Earl Thomas Released by the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Normally, I'd be all over this but this team just has such a good feel about it right now that I don't think I'd want to take a chance on anything that could hurt the chemistry of said team.

For the first time in ages, the Cowboys are giving off a real confidence about the direction they are heading in and I don't want to sabotage that.

I never saw Thomas as this sort of teammate but this is definitely a red flag. Couple that with that weird ass ordeal involving that threesome with his brother, and this looks like someone who we should stay away from.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Normally, I'd be all over this but this team just has such a good feel about it right now that I don't think I'd want to take a chance on anything that could hurt the chemistry of said team.

For the first time in ages, the Cowboys are giving off a real confidence about the direction they are heading in and I don't want to sabotage that.

I never saw Thomas as this sort of teammate but this is definitely a red flag. Couple that with that weird ass ordeal involving that threesome with his brother, and this looks like someone who we should stay away from.
Same here. Thomas appears to be self destructing and I think I'd leave well enough alone and not risk screwing up the Locker room.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A real blunder for the Ravens. I don't remember this kind of stuff under Ozzie Newsome.

Unless they can somehow void that $10 million guarantee, I think they're stuck with him.
From PFT:

Could Ravens be laying foundation to cut Earl Thomas, avoid $10 million guaranteed salary?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2020, 9:39 AM EDT

It was one thing to see that Ravens safeties Earl Thomas and Chuck Clark fought in practice on Friday. It was quite another to see that the team sent Thomas home in the aftermath of the fracas.

Thomas has a fully-guaranteed salary of $10 million in 2020. But this doesn’t mean he’s untouchable. PFT has obtained a copy of his contract, and it’s clear that the guarantee for 2020 evaporates if he’s suspended by the Ravens for conduct detrimental to the team.

It’s hardly a foolproof plan; Thomas would fight any such suspension, and the Ravens would have to show that they’ve taken all proper steps to lay the foundation for the suspension, consistent with past practices and other relevant circumstances that would allow the move to be upheld in arbitration. Lose, and the Ravens would owe him the $10 million. Win, and they save both cash and cap space in that amount.

Even if they can avoid the guarantee, cutting Thomas would result in a $5 million cap charge in 2020 and another $10 million in 2021. However, if the suspension sticks, the Ravens would balance out the 2021 cap hit with a $10 million credit.

It’s unclear where the organization stands on Thomas, but the decision to send him home suggests that they aren’t simply making excuses for a star player, like every team does. And that could be a result of the reality that Thomas no longer is regarded as a star player. A league source has informed PFT that, indeed, multiple teammates have become disenchanted with Thomas, and that they no longer regard him as a high-level player.

Depending on the extent to which the locker room at large agrees with that sentiment, keeping Thomas around could have an intangible cost far greater than whatever it ultimately would cost the Ravens to move on.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Had no idea this guy was as wheels off as he's proven to be.

Maybe he can go beg to Garrett to bring him to New York.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I do feel way better about the team's ability to withstand a distraction in the event they did take a chance him.

You've got plenty of high-character guys and good leaders, and you've got one hell of a coaching staff to boot. You put all of this together and I think you have the makings of a team that would limit any ill effects of a signing gone wrong.

So if the Cowboys were ever in a position to be able to take on something like this, it's now.

Still, I just don't know if it's even worth that given how good of a position the team is in right now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Maybe we can trade Dexter Coakley for him.

data

Forbes #1
What’s Michael Irvin’s cut on the situation? Is he sticking his neck out for Earl Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom