Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

I think the coaching staff will design and implement a more utilized running game out of the desire to protect Romo. Quarterbacks are rarely hit handing off the ball.
And deny Romo all those awesome stats that makes Jerry think he's elite? No chance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And deny Romo all those awesome stats that makes Jerry think he's elite? No chance.
Already hashed this out on another thread but Jones will protect his investment to the max. He passed on drafting another QB so everything is concentrated in Romo playing. The organization used their first pick for an OL player when he defense seemed to have the biggest need. Linehan sp? came out with a running game pronouncement. Looks like to me.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 2007 pass/run ratio was 531/419, a very respectable 56/44. 2013 was 586/336, an awful 64/36.

I don't see how it can get any worse, and believe with OL personnel closer to 2007 level in quality (and probably better run blocking than pass blocking) that the offense will take a solid step forward... IF Murray and Dunbar stay healthy. I don't see how they can, though, given their history.

Running the ball more changes everything for the defense, especially in the 4th quarter.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Cowboys were looking at Panthers pair before trading up

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 14, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT
NFL Draft Football
AP
Even if some weren’t happy with the Cowboys trading up in the second round to take Boise State defensive end Demarcus Lawrence, at least the Panthers were.

Cowboys COO Stephen Jones told a conference call of season ticket holders that if they hadn’t traded their third-rounder to move up 13 spots to get Lawrence 34th overall, the plan was to take Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy at 47 and then come back with LSU guard Trai Turner in the third.

The Cowboys attempted to move back up into the third round to get Turner, but the Panthers took him 92nd overall after getting Ealy in the 60th spot.

“I would say that Ealy was probably our next pick,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “Sometimes what you read isn’t always true in terms of the [Timmy] Jernigans of the world and people like that. We really didn’t have him in that mix. . . .

“Obviously we would’ve fortified our line for the next 10 years.”

Jones said the Cowboys had Lawrence rated as a “much better” pass-rusher than Ealy, and time will tell if he’s good enough to make it worth a potential pair of starters.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/14/cowboys-were-looking-at-panthers-pair-before-trading-up/

D

Deuce

If that's true, that deal was absolute money.

Lawrence >>>>>>>>>>> Ealy/Turner

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ealy has a sweet setup in Carolina.
Why? He will barely see the field at DE with two guys in their 20's coming off double digit sacks starting above him.

Unless of course the Hardy assault charge has some real legs to it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why? He will barely see the field at DE with two guys in their 20's coming off double digit sacks starting above him.

Unless of course the Hardy assault charge has some real legs to it.
Hardy is as good as gone in in 2015 but will start in 2014 allowing Ealy to ease into the lineup. Ealy has a strong DL around him and won't see the double teams Lawrence will.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hardy is as good as gone in in 2015 but will start in 2014 allowing Ealy to ease into the lineup. Ealy has a strong DL around him and won't see the double teams Lawrence will.
A 26 year old who consistently gets double digit sacks is as good as gone? It's fair to say I have my doubts.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think it is. I'll take one potentially elite prospect over what I perceive as a below average player at the same spot and an average player at another.
Agreed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Agreed and we shouldn't have to keep telling you this.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I guess where I don't agree is that Ealy is going to be below average and Turner just average. I think both will become good starters.

And while I think Lawrence will be better than either, I'm not sure how much better. I don't think he's Demarcus Ware, but I'm struggling to come up with another name he compares to as a speed rusher in that mold.

That being said, just because they would have made a different, worse mistake isn't an argument FOR the mistake they did make.

I could put together two players who would have been available who would have been better choices than just Lawrence. At least in my mind.

Unless Lawrence is a legit every year Pro Bowler.

D

Deuce

And while I think Lawrence will be better than either, I'm not sure how much better. I don't think he's Demarcus Ware, but I'm struggling to come up with another name he compares to as a speed rusher in that mold.
Except for last year where he just went absolute bananas, I'm expecting at least a Robert Mathis type career. I'm good with that and would take that 10 times out of 10 over that other combo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Except for last year where he just went absolute bananas, I'm expecting at least a Robert Mathis type career. I'm good with that and would take that 10 times out of 10 over that other combo.
What if Ealy is Shaun Phillips or Bryan Robison, though? An 8-10 sack 2nd DE.

Mathis isn't leaps and bounds better than that.

Well, other than in terms of longevity.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Except for last year where he just went absolute bananas, I'm expecting at least a Robert Mathis type career.
Those are high, almost unrealistic expectations, and the sad thing is it's all we're left with since he's all we really got after the 1st round.

Ealy and Turner would have set our OL for the foreseeable future while also giving us options at either RDE or 3 technique. We'd probably have two very good players instead of just one whom we're left pinning unrealistic hopes on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:cry

D

Deuce

What if Ealy is Shaun Phillips or Bryan Robison, though? An 8-10 sack 2nd DE.

Mathis isn't leaps and bounds better than that.

Well, other than in terms of longevity.
That's the point I've been making. I don't see him as much more than a 4-5 sack guy a year. A combo of that with and average OG doesn't excite me. I'd rather roll with what we have at OG and get a Robert Mathis career at DE.

D

Deuce

Those are high, almost unrealistic expectations, and the sad thing is it's all we're left with since he's all we really got after the 1st round.

Ealy and Turner would have set our OL for the foreseeable future while also giving us options at either RDE or 3 technique. We'd probably have two very good players instead of just one whom we're left pinning unrealistic hopes on.
What's unrealistic about 10 years of 8-11 sacks per?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom