Ex-Patriots WR Wes Welker weighs in on the playbook controversy with the NY Jets Rea

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It seems like nobody can take a joke these days.
Former Patriots wide receiver and current Bronco Wes Welker addressed the controversy that erupted when Mike Pettine, the former Jets defensive coordinator, suggested the Pats might have had a copy of the Jets playbook.

And all because of something Tom Brady joked about at Welker's wedding in 2012.
When asked if he thought the allegations carried any weight, Welker stopped short of all-out denying them.

“Not that I know of. Every little bit helps, but at the same time I don’t know. It might (help),” Welker told Boston radio show, Toucher & Rich, on Friday.

Welker went on to explain that his old Texas Tech pal Mike Smith, who also happens to be a former Jets assistant coach, used to joke about the Patriots having their playbook.
“We would always make stuff up with each other. Tom got to know Mike as well. Mike would say, ‘Oh so-and-so is gonna cover you in the game — actually no we’re just gonna double team you.’ And I would make stuff up too,” he said.

Apparently, Smith and Brady were overheard by Pettine joking about it at Welker’s wedding, which sparked the suspicion that it might be true. Pettine, now the coach of the Cleveland Browns, shared the juicy gossip with Sports Illustrated for its MMQB site. He went as far as saying that Rex Ryan would pass his playbook around like candy.

“It didn’t shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway,” Pettine told SI. “He gave one out to (Alabama coach Nick) Saban and I was like, ‘Don’t you know Saban and Bill (Belichick) are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it’s going to end up in New England.’”

In the end, Welker brushed off the validity of the accusation, chalking it up to sport.
“It was just playing mind games a little bit,” he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ex-patriots-wr-wes-welker-weighs-playbookgate-article-1.1846809#ixzz35wvwOXhr

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Playbooks aren't that useful, as far as spy material. They are hundreds of pages long and the game book that's selected from it is like 60 plays, tops. It would be useful to know what the other team is practicing the week of the game and what plays were going to be on the coaches' play sheets on the opposing sideline. Knowing a thousand plays they might run isn't going to help much.

Top Bottom