First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States - CDC

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Totally unrelated but think I'm headed to Cheaper Than Dirt to pick up a few more cases of ammo :unsure

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I just bought some acreage and 2 40' storage containers. Time to bury them in the dirt, buy some guns and take a class on using speech that makes me seem uneducated.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The medical profession is apparently either misinformed or intentionally giving wrong information as to how one can become infected.

D

Deuce

The medical profession is apparently either misinformed or intentionally giving wrong information as to how one can become infected.
Or they didn't completely follow proper protocol for dealing with patient's who have an infectious disease. I can say at my hospital, there are patient's who are on a contact isolation order which requires one to wear gloves and gowns, but MDs walk in to talk to them without gowning up all the time. You would just hope that something like Ebola would scare people enough to take care.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Or they didn't completely follow proper protocol for dealing with patient's who have an infectious disease. I can say at my hospital, there are patient's who are on a contact isolation order which requires one to wear gloves and gowns, but MDs walk in to talk to them without gowning up all the time. You would just hope that something like Ebola would scare people enough to take care.

Well, that may be true...but it certainly looks like its easier to contract Ebola then what the CDC has yelled from the rooftops.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well, that may be true...but it certainly looks like its easier to contract Ebola then what the CDC has yelled from the rooftops.
Exactly. I honestly believe it can be contacted by methods other than bodily fluids and infected needles.

I think the government is trying to suppress public panic by downplaying how infectious the disease is.

D

Deuce

Exactly. I honestly believe it can be contacted by methods other than bodily fluids and infected needles.

I think the government is trying to suppress public panic by downplaying how infectious the disease is.
We got a 19 page info packet today at my job. All about Ebola, the risks, precautions and procedures. Everything that was in there is already public knowledge.

I seriously doubt they would give us old or false information so to suppress public panic when working directly with these people.

UncleMilti

Staff member
We got a 19 page info packet today at my job. All about Ebola, the risks, precautions and procedures. Everything that was in there is already public knowledge.

I seriously doubt they would give us old or false information so to suppress public panic when working directly with these people.
All I know is someone that cared for Duncan in full contamination gear now has Ebola....and today it was announced that SEVENTY people had cared for him with direct contact over the course of his sickness in TX.

So...70 people, going home to 3-4 people in their households, plus out eating lunch among the public, shopping, etc......people can downplay the virus all they want....but the fact that someone got it, in the US, with our state of the art treatment and razor sharp ability to keep it from spreading (:lol according to the CDC) should be a major red flag to whats really happening out there.

D

Deuce

All I know is someone that cared for Duncan in full contamination gear now has Ebola....and today it was announced that SEVENTY people had cared for him with direct contact over the course of his sickness in TX.

So...70 people, going home to 3-4 people in their households, plus out eating lunch among the public, shopping, etc......people can downplay the virus all they want....but the fact that someone got it, in the US, with our state of the art treatment and razor sharp ability to keep it from spreading (:lol according to the CDC) should be a major red flag to whats really happening out there.
The red flag is on that particular RN. 70 people cared for him, yet 1 person gets it? That means she was negligent at some point. My guess is she took her gloves off the improper way and got some germs on her. Then it's as simple as rubbing your eyes or picking your nose.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The red flag is on that particular RN. 70 people cared for him, yet 1 person gets it? That means she was negligent at some point. My guess is she took her gloves off the improper way and got some germs on her. Then it's as simple as rubbing your eyes or picking your nose.
And after doing that, did she go home to her husband and kids? Then he went off to his job, the kids off to school? Where did she stop off between work and home?

Once this shit starts to get away, gonna be awful hard to get a handle on it.

D

Deuce

And after doing that, did she go home to her husband and kids? Then he went off to his job, the kids off to school? Where did she stop off between work and home?

Once this shit starts to get away, gonna be awful hard to get a handle on it.
Absolutely, it's got scary possibilities.

Good news is I don't believe she was married with kids and they gave her a transfusion with the blood of the survivor with antibodies in it. Hopefully she'll comes right through and not expose anyone else in the meantime.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I think you are missing my point. We've been told by the CDC that Ebola is very difficult to get with all the precautions that are in place. Whether the nurse screwed up or not...she was still taking tons of precaution.

I'm saying its obviously a bit easier to catch then what has been put out there.

And we still are in the window for other people to show up with this thing...Duncan died Oct 8....so that means theres still 15 days left for symptoms to show up in people who directly cared for him.

I read somewhere that he had 22 people attend to him on the day he died.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't even work in a hospital, but when I use nitrile gloves (for searches at the prison) I use hand sanitizer on the gloves to disinfect them before I take them off.

D

Deuce

I don't even work in a hospital, but when I use nitrile gloves (for searches at the prison) I use hand sanitizer on the gloves to disinfect them before I take them off.
I can't speak for that Dallas hospital, but that's not procedure here. You take your gloves off first, then sanitize. Makes sense your way, though.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Now they're reporting a second hospital worker has tested positive.

Fuck this, shit. Time to start dropping nukes on Texas.

D

Deuce

Just give them back to Mexico and build the wall along Oklahoma and Louisiana.

UncleMilti

Staff member

Shhhhhhh....its not easy to catch.

Move along, the CDC says theres nothing to see here.

:lol

UncleMilti

Staff member
Dr Sanjay Gupta did a great demo on healthcare workers being able to remove their protective gear without issues.

He smeared a little chocolate syrup on him, then proceeded to remove his stuff according to protocol.

He still ended up getting syrup on his arm, neck, and forearm.

Pretty scary.

Top Bottom