Ex NFL player does an AMA on Reddit & shares his thoughts on Jerry Jones, etc

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Nothing really earth shattering her that we didn't already know, but FYI nonetheless:

Jason Garrett was not the leader the Cowboys needed, but he is not the nucleus of the Cowboy's problems. Jerry Jones is. A players perspective.

In my short time playing in Dallas, I learned a lot about the circus environment that is the world of the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry World as we have come to know it, is the ever present dark cloud that will keep this franchise from reaching the levels of success they attained when they WERE America's team in the 1990s.

The Dallas Cowboys fail because they have an owner who has interjected himself in the daily operations of a professional sports franchise. True enough it is his team, but there is a certain level of trust that an owner needs to have in the abilities of his coaching staff to do the job he has paid them to do. Jerry is the final say on all personnel decisions. He is the spokesperson for the cowboys. The biggest fan of the Cowboys. And in the end, his decree is passed down as if he was the head coach of the Cowboys himself. His influence over the entire narrative for the Cowboys is undisputed, both in the media, and the locker room.

When I first walked into the Cowboy's facility as a free agent signing after leaving Jacksonville, I was filled with excitement, yet that would soon turn to annoyance, as I was constantly reminded of the privilege it was to play for the Dallas Cowboys. Posters, and signage plastered all around the facility pushed a message of prestige and inflated arrogance. And as a player who came from a small market team in the Jaguars, I could sense that arrogance a mile away. This was a narrative that was constantly shouted from the mountain tops while at Valley Ranch, not by the players, whom I got along with fine and had immense respect for, but from Jason Garrett and his staff. This was the moniker that no player could escape whether they liked it or not. It was as if we were in some alternate universe in which the Cowboys were defending Super Bowl champs. Except it was a falsehood.
This was a franchise that at the time (2014) had not seen a conference championship game since 1995, much less a Super Bowl championship. This was a franchise that had less playoff wins than the Jaguars franchise I came from over the course of the previous 19 years. It was quite mind boggling to me that the staff, headed by Garrett, was promoting a false culture around a mystique that had long since faded in the mind of those who lived outside the cultural bubble of the silver and blue. There is no doubt that the market of the Cowboys brand is the most powerful in sports. That market is based on an image that was built on the back of champions. That image is maintained by a hype machine that works in overdrive 24/7 and usually is more to the detriment of those on the roster than a benefit.

In the end, for better AND for worse, Jerry Jones is responsible for the constant failings of the Dallas Cowboys. The locker room in Dallas buckles under the immense pressure, and hype created by long past success. Long past success and nostalgia that Jerry himself is chasing. Until he decides to let go of that past glory and undisputed control/influence over the narrative of his team, changing coaches will not amount to the success he seeks. Until he steps back and lets go of the power he has embellished himself in, nothing will change. Until he allows himself to see the Dallas Cowboys for what they truly are, they will never be what he so desperately wants them to be. The Dallas Cowboys are a mediocre football franchise. A mediocre franchise with an extraordinary amount of talent. And that is solely the fault of the very man who long ago turned the silver and blue into a way of life. Jerry Jones.

-The Observant Lineman
Uche Nwaneri
link to thread

other response:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This was a narrative that was constantly shouted from the mountain tops while at Valley Ranch, not by the players, whom I got along with fine and had immense respect for, but from Jason Garrett and his staff. This was the moniker that no player could escape whether they liked it or not. It was as if we were in some alternate universe in which the Cowboys were defending Super Bowl champs. Except it was a falsehood.
This was a franchise that at the time (2014) had not seen a conference championship game since 1995, much less a Super Bowl championship. This was a franchise that had less playoff wins than the Jaguars franchise I came from over the course of the previous 19 years. It was quite mind boggling to me that the staff, headed by Garrett, was promoting a false culture around a mystique that had long since faded in the mind of those who lived outside the cultural bubble of the silver and blue. There is no doubt that the market of the Cowboys brand is the most powerful in sports. That market is based on an image that was built on the back of champions. That image is maintained by a hype machine that works in overdrive 24/7 and usually is more to the detriment of those on the roster than a benefit.
I'd say this is just as damning of Garrett as Jerry

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd say this is just as damning of Garrett as Jerry
:lol

No it is not.

We all know Garrett came up with his cute catchphrases every year (“Finish the fight”) and would frequently cite the “honor” or “privilege” of playing for the Cowboys. It’s a message that ultimately failed, but it was his schtick.

Jerry Jones is the root of all of it though. He is ten times worse as a circus promoter and influencer of all that garbage, that even if the coach had a different message, it would be undermined by Jones. Nwaneri basically just said verbatim “It’s a Garrett problem, but really, it’s even more a Jones problem.”

There is not really anything else to take from this.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

No it is not.

We all know Garrett came up with his cute catchphrases every year (“Finish the fight”) and would frequently cite the “honor” or “privilege” of playing for the Cowboys. It’s a message that ultimately failed, but it was his schtick.

Jerry Jones is the root of all of it though. He is ten times worse as a circus promoter and influencer of all that garbage, that even if the coach had a different message, it would be undermined by Jones. Nwaneri basically just said verbatim “It’s a Garrett problem, but really, it’s even more a Jones problem.”

There is not really anything else to take from this.
Oh bullshit, while Jerry is Barnum Garrett is his Baghdad Bob

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Loved this perspective. Well written and very damning of both Jones and Garrett, something you don't often see.

I am sure fanboys will downplay it as nonsense from a camp body.
It won't move the arrow for some.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It won't move the arrow for some.
Yep.

ndkjr70 10 points 2 days ago

It feels worth it to point out that this guy spent 42 days as a member of the Dallas Cowboys (training camp and practice squad, never on the 52) and likely formulated this entire opinion after having met Jerry once or twice.
That’s 42 days more than I spent as a Dallas Cowboy, but I’d caution against accepting what he says as gospel when so many say otherwise.
Allen Hurns is a friend of a friend. I’ve met him three or four times and he adored everything about the organization. He also came to Dallas from Jaxonville, and what our Lineman is dismissing as bravado, pomp and circumstance — Hurns described as a first class organization through and through.
---------

I am not sure what this guy thinks his point is. Nobody disputes that the Cowboys are a first class organization. And as for Hurns, he was all in and even treated well by Jones.

That is not the general theme of the thread Nwaneri posted. No matter how great the franchise is, no matter how nice the facilities, no matter what a nice guy Garrett is, no matter even how Jones interacts, this is an arrogant franchise that is not focused on winning football games.

Whomever the new coach is, they will have a huge cultural issue to overcome. And there probably aren't many on the planet that would want to do that that actually have the presence to make it work.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Boddhisavant 138 points 2 days ago
Was Jason a good coach? Any stories? I’ve wanted him fired for around 4 or 5 years now, for the record. His face is awful as well.

TheObservantLineman[S] 364 points 2 days ago
His smile... something so artificial about it. Bothered me every time I saw it lol.
--------------

We have said this for years. He is fake as hell.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I recall very recently, last month or so, Aikman and Buck are doing the FOX late game, Cowboys are losing (of course). Aikman did a commentary about how players and people around the organization are part of a cult, brainwashed in a way, into believing that the team is better than it really is. When it turns out not to be the case, people around the team are shocked, disbelieving. Aikman pretty much paraphrased what that guy wrote.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We have said this for years. He is fake as hell.
I always cringed watching those throwing competitions Garrett had with Dak. So fake and awkward.

It was like when you have to go to a party because it's your wife's friend, and you have to spend time with the woman's husband. There's no chemistry there and you'd never hang out with the guy but you're both stuck there so you pretend like you're interested and it's awkward as hell.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I am not sure what this guy thinks his point is. Nobody disputes that the Cowboys are a first class organization. And as for Hurns, he was all in and even treated well by Jones.

That is not the general theme of the thread Nwaneri posted. No matter how great the franchise is, no matter how nice the facilities, no matter what a nice guy Garrett is, no matter even how Jones interacts, this is an arrogant franchise that is not focused on winning football games.

Whomever the new coach is, they will have a huge cultural issue to overcome. And there probably aren't many on the planet that would want to do that that actually have the presence to make it work.
Yep, that dude definitely missed the point.

The point is because of the culture in Dallas players are treated as if they've accomplished something simply because they're the Cowboys.

They are the only franchise or athlete that I've every seen who gets fat and lazy without winning a damn thing. Normally teams or athletes get fat and lazy after they've reached the pinnacle of their profession. Not the Cowboys. These jokers go 8-8 and and still think of themselves as NFL royalty.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Loved this perspective. Well written and very damning of both Jones and Garrett, something you don't often see.

I am sure fanboys will downplay it as nonsense from a camp body.
That's exactly what I'm seeing from fan sites. Sour grapes they say. And if you agree with him, you're a fair weather fan. The typical shallow fan crap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's exactly what I'm seeing from fan sites. Sour grapes they say. And if you agree with him, you're a fair weather fan. The typical shallow fan crap.
I wrote an article about it and as soon as it was posted, my Twitter account was bum rushed with DMs by a bunch of flaming homers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The message was definitely different under Parcells.
And some of it may be sour grapes. But that doesn't make what he is saying less true. I mean a guy who is in love with Dallas still isn't going to speak honestly about it's faults.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I wrote an article about it and as soon as it was posted, my Twitter account was bum rushed with DMs by a bunch of flaming homers.

somehow this story slipped past me but here is another example of an ex player indicting the GM, et al for being an albatross to winning :

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
somehow this story slipped past me but here is another example of an ex player indicting the GM, et al for being an albatross to winning :

Hatcher's interview is specific, and 💯 credible IMO. I can see where some would question the other account. But it sounds exactly like what we see, even as outsiders.

Top Bottom