Fat Mike with Appendicitis

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Mike McCarthy has appendicitis, plans to have surgery today and coach on Sunday

By
Michael David Smith
Published December 6, 2023 12:16 PM
Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy is not going to let appendicitis keep him off the sidelines for Sunday night’s big game against the Eagles.

The Cowboys announced today that McCarthy is set for surgery today and still plans to coach Sunday.

“Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Mike McCarthy experienced abdominal pain this morning that warranted further evaluation and resulted in a diagnosis of acute appendicitis,” the Cowboys said in a statement. “He is currently slated for surgery this afternoon, expected to be released later today, and anticipates coaching on Sunday night. The Cowboys’ three coordinators will run practice today and until McCarthy returns.”

This is the second time this year that McCarthy has missed practice after having surgery. He previously didn’t coach the Cowboys’ rookie minicamp after back surgery.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Hope it goes smooth for him. When I had appendicitis, it was at the point of rupturing and I had to stay in the hospital for a week getting IVs of antibiotics fed into me. Really super unfun.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Have we ever had an assistant/coordinator coach a game?

p1_

DCC 4Life
So yes, Fat Mike is 1-0 in absentia.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
McCarthy pulling a Hugh Freeze would be pretty funny.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
McCarthy pulling a Hugh Freeze would be pretty funny.
There was a move (comedy) from a couple of decades ago about a dysfunctional football team (Necessary Roughness, The Waterboy, etc.), where the HC was a gruff, hot tempered, and volatile type, and right before the "big game" he suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital while the DC coached the game. While the game was happening, the TV was removed from the coach's hospital room so he would remain calm, but he had smuggled in a radio w/ earpiece... he would get riled up throughout the game but act calm whenever the nurse checked on him, when the game ended, with his team winning (in dramatic fashion), he started yelling, jumping and dancing on the bed. When the nurse came to check out the commotion, the coach then jumped down and hugged/kissed her...

I envision McCarthy pulling something like that. :lol

Anyone know what that movie was?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There was a move (comedy) from a couple of decades ago about a dysfunctional football team (Necessary Roughness, The Waterboy, etc.), where the HC was a gruff, hot tempered, and volatile type, and right before the "big game" he suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital while the DC coached the game. While the game was happening, the TV was removed from the coach's hospital room so he would remain calm, but he had smuggled in a radio w/ earpiece... he would get riled up throughout the game but act calm whenever the nurse checked on him, when the game ended, with his team winning (in dramatic fashion), he started yelling, jumping and dancing on the bed. When the nurse came to check out the commotion, the coach then jumped down and hugged/kissed her...

I envision McCarthy pulling something like that. :lol

Anyone know what that movie was?
That sounds like Major League II. A baseball movie.

Top Bottom