ESPN reports the first openly gay player will come to the NFL

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Agreed 100%.

I made that same argument on this board last year when the Te'o thing happened.

It's amazing to me how an out and out playmaker can be dismissed because he was a step slow in some stupid shuttle drill. Likewise, a 4th round talent skyrockets because he throws a ball 80 yards in basketball shorts.

It's flawed thinking.
Te'o performed really well in the short shuttle and 7-cone. Those tend to be better measurables (because they show whether a guy can move laterally).

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If people were paying attention during the Senior Bowl, his stock was already dropping because of his poor showing as a 3-4 OLB...to the third-fourth round area. In the event he goes around there, I am sure the sentiment will be that his disclosure was to blame. I have no doubt there will be some revisionist history at work.
I have no issue with his stock dropping based on his projection as an OLB.

I just think it's asinine for someone to claim he shouldn't even be drafted. The dude was the SEC Defensive Player of the year. Obviously he should at least be drafted.

Also, my comment wasn't based solely on Sam's situation. I've always felt that on field production should outweigh height and weight.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
“It’s not even going to be about football anymore,” Crayton said. “That’s going to be a problem. That’s going to take away from whatever he does on that team and whatever that team’s doing. Every time he makes a play, the announcers are going to open with ‘Michael Sam on the play, he’s the first openly gay player…’ Who gives a care about him being the first openly gay player when it comes to playing football?”
I thought it was gay when you dropped that sure touchdown against the Giants in the playoffs

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have no issue with his stock dropping based on his projection as an OLB.

I just think it's asinine for someone to claim he shouldn't even be drafted. The dude was the SEC Defensive Player of the year. Obviously he should at least be drafted.

Also, my comment wasn't based solely on Sam's situation. I've always felt that on field production should outweigh height and weight.
Heisman winners have gone undrafted, just saying.

But yeah, I think he's got enough utility to be drafted.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Like I said earlier, our society has a very short attention span. I'll bet anything this will be a non story by November.

So sorry, Cray Cray, I'm not buying that this will be a sustained distraction.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like I said earlier, our society has a very short attention span. I'll bet anything this will be a non story by November.

I think it will pop back up if say he got drafted in the middle rounds and got cut. You bet your ass it would.

SfielDallas

Brand New Member

Yeah, I really think ESPN will forget about it and not mention it a bazillion times at the draft...

By Novemeber....probably.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hopefully his boyfriend reacts like Russell Wilson's girlfriend did.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think it will pop back up if say he got drafted in the middle rounds and got cut. You bet your ass it would.
Inappropriate.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I disagree...he has much more to lose. Endorsements in particular...regardless of what we think those would dry up.
Some might, others might not. I think Nike might realize that gay people buy shoes. Also the demographic they and a lot of other athletic companies cater to is in the under 30 crowd that have the least problem with gay people.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Yeah, I disagree with Carp on this one. I think Aaron Rodgers would be just fine.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nobody really knows Sam...so him coming out is not a big deal...Rodgers would be a completely different story.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Rodgers has already made millions and won a Super Bowl. He could never play another down and be set for life. Sam hasn't made a dime. I don't see how anyone could argue that Rodgers has more to lose.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The scrutiny he would be under would be far more than Sam will ever face. Sam will never have the chance to make what Rodgers still can.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The scrutiny he would be under would be far more than Sam will ever face. Sam will never have the chance to make what Rodgers still can.
Well, he PROBABLY won't have a chance to make that much. He's a 4th round DE. So probably you are right.

Top Bottom