Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Enlighten me.
I don't mean it as an insult. I don't think most Americans really know what it truly means to have "freedom."

We pretend like we do. We praise our troops for "protecting our freedoms" but most of us don't even know WTF that means.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
It's minor, but here is an example. I want to build a privacy fence in my back yard. I have to pay the city 150 bucks just to come look at my property and give me "permission" to build a fence.

Property that I own. It's mine. I should be able to do whatever the F I want to do if it doesn't harm someone. But I gotta pay money for some guy to come out, look at my yard for two seconds and say okay?

And then if he tells me it's okay to build something on property that I own, then my property value goes up... you know, what you try to do when you buy a place. Make it worth more than you paid for it. And then I gotta pay more taxes.

Taxes in general, forget about it. I can make 4 grand a month but I'm not taking home anywhere close to that.

I want to smoke pot. I love it. But nope, can't do it. It's a schedule one drug, up there with heroin and morphine. But as a consolation gift please have this cigarette and a beer for your trouble. lulz.

It's little shit like that. We're not free. We just have an illusion of freedom.

These are dumb, petty examples, I get it. But there are so many more on a much more grand scale that I can't even think of right now because I'm drinking, which is amazingly somehow still a "freedom" that I have.

Basically, nothing that doesn't harm other people should be illegal IMO.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
There is very little that we do to harm ourselves that doesn't harm other people.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What if I am your neighbor and have a nicer house than you. You decide to build stupid looking fence that's all jacked up. My property value goes down. Now my freedom has been screwed with and I am very angry. And I can't even smoke weed to calm down.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
What if I am your neighbor and have a nicer house than you. You decide to build stupid looking fence that's all jacked up. My property value goes down. Now my freedom has been screwed with and I am very angry. And I can't even smoke weed to calm down.
And what if you get so angry that you decide to drive 120 mph on a twisting road where there's absolutely nobody else to crash into. If you crash, you've only hurt yourself... and your mom, wife, children, friends...

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You smoking weed harms other people EZ, YOU BASTARD!!!

~runs to check on nephews~
Nobody said that, but if you have anything else to copy and paste from a random survivalist blog, it would be much appreciated.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Anyway, what I'm saying is that we have to decide if the degree of potential harm done makes it worth prohibiting an action, but I don't buy the idea that there is very much I can do in this life that has no repercussions for anyone else. I don't agree with the whole libertarian notion that we are born little autonomous heroes who are put down by our civil associations and laws.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Anyway, what I'm saying is that we have to decide if the degree of potential harm done makes it worth prohibiting an action, but I don't buy the idea that there is very much I can do in this life that has no repercussions for anyone else. I don't agree with the whole libertarian notion that we are born little autonomous heroes who are put down by our civil associations and laws.
Whatever, Obama lover.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
And what if you get so angry that you decide to drive 120 mph on a twisting road where there's absolutely nobody else to crash into. If you crash, you've only hurt yourself... and your mom, wife, children, friends...
Hilarious example.

Smoking cigarettes and drinking beer can potentially kill you and "harm" your mom, wife, children, friends........ but do you think those things should be illegal?

Like I said. Most people don't understand true freedom.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Hilarious example.

Smoking cigarettes and drinking beer can potentially kill you and "harm" your mom, wife, children, friends........ but do you think those things should be illegal?

Like I said. Most people don't understand true freedom.
Read my further clarification.

But thanks for bestowing your wisdom upon me, Socrates.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway, what I'm saying is that we have to decide if the degree of potential harm done makes it worth prohibiting an action
You may want government to be your parent telling you what you can and can't do because it might or might not harm you but I want nothing to do with it. Government should not be governing like a judgmental parent. Your love of big government is disgusting and is the opposite of what once made the US great.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
You know what once made the US great?

Burger Chef.

Fuck Hardees.
Those places serve food that clogs your arteries and could potentially kill you at an early age. Which obviously would harm your mom, wife, children, friends..... MAKE THEM ILLEGAL

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Those places serve food that clogs your arteries and could potentially kill you at an early age. Which obviously would harm your mom, wife, children, friends..... MAKE THEM ILLEGAL
I think NYC is on that for ya.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This very reason is why I don't move in next to Mexicans. :unsure

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You may want government to be your parent telling you what you can and can't do because it might or might not harm you but I want nothing to do with it. Government should not be governing like a judgmental parent. Your love of big government is disgusting and is the opposite of what once made the US great.
How presumptuous of you. I actually support decentralizing as much as possible and letting states and cities make their own rules. Then, if Houston wants to ban chocolate or drop the speed limits to 30, I am free to move. I don't give a damn about New York's municipal gun laws despite being very pro-gun because I dont live there. I was merely responding to a point of philosophy I don't agree with.

Just remember, if you disagree with me, it can't be in good faith based on your own knowledge and reflection. You must have been indoctrinated or not understand freedom.

Top Bottom