Fisher - Sources: Cowboys WR Bryant may have disc problem in back

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys WR Bryant may have disc problem in back
MIKE FISHER
November 07, 2013, 3:50pm

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas wide receiver Dez Bryant participated on a limited basis in practice on Thursday while continuing to vow to play Sunday night in New Orleans. But sources close to the Cowboys standout tell FOX Sports Southwest that there are concerns he is suffering from a bulging or herniated disc in his back and that measures being taken to treat the ailment go far beyond "precautionary."

"C'mon, you know I'm going to play,'' Bryant said in the locker room while declining to address the specifics of his condition.

Bryant missed the Wednesday practice and FOX Sports Southwest is told he instead consulted with doctors regarding the problem. On Thursday he was initially scheduled to sit out the workout. But instead, he moved gingerly through the "pat-and-go'' (jog-through) start of the session. And when the rest of the offense readied for full-speed work, Bryant removed his helmet, walked to the sideline and reclined on the ground under the supervision of a trainer.

"It's bothering him a little bit off and on," head coach Jason Garrett said. "We don't think it's a significant deal."

Bryant, 25, and having a Pro Bowl-caliber season, has fought through back issues before. A year ago after a Week 16 loss at Washington, he required the use of a wheelchair to exit the locker room. This season, he's missed a handful of snaps amid reports of "tightness" and "back spasms." He's certain to want to fight through this as well. But this is not just "tightness" or "back spasms."

There are concerns that this is indeed "a significant deal."

The terms "herniated" and "bulging" are often used interchangeably. They are different, but the problems and treatments are similar: Traction, electrical stim, heat and rest.

Right now, "rest" doesn't seem to be Bryant's top priority.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fan fucking tastic.
Fisher might be overplaying it here...others that watched him practice today did not view him as being in traction.

But it bears watching. And it also should be something that is examined before handing him big money.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Fisher might be overplaying it here...others that watched him practice today did not view him as being in traction.

But it bears watching. And it also should be something that is examined before handing him big money.
Just as long as Jerry is not doing the "examining"...

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
If true, having a disc problem or any back injury for that matter isn't good. Those injuries are hard to come back from. He'll be limited.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Dez Bryant returns to practice

By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he did not believe Dez Bryant's sore back is a long-term issue, and the wide receiver was back on the practice field Thursday after missing Wednesday's session.

Bryant was running routes in the portion of practice open to the media. He was officially listed as limited when the Cowboys' practice report was released later Thursday.

Bryant has been bothered by a stiff back a few times this season, but it has not been as bad as it was in last year's season finale against the Washington Redskins, when he did not finish the game and needed a wheelchair to get to the team bus.

It's bothering him a little bit off and on," Garrett said. "I don't know if it's the exact same thing, but we don't think it's a significant deal."

On Wednesday, Bryant said he would play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints. A source also said the injury will not keep Bryant out of the game.

Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher (stinger) missed practice for the second straight day, and defensive tackle Nick Hayden missed practice with a rib injury that limited him on Wednesday as well.

DeMarcus Ware (quadriceps) was on the field for the second straight day. Garrett said Ware moved well in Wednesday's practice but was not ready to pronounce him ready to play Sunday.

"I feel pretty good and I will try to get a little work done this week," said Ware, who has missed the past three games. "I'm ready to play, and get out there and see what I can do this week. You get frustrated, but you got to find some type of positive note. For me, watching the game from the sidelines, it was a little bit different. I see how guys attack us and how they attack me in certain situations, and it will make me better coming in this week."

Safety J.J. Wilcox (knee), wide receiver Miles Austin (hamstring) and linebacker DeVonte Holloman (neck) also missed practice.

A hamstring injury will keep cornerback Morris Claiborne out for a second straight game, and he is not sure he will even make the trip to New Orleans. He has done some running this week but still feels tightness in his leg.

He said he will return for the Nov. 24 meeting against the New York Giants following the bye.

"I think it'll help a lot, especially the bye week coming up right after that," Claiborne said. "I think the bye week's going to help a lot just in terms of more treatment and doing more stuff to get back on the field."

Top Bottom