Playing quarterback in Dallas, you're chasing ghosts. You're chasing Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach There's a lot of history in this organization, but they have to put the pieces around him. A couple of years ago they were in the right position: Running game, play-action pass, it was all working well. Last year the protection broke down; the run game wasn't there. It was a problem."

As a national TV audience saw Sunday, the Cowboys' offensive problems of 2017 continued through the first half of a listless performance at Carolina.

Midway through the third quarter, with Dallas still trailing 10-0, Aikman summed of the Cowboys: "We talked about it. They're without Dez Bryant. Dez Bryant had a tough year last year. They're without Witten. But who's going to be the workhorse for this offense in the receiving corps? So far it's nobody. They've got a lot of depth, heard a lot of talk in the offseason about how creative things were going to be with Tavon Austin and trying to work (Michael) Gallup in and Allen Hurns and of course (Cole) Beasley.

"I'm not seeing any creativity."

Moments later, Brett Maher, who was made the Cowboys' starting kicker when the franchise decided to part ways with Dan Bailey, missed a 47-yard field goal.

"So the new pieces are not working to this point," Buck said.

Though the Cowboys did "rally" to within eight points, their new parts and "re-imagined" offense did not add up to much of a sum in this season opener.

Don't blame Aikman and Buck. They just told us the truth.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Armchair analyst

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As soon as I saw them run the same stupid fucking naked bootleg with Williams dragging across the LOS from left to right, on the second drive of the game no less, I knew right then and there that not a god damned thing had changed.

That play, and slight variants of it, killed it in 2016 until they overused it and by the middle of 2017 literally every team we played had it fully scouted. We still ran it at least 1-2 times a game seemingly but never to any real effect.

They might have a few wrinkles thrown in here and there, a few gadget plays, but overall it's the same shit concepts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As soon as I saw them run the same stupid fucking naked bootleg with Williams dragging across the LOS from left to right, on the second drive of the game no less, I knew right then and there that not a god damned thing had changed.

That play, and slight variants of it, killed it in 2016 until they overused it and by the middle of 2017 literally every team we played had it fully scouted. We still ran it at least 1-2 times a game seemingly but never to any real effect.

They might have a few wrinkles thrown in here and there, a few gadget plays, but overall it's the same shit concepts.
I'm about ready to just use some of our other WR's. Give me more Gallup, Austin and Thompson over Hurns and Williams. Those 3 look like they have some explosive ability. It's hard to run a curl successfully for example when the corners have no fear or respect for your ability to get behind them.

Imagine Austin running that crossing route instead of Williams. No corner is going to keep up with him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Honestly what did people expect from this sad group of receivers.

You've got a draft bust who's done next to nothing in Tavon Austin. Allen Hurns is nothing but a one year wonder and that one year was way back in 2015. Terrance Williams has never been a consistent receiving threat. Devonte Thompson is lucky to even be in the league. The jury is still out on Gallup.

Mix in a QB who is lacking in confidence and passing skills and you have a recipe for possibly the league's worst passing attack.

Any other GM would pay dearly for amassing that group of "talent".

Sheik

DCC 4Life
If there’s one thing Joe Buck knows, it’s sucking, so I’m sold.

The offense sucks.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

You've got a draft bust who's done next to nothing in Tavon Austin. Allen Hurns is nothing but a one year wonder and that one year was way back in 2015. Terrance Williams has never been a consistent receiving threat. Devonte Thompson is lucky to even be in the league. The jury is still out on Gallup.

Mix in a QB who is lacking in confidence and passing skills and you have a recipe for possibly the league's worst passing attack.

Pretty much the state of the union right there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm not convinced that William's is even back from the foot injury. That shit becomes nagging for WRs usually.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Even if Gallup turns out to be good(ftr I think he will) most wrs don't really get it until the 2nd year and expecting one who was drafted in the 3rd to come in and produce is unfair af

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if Gallup turns out to be good(ftr I think he will) most wrs don't really get it until the 2nd year and expecting one who was drafted in the 3rd to come in and produce is unfair af
I'm ready to just go all in on him. I've seen nothing from Hurns or Williams that Gallup can't or isn't doing. Just go hard with the young guy and let Dak develop a connection with him.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'm about ready to just use some of our other WR's. Give me more Gallup, Austin and Thompson over Hurns and Williams. Those 3 look like they have some explosive ability. It's hard to run a curl successfully for example when the corners have no fear or respect for your ability to get behind them.

Imagine Austin running that crossing route instead of Williams. No corner is going to keep up with him.
Gallup was wide open on a crossing route over the middle in the game on Sunday. Would have been a very long gain, if not a TD.

Prescott just missed him.

Badly.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gallup was wide open on a crossing route over the middle in the game on Sunday. Would have been a very long gain, if not a TD.

Prescott just missed him.

Badly.
ad nauseum.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think the WRs could be at least serviceable with a competent QB but yeah, 1bigfan13 was pretty much spot on. I can give Gallup a pass(snicker) for now since he's a rookie but the rest of them can go pound sand. This group is basically the equivalent of shopping at the NFL Goodwill.

It kind of reminds me how crappy the OL was until we actually started investing in it.

Top Bottom