Fisher: Should Cowboys follow Patriots' lead with Brent?

p1_

DCC 4Life
the point, I think, was to compare how the two organizations approach problem players. And
that comparison is valid. It is clear to us all how the two handle problem players differently, and
the message that approach sends to the players. That's what I get from this all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
the point, I think, was to compare how the two organizations approach problem players. And
that comparison is valid. It is clear to us all how the two handle problem players differently, and
the message that approach sends to the players. That's what I get from this all.
The difference is one guy is facing First Degree Murder Charges and potential life in prison. The other is in a similar situation to Leonard Little who came back and played football again. Brent isn't facing life in prison, I'm guessing he ends up serving a year or less (Maybe even far less like 30-60 days). You're talking about one facing charges that no one has ever come back to the NFL from, the other is facing charges that players have come back and played the next season with. So you would have to be bat shit crazy to think the two situations are the same.

Now that doesn't mean Jerry shouldn't cut Brent but I would hardly applaud the Patriots for cutting a guy who is facing First Degree Murder charges. The way some people talk about Josh Brent you would think he did something no one has ever come back and played in the NFL from it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think Brent should have been released when he failed to abide by the terms of his bond.

Want to let him stay on the roster until he's tried and convicted? Fine. But there should have been a strict zero tolerance stance with Brent after the December accident. That's why I'd have released him following the recent bond violation.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Furthermore, imagine Robert Kraft saying this special kind of rambling, idiotic nonsense several months after a player of his was being arraigned.

“What I am sensitive about is he is going to be judged, OK? And I am sensitive about him looking like for whatever the reason he’s anticipating a result. He doesn’t feel that way, and so if you are out here getting ready to play you might look like you are thinking you are going to play.

“Well, and somebody looks at that might think that you are not. Normally, people would until sentence get to go to work. Normally they would. Are you being presumptuous if you are out here getting all ready to go and working and doing all that, are you being a little presumptuous relative to adjudication? Could be.”

“I don’t want to be a part of anything that would influence anything here, out of fairness to what he has ahead of him."
-Jerry Jones, April 27, 2013.
:lol:lol

What in the hell is that stupid MF'er talking about?

What the hell does any of that even mean?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I am not sure what the point of this whole thread is.
Then maybe you should go back and read the initial post which contains an article asking the question if the Cowboys should be taking the same approach as the Pats when it comes to players who are in trouble with the law in some shape or form.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Brent should have been released when he failed to abide by the terms of his bond.

Want to let him stay on the roster until he's tried and convicted? Fine. But there should have been a strict zero tolerance stance with Brent after the December accident. That's why I'd have released him following the recent bond violation.
He won't ever be tried and convicted. He will reach some sort of a plea agreement with the prosecuting attorney which has him doing some short amount of jail time that will probably have everyone in this board up in arms over. I know from my experience victim impact statements usually play a huge role in these cases, and since the family still supports Brent I'm guessing the sentence will be on the lighter side.

I agree about the dirty piss test. I don't know if the NFL can count that as a violation of the substance abuse program but it is pure stupidity on Brent's part. Nothing I can't stand more then getting a client out on bond just to have them turn around and violate it like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then maybe you should go back and read the initial post which contains an article asking the question if the Cowboys should be taking the same approach as the Pats when it comes to players who are in trouble with the law in some shape or form.

That's what it is supposed to be about but Aaron Hernandez is a very poor example of that. Someone facing First Degree Murder charges is a no brainer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's what it is supposed to be about but Aaron Hernandez is a very poor example of that. Someone facing First Degree Murder charges is a no brainer.
They cut him before he was arraigned. They cut him like minutes after he was arrested. I doubt they even knew what the charges were going to be since the only warrant anyone had talked about was for obstruction of justice.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
This organization is an embarrassment on so many levels.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Dude, it was mouthwash....ok?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They cut him before he was arraigned. They cut him like minutes after he was arrested. I doubt they even knew what the charges were going to be since the only warrant anyone had talked about was for obstruction of justice.
I doubt it, it's still a matter of public record, I'm sure they knew exactly what he was being charged with. I doubt the Patriots legal department was just sitting back watching TV to figure out what was happening.

Top Bottom