FA Overview: Gavin Escobar

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I blame the bad coaching. Wouldn't surprise me to see this kid turn into another Bennett, or at least a decent contributor on some other squad.
I tend to agree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread.

We knew this thread was coming the second his name was announced.

if not deleted, I believe we had a poll to predict his career and consensus was somewhere around 50-70 catches.
It's sad. Same story that everyone saw coming and Jerry was tricked by Garrett again.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bennett (4 years in Dallas): 85 rec
Escobar (4 years in Dallas): 30 rec

Escobar was passed on the depth chart by not one but two other TEs. Escobar lost opportunities to the slot receiver. None of this happened to Bennett.

The situations aren't the same. Bennett was limited behind a HOFer. Escobar is too, but the real problem is that he isn't good enough.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bennett (4 years in Dallas): 85 rec
Escobar (4 years in Dallas): 30 rec

Escobar was passed on the depth chart by not one but two other TEs. Escobar lost opportunities to the slot receiver. None of this happened to Bennett.

The situations aren't the same. Bennett was limited behind a HOFer. Escobar is too, but the real problem is that he isn't good enough.

He also lost opportunities to James Looney.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not really sad at all, its not like Looney was going out in routes.
It damn sure is sad when a OL comes in and plays in the TE slot because you can't trust your TE to even block. You basically telegraph the play because your TE is so terrible at his job.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It damn sure is sad when a OL comes in and plays in the TE slot because you can't trust your TE to even block. You basically telegraph the play because your TE is so terrible at his job.
Well they knew he couldn't block when they drafted him, just one more example of trying to change the players to fit the scheme instead of adapting it to fit the players. Now not saying Escobar is a great player but he could have at least been useful as a receiver.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He has never been a blocking TE. He isn't built for it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well they knew he couldn't block when they drafted him, just one more example of trying to change the players to fit the scheme instead of adapting it to fit the players. Now not saying Escobar is a great player but he could have at least been useful as a receiver.
He has never been a blocking TE. He isn't built for it.
Like I said, pretty f'ing sad.

dallen

Senior Tech
After a string of awful 2nd round TE picks Escobar somehow managed to be the worst one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway, so is there anyone who actually wants to resign Escobar? It's hard to argue that the guy is talented if no one even wants to bring him back as Witten insurance.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Anyway, so is there anyone who actually wants to resign Escobar? It's hard to argue the guy the guy is talented if no one even wants to bring him back as Witten insurance.
No, even if he's league minimum. Swaim is better and Hannah is better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, even if he's league minimum. Swaim is better and Hannah is better.
Yeah, in my mind it's time to move on. He isn't fit to be Witten's replacement and he isn't a good enough blocker to be our #2 TE. Besides we still have a bunch of TEs for next year with Swaim, Hannah and Gathers in addition to Witten.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
With the schemes that Dallas uses they will never be able to utilize him. He is better off somewhere else.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
With the schemes that Dallas uses they will never be able to utilize him. He is better off somewhere else.
If by scheme you mean football then I agree.

Top Bottom