Eagles at Cowboys | Week 17 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/29/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont forget the possible loss or switch of draft choice with Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
We have so many needs but I can't help but think this team needs someone like Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at 17...

Our safety play is absolutely pathetic. Of course we could basically use any warm body on the D-line as well.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Can not say that the game last night was not entertaining. Good to see the defense show a little life up front.

Seemed to me that, again, they got away from the run game. Orton had a nice game, but I don't understand why they put the game on the QB's shoulders like they do. Late in the game is when Murray should be punishing the DL, and yet they set Orton up for failure by continually passing it.

It's house cleaning time, Jerry. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if your GM did a good enough job fielding a competitor this year. This should be the first firing. Let the new GM sort the rest of it out.
You're absolutley right, mate. There's simply no hope for Garrett. It was a one possession game for a majority of the game yet Garrett's dialing up pas plays as if we had 3 TDs to make up.

D

Deuce

Cool video of the Jets locker room after their game when it's announced Rex is coming back. Anyone think ours would react the same for the Android?

http://t.co/EjfyVcTazb

My guess is Garrett would get a few handshakes and a nod/wink from Romo.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Does anyone here honestly believe we undoubtedly win this game with Romo playing? There's a thread at the Zone on this topic.

If Romo were playing I think the results are the same. He'd have found a way to blow it in the 4th just like Orton did. We've watched him do it time and time again in those situations. So it's foolish for anyone to automatically assume that Dallas would have won with a healthy Romo.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I loved the pace of the offense yesterday. Orton got the play then ran said play. He was even heady enough to use the hard count from time to time to draw key offsides penalties to extend drives.

And the ball got out of his hand on time. He took the 3 or 5 step drop and the ball was gone.

Obviously he wasn't perfect but I prefer the pace in which he runs the offense over Romo's pace where we get a bunch of KILL KILL KILL with the play clock running down to 1 second .

Orton's pace helps the OL as well. The DL doesn't get to jump the snap at the 1 second mark like they often with Romo. The pace that Orton plays at is not as predictable so the DL loses half a step.

Romo's obviously the better QB but I think managing the pace of the offense is something that Orton is better at.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I loved the pace of the offense yesterday. Orton got the play then ran said play. He was even heady enough to use the hard count from time to time to draw key offsides penalties to extend drives.

And the ball got out of his hand on time. He took the 3 or 5 step drop and the ball was gone.

Obviously he wasn't perfect but I prefer the pace in which he runs the offense over Romo's pace where we get a bunch of KILL KILL KILL with the play clock running down to 1 second .

Orton's pace helps the OL as well. The DL doesn't get to jump the snap at the 1 second mark like the do often with Romo. The pace that Orton play's at is not as predictable so the DL lose half a step.

Romo's obviously the better QB but I think managing the pace of the offense is something that Orton is better at.
I agree, and it felt the same when Kitna was the QB in 2010.

Romo is obviously better but it just feels different when he's in there, especially when he's off, it just feels alot more hectic and hurried.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Orton's pace helps the OL as well. The DL doesn't get to jump the snap at the 1 second mark like the do often with Romo. The pace that Orton play's at is not as predictable so the DL lose half a step.

I agree. Part of the problem is Romo just isn't as capable of standing in the pocket and delivering the ball. You saw Orton throwing the ball at the highest point while standing tall in the pocket. Romo just isn't capable of delivering those passes because the ball comes out much lower out of his hands. Romo has to find throwing lanes while Orton was just throwing right over the top of guys. I think that's why Orton is able to run the 3 and 5 step drops in rhythm continually when Romo is instead forced to improvise and try and get outside of the pocket.

The game last night actually just reminded me how much Romo isn't a pocket passer and how much I miss having a big QB under center that can run an offense the way it was designed (Aikman). Orton isn't accurate enough to be better then Romo but imagine if we had a QB that did what Orton did last night except he is way more accurate. Of course every NFL team wants that QB.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Does anyone here honestly believe we undoubtedly win this game with Romo playing? There's a thread at the Zone on this topic.

If Romo were playing I think the results are the same. He'd have found a way to blow it in the 4th just like Orton did. We've watched him do it time and time again in those situations. So it's foolish for anyone to automatically assume that Dallas would have won with a healthy Romo.
It was like Romo was playing anyway. They put the game in the backup Qb's hands. No excuse for taking the ball away from your RB, unless he was in Time Out for knocking people over violently.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Yes and I actually think its pretty obvious. We would have played with a healthy lead most or all of the game.

Romo rarely plays as poorly as Orton did last night. Romo threw a pick to basically end the Denver game and people wanted his head (even though Romo got stepped on as he threw it and the defender still had to make a great diving catch for the pick). Orton makes a worse throw behind his receiver and right to the defender without his delivery being impeded to end the game and the season, and all we hear is stuff oh, Orton was pretty good, and oh he must have been possessed by Romo. Had Romo thrown that pick the universe would have blown up. The torches and pitchforks would have been out in full force.

It's fucking retarded.

So yes, it's impossible to say definitively for obvious reasons but the Eagles defense was vulnerable last night and I think Romo would've hit some throws Orton missed, may have hit Witten on that 2 pointer (had it come down to that) and probably wouldn't have thrown two picks (the last of which was absolutely inexcusable).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think we probably would have won with Romo, assuming we came out and established the run early like we did, even if we got away from it.

The defense certainly played well enough for us to win, you can't say for sure but the Eagles defense didn't seem too imposing overall.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bad enough that they don't adjust during the game, but they haven't learned the lesson all year.

Murray came out busting heads, annnnnnnnnd he's done.

Just don't get it.
I have an idea. Let's bring the fucking coach back!

Fdgudjigxamyfbjnfazjkojvdsqdccvg

kidd

DCC 4Life
Yes and I actually think its pretty obvious. We would have played with a healthy lead most or all of the game.

Romo rarely plays as poorly as Orton did last night. Romo threw a pick to basically end the Denver game and people wanted his head (even though Romo got stepped on as he threw it and the defender still had to make a great diving catch for the pick). Orton makes a worse throw behind his receiver and right to the defender without his delivery being impeded to end the game and the season, and all we hear is stuff oh, Orton was pretty good, and oh he must have been possessed by Romo. Had Romo thrown that pick the universe would have blown up. The torches and pitchforks would have been out in full force.

It's fucking retarded.

So yes, it's impossible to say definitively for obvious reasons but the Eagles defense was vulnerable last night and I think Romo would've hit some throws Orton missed, may have hit Witten on that 2 pointer (had it come down to that) and probably wouldn't have thrown two picks (the last of which was absolutely inexcusable).
Agreed. I also think Romo hits those passes to Dez that Orton seemed to keep missing.

Orton wasn't horrible last night but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he played just as well as Romo would have.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I think we probably would have won with Romo, assuming we came out and established the run early like we did, even if we got away from it.

The defense certainly played well enough for us to win, you can't say for sure but the Eagles defense didn't seem too imposing overall.
I thought he played as good or better than Tony. He had one pick that was on the receiver (Witten) and a Romoesque failure in crunch time. In between, he had a shitload of yards due to size and arm strength--qualities Tony lacks.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Agreed. I also think Romo hits those passes to Dez that Orton seemed to keep missing.

Orton wasn't horrible last night but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he played just as well as Romo would have.
Kidd, have you been watching Romo this year?

He'd have probably missed Dez as well. About two weeks ago there was an article that mentioned that on passes that traveled 25 yards or more in the air, Romo had only connected with Dez on something like 2 of 19.

That's horrid.

1bigfan13

Staff member

It's fucking retarded.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't call Orton's play poor. It was solid, IMO. I'd even say he played well if we're grading on a curve due to him being a backup QB.

In far too many of these do or die games Romo's made the exact same mistakes that Orton made. And if you're honest with yourself you would acknowledge that.

Based on that history I doubt the Cowboys win with Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought he played as good or better than Tony. He had one pick that was on the receiver (Witten) and a Romoesque failure in crunch time. In between, he had a shitload of yards due to size and arm strength--qualities Tony lacks.
Orton was continually completing slant patterns that Romo absolutely struggles to ever complete. It's because Romo is shorter and has a lower delivery. Those balls get batted down half the time Romo throws them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom