Draft Profiles

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Since Sturm doesn't seem to be doing profiles this year this guy at BTB is doing them, there are a bunch of GIF's and stats at the link but I left them out so as not to make it a pain in the ass to load the thread.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/26/14394120/nfl-draft-2017-prospect-profile-defensive-end-taco-charlton-potential-cowboys-first-round-pick

#33 - Taco Charlton, Defensive End Michigan - 6-6, 272

Games Watched: Florida St., Ohio St., Wisconsin, Penn St.

Pros: Excellent length and size with a frame that looks like he could easily add weight without sacrificing quickness. Impressive wingspan, looks lean despite carrying about 270-275 lbs. Prototypical physical profile for an NFL defensive end. Powerful in the run game, has strong hands/punch that jolts offensive linemen back, sets the edge well. Generally a fluid athlete given his size, impressive closing speed and agility. Pursues run plays down the line, shows good hustle. Shows the athleticism to employ spin moves, as well as the strength to bull rush, also shows a bit of a rip move. Looks to set a physical tone when he gets to the quarterback/ball-carriers, arrives with “bad intentions”. Has experience playing on both the right and left side, as well as standing up. Projects as a player who could pass-rush from the interior at times. Strong performances against two left tackles who will be drafted this year in Ryan Ramczyk (possibly the top LT in the 2017 class) and Roderick Johnson, also dominated against Ohio St.

Cons: Only one year of experience as a full-time starter, not especially productive until his senior year. Doesn’t have ideal explosiveness or suddenness off the edge in terms of rushing the passer. Pass-rush moves aren’t refined, although this could be viewed as a positive in that he has room to grow under the tutelage of a coach like Rod Marinelli. Loses balance in his pass-rush at times where he loses momentum, isn’t able to recover for a second-rush and/or isn’t able to finish a play once he has beaten a lineman. Doesn’t have ideal bend around the edge and doesn’t do a good job of making himself “small” as far as limiting contact surface, which allows OT’s to drive him past the pocket.

Conclusion: If available, you’d have to imagine that there won’t be many better options than Charlton at 28th overall. I have my doubts as to whether or not he’ll be there though because productive, athletic defensive ends with his size, length and frame usually don’t last too long come April. He doesn’t have the ideal bend, explosiveness, or pure speed off the edge that I’m sure the Cowboys would love to add to a defensive end group that has plenty of size and not quite enough speed, but Charlton looks like a ready-made three down player who can impact both the run game, as well as rush the passer. Assuming he has the requisite work ethic and desire for the game, the sky could be the limit for a player with his tools under a coach the caliber of Rod Marinelli.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/9/14544156/nfl-draft-2017-prospect-profile-tight-end-o-j-howard-potential-dallas-cowboys-first-round-pick

#88 O.J. Howard - Tight End - Alabama - 6-6, 250

Games Watched: Texas A&M, Auburn, Clemson (2016), Clemson (2015)

Pros: If you were to construct the prototypical tight end prospect in a lab Howard is more or less what you’d come away with. He has ideal height, weight, speed, length, and athleticism, with long arms and large hands. Extensive experience as a blocker in a variety of different formations at Alabama; was used in-line at the line of scrimmage, lined up in the backfield and pulled across formations on “wham” blocks, has experience blocking downfield, and was used as a lead blocker lined up in the backfield on sweeps, draws, and counters. One of the most NFL-ready tight ends I’ve seen coming out as a blocker due to the way Alabama used “pro style” formations and asked him to play a more traditional tight end role. Holds up well against defensive ends in the run game from in-line alignments, although he isn’t exactly a physically dominating blocker. Comfortable blocking in space and downfield against LB’s/DB’s. Smooth athlete with good change of direction for his size. Generally does a good job of extending his hands to secure catches away from his body. Has experience lining up in the slot and outside as a receiver. Was arguably the best player at the Senior Bowl practices. Has the physical potential to threaten NFL defenses downfield for explosive plays, while also operating as a traditional, “old fashioned” blocker in the run game.

Cons: Underwhelming collegiate production as a receiver, which may be due to the type of team Alabama is and the scheme that they run, but the fact of the matter is his production did not match his physical potential. Not developed as a route runner, most of his routes in college were very simplistic and designed to fool defenses by making them think he was blocking before he released into a route. Did not run a complex route tree or many downfield route patterns. Seems content to mostly just wall off defenders when blocking, you’d like to see more aggression and nastiness to his game in that regard.

Conclusion: While the lack of production is concerning, his performance at the Senior Bowl where he looked like a man among boys at times as a receiver cannot be discounted. It’s very likely that he will end up making much more of an impact as a receiver in the NFL than he did in college. The fact that he has a wealth of experience blocking in a pro-style system is something NFL teams will love when you consider that most college tight ends these days are often nothing more than “jumbo” receivers. With that said, while all of the tools are there for Howard to be an elite Pro Bowl tight end, he is still something of a projection as a receiver because he was not asked to do too much in that regard at Alabama.

He could certainly be the BPA (Best Player Available) at 28, and with his athletic potential and experience as a blocker I’d definitely be in favor of selecting him considering that Jason Witten likely won’t play more than another year or two, but his Senior Bowl performance seems to have elevated him to a probable top-20 lock. The only way I could see him lasting to 28 would be if David Njoku “blows up” the Combine, while Howard underwhelms, thereby possibly elevating Njoku to the number one tight end in the class in some team’s eyes. Either way, it may be a blessing in disguise if the top tight ends aren’t available at 28 because this is the deepest tight end class I’ve seen in 10+ years. The value may be better in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/3/14494212/nfl-draft-2017-prospect-profile-defensive-end-derek-barnett-potential-cowboys-first-round-pick

#9 Derek Barnett - Defensive End - Tennessee - 6-3, 265

Pros: Plays with refined pass-rush technique and excellent hand-usage, it’s rare to see a collegiate defensive end that is this developed at such a young age. Has an excellent dip/rip move, also shows a good swim move and bull rush. Very strong hands, able to stack and shed offensive linemen with ease. Has good bulk for the position and usually was able to overpower collegiate offensive linemen. Plays with excellent balance, does a nice job of dipping his shoulder and “getting small” around the edge once he’s captured the offensive tackle’s outside shoulder. Has a natural ability to flatten around the edge and closes quickly on the quarterback once he’s beaten the tackle, has good bend despite not having elite athleticism. Does a nice job of reading quarterbacks, has good timing/instincts as far as getting his hands into passing lanes for deflections. Has an impressive first step and “get off” despite not being a quick-twitch type of athlete, anticipates the snap well. Plays with a good motor when he’s locked in. Has experience playing on both the right and left side of the line, also stands up at times and even drops into coverage on occasion (he dropped into coverage about 20 yards downfield against Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds on one play). Ultra-productive with 52 TFL and 32 career sacks. Was dominant this season against likely first-round left tackle Cam Robinson of Alabama. Broke Reggie White’s career sack record at Tennessee as a true junior. Plays with aggression and an edge.

Cons: Plain and simple, he isn’t an impressive or explosive athlete. Has limited change of direction and side-to-side agility. It’s unlikely that he will be able to overpower NFL linemen the way he did collegiate linemen, and his lack of top-end athleticism will be a concern. Struggles if his initial move is stopped, he’ll get stuck on blocks and doesn’t consistently show the ability to counter with a second pass-rush move due to a lack of suddenness. Not as good at setting the edge in the run game as his size would imply because he can get washed down the line if he doesn’t win off the snap. Doesn’t have great length, I’ll be curious to see what his arm length measures in at the Combine. Lacks speed and burst.

Conclusion: At this point in the process many prognosticators are projecting Barnett as a top-15 pick who may even go in the top-10. By and large I am trying to stick to prospects that are at least somewhat realistic possibilities either at 28 or in the second round. So why am I profiling Barnett? In short, he lacks elite, quick-twitch athleticism, and if he tests poorly at the Combine I think there is a possibility that his stock plummets.

If that does indeed happen, and if he is available at 28, it would be a dream come true in my mind. Everybody knows he lacks the quickness, speed, and athleticism that jumps off the tape, but there are aspects to his game that require a different type of athleticism that seem to largely go unnoticed. His natural ability to bend and flatten once he’s beaten the tackle to their outside shoulder, his balance, his first step and anticipation off the snap. He is much more refined than your average defensive end as far as pass-rush technique, and while some may view that as an indication of a prospect with a “low ceiling” who doesn’t have as much room for improvement as other prospects, I also think it is foolish to just assume that pass-rush technique can be taught and applied as naturally as Barnett is already doing it at just 20 years old (he turns 21 in June).

I do wonder how the Cowboys scouting department and coaching staff will view him though since Rod Marinelli puts such a premium on athleticism and speed. I could see him loving Barnett’s motor, first step, and developed hand usage/technique, but I could also see him writing him off due to his lack of “quick-twitch” off the edge. Whatever the case may be, if Barnett is there at 28 the Cowboys should not overthink it, he would be more than worthy of that selection even if he doesn’t fit the picture-perfect ideal of what a edge rusher looks like in Marinelli’s scheme. The only real question for me if he is available is if someone like Taco Charlton or Takkarist McKinley is also available, which way do you go?

Either way, the Cowboys would be exceedingly fortunate to find themselves in such a position.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/31/14444916/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-2017-prospect-profile-wide-receiver-corey-davis

#84 Corey Davis - Wide Receiver - Western Michigan - 6-3, 213

Games Watched: Wisconsin, Buffalo, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Ohio

Pros: Prototypical size for a lead NFL receiver (Julio Jones measured in at 6-3, 220 at the Combine in 2011, I think Davis will measure in near that) with long arms and impressive length. Imposing in jump-ball/contested situations with his size, strength, and large catch radius. Very explosive for his size after the catch, and also in terms of getting in and out of breaks. Can turn short to medium gains into big plays with run after the catch ability. Smooth route-runner who lines up outside and in the slot. Ran a diverse route tree in college, including in-breaking routes, out-breaking routes, crosses, slants, and deep routes. Willing to take hits over the middle in order to secure the catch, plays tough. Very physical and ultra-productive. Has good enough speed to threaten defenses deep, especially relative to his size and jump-ball ability. Seems to be a willing blocker, although like most collegiate receivers he could use refinement in that area.

Cons: No noticeable on-field weaknesses. His stats may be a bit inflated due to the fact that he played against a lower level of competition but he was reasonably productive over his career in games against better competition (37 catches for 482 and three touchdowns since 2014 in six games against Purdue, Michigan St., Ohio St., Northwestern, Illinois, and Wisconsin). He has lapses in concentration at times, which lead to drops of easy receptions, but generally speaking his hands are reliable.

Conclusion: I believe that this is the best receiver in the draft. Most pundits have Mike Williams of Clemson ahead of him but I think Davis is more versatile, is a better route runner, has better deep speed to threaten defenses deep, and is more dangerous after the catch. If he went to Michigan instead of Western Michigan I don’t think there is any way he gets out of the top 10 to 12 picks, but as it stands now it seems that he could go anywhere between about 15 to 30. If available I think he will almost certainly be the “Best Player Available”. The question of course is impact, especially if Terrance Williams is re-signed, or perhaps another veteran free agent receiver, can he make enough of an impact to warrant a first-round pick?

You have to imagine it’ll be difficult for him to get on the field over Dez Bryant, Williams or another veteran, and Cole Beasley, not to mention the fact that both Jason Witten and Ezekiel Elliott should be big parts of the passing game next year. With that said I think Davis could be a top 10 receiver in the league three years from now (when Dez Bryant will be 31 going on 32), and one of the top 10 players to come out of this draft, and for me it’d be difficult to pass that up at the end of the first round. If Williams is not re-signed and no established veteran is brought in picking Davis would be a no-brainer in my view.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/20/14330106/2017-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-takkarist-mckinley-potential-cowboys-first-round-pick-defensive-end

#98 - Takkarist McKinley, Defensive End, UCLA - 6-2, 258

Games Watched: Colorado, Arizona St., Stanford, Utah, USC

Pros: Very fluid athlete with good change of direction and natural bend. Explosive off the snap, and very sudden with impressive closing speed once he captures the edge. Uses his speed well to set up inside counter moves both against the run and the pass. Quick first step, active hands. Good length with long arms. Plays with more power than you’d expect for someone his size as he flashes an effective bull rush at times. Works his way back to the quarterback when initially beaten or pushed past the pocket, high-motor, high-effort player. Shows good timing/instincts as far as getting his hands into passing lanes for pass deflections, even when blocked. Inconsistent against the run when facing linemen, but he does flash power and the ability to stack/shed. Consistently defeats tight ends in the run game with speed and power. Has experience playing a variety of spots as far as standing up, with his hand down, and he has even shown enough athleticism to drop into coverage/play as a QB spy at times. Very impressive against possible first round left tackle Garrett Bolles (Utah) with a strip sack and forcing a holding penalty.

Cons: One-year wonder? Just one year of high-level production. Plays too upright at times. A little shorter than ideal at 6-2 with a frame that doesn’t look like it can add much more weight. I’ll be very curious to see how he measures at the Combine because his listed height and weight is all over the map. Engulfed by bigger linemen at times in the run game. Pass-rush technique is unrefined at this point in his development as he usually relies on pure physical ability and hustle to make plays.

Conclusion: This is an ideal candidate for the Cowboys late in the first round as McKinley shows all the physical talent to be a pure weak-side, “LEO” defensive end with speed, bend, and explosiveness. He is the type of quarterback hunter off the edge that this defense sorely needs, and he could provide an immediate impact as a rookie as part of the Cowboys defensive line rotation. He was slated to participate in the Senior Bowl next week but only recently decided to bow out because he is reportedly considering surgery to repair a torn right labrum in his shoulder, an injury that he has supposedly been playing with for years now. I believe this could benefit the Cowboys, because while he certainly seems destined to be a first-round pick come April (pending the prognosis following surgery), I think that he could have cemented himself in the top 15-20 selections with an impressive week at the Senior Bowl.

This looks like a player that could easily be the Cowboys best pass-rusher off the edge at some point during his rookie season. He may not be ready to start and play 40-50 snaps right away due to his size and considering that he struggles at times against the run, but he wouldn’t have to considering the heavy rotation the Cowboys employ. His natural pass-rush ability and long-term potential make him a very strong candidate if he is still available when the Cowboys are on the clock.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/13/14584638/nfl-draft-2017-profile-cornerback-sidney-jones-potential-dallas-cowboys-first-round-pick

#26 Sidney Jones - Cornerback - Washington - 6-0, 181

Games Watched: USC, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona St., Washington St.

Pros: Very polished, clean technique; comfortable playing in off, press, zone, or man coverage. Smooth back pedal and light on his feet. Was not challenged often but showed impressive ball skills when he was, naturally able to track the flight of the ball in the air and has good leaping ability to be able to make a play on the ball at its highest point. Good change of direction, easily flips his hips to be able to turn and run with receivers. Natural instincts in zone/off coverage, knows when to push up, when to drop, and shows excellent ability to plant his back foot and drive on the ball (click and close). Has enough athleticism and speed to carry receivers across the field. Mirrors receivers well with clean footwork. Arguably the best defensive back on what may have been the best secondary in the nation in 2016. Despite not having ideal bulk he does a good enough job of jamming receivers at the line. Generally willing tackler who will stick his nose in a pile but his tackling form needs refinement and consistency, also lacks physicality and aggression in the run game at times. Has the necessary height and length to meet the new prototype of today’s tall/long NFL cornerbacks. Showed the ability to effectively blitz off the edge on occasion.

Cons: Despite having ideal height and length, he has a slight frame and lacks bulk. Was “out-physicaled” at times by bigger college receivers, which could obviously be a bigger issue in the NFL, not to mention in run support. Struggles to get off blocks in the run game despite his willingness to tackle. Not an explosive athlete, I’ll be curious to see how he tests at the Combine because I wonder if his extremely polished/smooth technique and little wasted motion makes him seem more athletic and faster than he actually is. Exclusively played left outside cornerback in 2016, doesn’t project as being able to play in the slot, is he as comfortable on the right side as he is on the left?

Conclusion: In a very strong cornerback class this is one of the best and most complete players at the position. How he runs at the Combine will likely dictate whether he goes in the top 15-20 or somewhere between 20-32, but either way he should be a first-round lock. If available at 28 he will have to be given strong consideration, especially if neither Brandon Carr or Morris Claiborne are retained, but if there is a similarly-rated front seven player available it’d be my preference to go in that direction and then look to add cornerback depth later in the draft. With that said, if Jones becomes a Cowboy on April 27th I couldn’t complain, he looks like a 10-year NFL starter. He projects well as an outside corner in almost any scheme, and looks like he should be able to contribute from day one, he also has the size and length to play the Cover-3 style that Seattle has made so popular, and that the Cowboys want to run. He might never be one of the elite of the elite at the position, but if he can add a bit of size and strength he looks like he has all the tools to match up with number one receivers week in and week out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/15/14620714/nfl-draft-2017-profile-defensive-end-defensive-tackle-demarcus-walker-potential-cowboys-draft-pick

#44 DeMarcus Walker - Defensive End/Tackle - Florida St. - 6-4, 280

Games Watched: Clemson, Michigan, Mississippi, Florida, Louisville

Pros:
Perhaps the best interior pass-rusher I’ve seen coming out since Aaron Donald in 2014. Extremely explosive off the snap with a devastating swim move when lined up on the interior. Guards and centers in college simply could not handle his quickness and suddenness in pass protection. Good closing speed and very difficult to stop once he gets a step and gains momentum towards the quarterback. Very effective on twists, slants, and stunts. Good instincts as far as recognizing screens and good timing as far as getting his hands into passing lanes for deflections. Excellent change of direction, quick first step, and highly athletic for a defensive tackle, especially when asked to shoot gaps in a penetrating scheme. Refined hand usage as a pass-rusher. Played defensive end in three- and four-man lines, and shifted inside on passing downs. Ultra productive with an astounding 16 sacks as a senior. Absolutely took over games at times against high-level competition (Michigan and Mississippi).

Cons: Really struggles against the run when he is facing offensive linemen heads up and when not using his speed/quickness to shoot gaps. Doesn’t play with great power, even when lined up outside as an end. Limited length with a short/compact frame, I’ll be very curious to see his measurements at the Combine. If his initial quickness is neutralized he really struggles to get off blocks due to his lack of size, length, and power. Not athletic, quick-twitch or explosive when playing on the edge, also lacks natural bend. Can he play with the same quickness/explosiveness at 290-295 compared to 275-280 if he were asked to play defensive tackle (3-technique) full-time?

Conclusion: My main concern with Walker is that he doesn’t look like he has the physical traits necessary to consistently win on the edge as a defensive end against NFL offensive tackles, but at just about 280 lbs can he hold up in the run game as an every down defensive tackle?

This is a problem for the Cowboys when the same questions can be asked about players like Tyrone Crawford, David Irving, and Jack Crawford. Lately it seems the Cowboys have excelled at finding jumbo defensive ends who aren’t quite full-time tackles but aren’t quite explosive enough to play defensive end full-time either.

The clear question here is what about Aaron Donald?

He was only 285 at the Combine in 2014 and is one of the best defensive tackles in the league.

While that is true, Donald was barely even 6-1, while Walker is listed at 6-4. Normally height is an advantage when evaluating a prospect, but in this case it’s a disadvantage as Donald has a lower center of gravity and a stouter frame as his 285 or so pounds is packed into a body that is about three inches shorter. This is why I’ll be so curious to see how Walker measures at the Combine, especially because I suspect that he may have been playing at less than his listed weight of 280.

You also have to factor in that Donald ran a sub-4.7 at the Combine, which is an ungodly number for a 285 lb defensive tackle, and quite important to consider since Donald’s quickness and speed are two key components to what makes him so special. I’d be surprised if Walker could replicate something similar to that number.

Considering his struggles in the run game he looks like a bit of a one-trick pony right now as a penetrating, one gap, interior pass-rusher at the next level, but it’s really one heck of a trick. I’m not sure that he is a complete enough player to warrant the 28th overall pick in the draft, but I can tell you that I would be thankful to have him on my side rushing the passer when it’s 3rd and 7 late in the 4th quarter on the road in Philadelphia, New York, or Washington come December.

We’ll see what happens at the Combine, but I’m comfortable saying at the very least that Walker should be a strong consideration if the Cowboys were to trade down into the 40 or so range, and he certainly would have to be one of the top players available if he made it to their pick in the second round.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why does everyone hate Charles Harris?

Guy looked the best to me; granted I was watching YouTube highlights. But he seems to have the best turn the edge ability, and he showed off some moves as well. McKinley and Charlton seemed more one dimensional to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why does everyone hate Charles Harris?

Guy looked the best to me; granted I was watching YouTube highlights. But he seems to have the best turn the edge ability, and he showed off some moves as well. McKinley and Charlton seemed more one dimensional to me.
I don't think anyone hates him. I think most of us would be thrilled with him at 28. For me personally I like Taco slightly more just because he is built like your prototypical every down DE. When Jerry says the words War Daddy DE, I think of someone built like Taco Charlton.

But I think Charles Harris is every bit the edge rusher of any of these guys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think anyone hates him. I think most of us would be thrilled with him at 28. For me personally I like Taco slightly more just because he is built like your prototypical every down DE. When Jerry says the words War Daddy DE, I think of someone built like Taco Charlton.

But I think Charles Harris is every bit the edge rusher of any of these guys.
Yea, I think most would be satisfied with him at 28. I like Barnett, Charlton and McKinley more but Harris would be a perfectly fine pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This guy just screams Cowboys DE. He doesn't win with speed. But he has an excellent swim move that was super productive for him. He can play DE or DT in our scheme. The guy is excellent at rushing from the interior. He certainly isn't at the top of my list for guys to fix our elite pass rush problem, but he is a guy who I'd still love to have on the team. Just a more talented Tyrone Crawford basically.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, I think most would be satisfied with him at 28. I like Barnett, Charlton and McKinley more but Harris would be a perfectly fine pick.
Harris just looks like a stud athlete out there. When you think of slightly undersized but elite athletes at RE, I think he will fit in perfectly in that mold. I certainly think he has double digit RE sack potential (Obviously there is no guarantee though, guys with potential bust all the time).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This guy just screams Cowboys DE. He doesn't win with speed. But he has an excellent swim move that was super productive for him. He can play DE or DT in our scheme. The guy is excellent at rushing from the interior. He certainly isn't at the top of my list for guys to fix our elite pass rush problem, but he is a guy who I'd still love to have on the team. Just a more talented Tyrone Crawford basically.
Yea, like the article says I think he'd be a nice pick with our 2nd rounder, maybe if we trade down into the mid-2nd from 28.

His real value right off the bat is as an interior pass-rusher in nickel/dime, and I think he could make a big impact in that role right away. Then we'll see if he can develop into something more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, like the article says I think he'd be a nice pick with our 2nd rounder, maybe if we trade down into the mid-2nd from 28.

His real value right off the bat is as an interior pass-rusher in nickel/dime, and I think he could make a big impact in that role right away. Then we'll see if he can develop into something more.
If we could sign someone like Perry in free agency someone like Walker would make more sense. Especially since I wouldn't mind cutting Crawford either this offseason or next.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/19/14659848/nfl-draft-2017-profile-safety-linebacker-jabrill-peppers-potential-cowboys-first-round-pick

#5 Jabrill Peppers - Safety/Linebacker - Michigan - 6-1, 205

Games Watched: Colorado, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn St., Ohio St.

Pros: Possibly the best pure athlete in the entire draft class. Extremely quick, fluid, and explosive with impressive hitting ability and closing speed when attacking downhill. Dynamic weapon in the box when he is clean/doesn’t have to deal with blockers, and can use his speed and agility to make plays. Has innate ability as a blitzer, very good timing and feel. Projects as being able to handle most NFL RB/TE’s in coverage due to his athletic ability. Used in a variety of ways in college; blitzed off the edge, played as a QB spy, brought on run blitzes, covered in middle zones. Added value as a punt/kick returner, possibly the most dynamic returner in the draft class. Quick-twitch athlete.

Cons: Very rarely lined up as a traditional deep safety, only a handful of times per game, if at all. Generally lacks physicality and is a liability against the run when he has to take on blockers, gets engulfed by not just offensive linemen but tight ends also. Relies mostly on speed and agility, really struggles at the point of attack, doesn’t disengage from blocks and lacks the ability to stack/shed (understandable considering his size). Almost always played within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage from the games I saw. Not the most disciplined player as he will overrun plays at times in the run game and has a tendency to grab/pull in pass coverage. Inconsistent as a tackler, he hits more than he tackles, doesn’t wrap up consistently and seems to mostly run full speed into ball carriers in an attempt to create highlight hits. Irrelevant to me that he was used as a RB/WR/Wildcat QB in college, he won’t have a major impact in the NFL playing any of those roles. Only one career interception.

Conclusion: At this point I think Peppers is more athlete/potential than a refined prospect. There is no indication from how he was used in college that he can play as a deep coverage safety and he has no true position. Most will characterize him as the “Deone Bucannon hybrid S/LB” type, but I think he struggles too much when taking on blockers to play that role full-time, and it’s difficult to project his ability to cover with how he was used in college. Strong safety is probably the clearest projection, but that could limit a defense’s versatility because you won’t want him in deep coverage much.

He needs to be in the right scheme and utilized properly to maximize his ability, likely in a multiple/exotic blitz heavy scheme that will look to bring him from different angles and keep him from having to take on blockers too often. His athletic potential is undoubtedly enticing and he could be an absolutely dynamic NFL player, but I wouldn’t exactly be thrilled with another first-round defensive back when you consider that we aren’t even totally sure what position Byron Jones is going into Year 3. With that said, he should get better at whatever position he ends up at once he is able to focus on a defined role in the league.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL Draft 2017 Profile: Defensive End Tim Williams
A closer look at a potential 2017 draft pick for the Cowboys, defensive end Tim Williams.
by Joseph.Hatz

Over the next few months, we’ll be looking at prospects in the upcoming 2017 NFL Draft from a decidedly Cowboys point of view. Taking the Cowboys current personnel, draft position, scheme, and needs into consideration; defensive line, linebacker, defensive backs, as well as complementary offensive pieces at wide receiver, tight end, and perhaps right tackle, we hope to profile the majority of the potential prospects that could realistically end up as Cowboys within the first two rounds. Once the “official visits” start to leak we’ll add prospects that are possibilities in the later rounds.

Today’s Prospect

#56 - Tim Williams - Defensive End - Alabama - 6-4, 252

College Stats:

TacklesDef IntFumbles
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2013AlabamaSECLB32131.00.0000000
*2014AlabamaSECSOLB62351.51.5000000
*2015AlabamaSECJRLB111261811.59.5000100
2016AlabamaSECSRLB142293116.09.0000212
CareerAlabama38195730.020.0000312

Data courtesy CFB at Sports-Reference.com.

Games Watched: Texas A&M, Tennessee, USC, Washington, LSU, Clemson

Pros: Explosive first step, maybe one of the best in the draft. Flashes natural bend around the edge, fluid athlete who can get low and dip his shoulder. Shows good power relative to his size at the point of attack, uses his “inside arm” well. Flashes an array of pass rush moves including a rip, swim, spin, bull rush, and quick inside counter move. Advanced hand usage in his pass-rush. Better against the run in limited snaps than his size would suggest, but overall it’s difficult to project his ability against the run because he was primarily a pass-rush specialist. Quick-twitch athlete. Played standing up and with his hand down.

Cons: Inconsistent effort and he disappears for long stretches. He seems too willing to stay blocked at times when his initial move is stopped. Did not show up for the 2016 BCS Title game at all even though he was primarily matched up against a poor Clemson right tackle. Loses balance far too often in his pass rush, leading to a loss of speed and momentum. Doesn’t consistently flatten around the edge, is pushed beyond the quarterback far too often. Had a massive talent advantage at Alabama and was primarily only asked to be a part-time, pass-rush specialist, so he was usually on the field in advantageous down and distances. Narrow frame and lower body, can he add weight without losing speed? I tend to think his listed weight of 252 is over-exaggerated, perhaps even his height, we’ll see how he measures at the Combine. Lacks ideal length. Significant off-field concerns with rumors of multiple failed drug tests, also arrested in September 2016 on gun and marijuana charges.

Conclusion: If Williams were completely clean off the field he’d be a strong candidate with the 28th pick, but I do not think he is as much of a slam dunk as some would have you believe. There are clear on-field concerns; most notably that he was a pass-rush specialist/part-time only player in college, that he disappeared for long stretches, that it’s difficult to project his ability in the run game, and that there is a very strong possibility that he is well below his listed weight, not to mention with a frame that looks like it may not be able to hold much more weight efficiently.

His pure pass-rush ability, explosiveness off the edge, and athleticism is obvious, and that’s why if he was clean off the field he’d be a very strong consideration at 28, despite the fact that I think he is better suited as a 3-4 OLB and may not ever have the bulk to play full-time as a 4-3 DE. But when you consider the off-field concerns I think it’s clear that you can’t consider this player in the first, especially for the Cowboys, a team that has seen two recent second-round investments miss extensive amount of time due to drug-related suspensions.

The only real question for me is what do you do if he is there at 60?

If it were up to me I’d likely still pass, but at least that is much more of a conversation than taking him in the first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Conclusion: At this point I think Peppers is more athlete/potential than a refined prospect. There is no indication from how he was used in college that he can play as a deep coverage safety and he has no true position. Most will characterize him as the “Deone Bucannon hybrid S/LB” type, but I think he struggles too much when taking on blockers to play that role full-time, and it’s difficult to project his ability to cover with how he was used in college. Strong safety is probably the clearest projection, but that could limit a defense’s versatility because you won’t want him in deep coverage much.
It's funny, you read this and you sort of wonder why the hell Michigan had him up near the line of scrimmage at all. Frankly with all his athletic ability I think Michigan did him a disservice not playing him like a true FS. I'd like to see what Peppers can do when given a chance to just be a normal safety. He certainly doesn't lack for athletic ability. And he had a ton of tackles for loss as well as some sacks so he can't be all that bad at making plays. It's like everyone just assumes he can't play a normal safety role since Michigan didn't use him that way.

Frankly I think Michigan just knew that the Big Ten sucks at passing and that he would be a better use to them up near the line of scrimmage chasing things down.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's funny, you read this and you sort of wonder why the hell Michigan had him up near the line of scrimmage at all. Frankly with all his athletic ability I think Michigan did him a disservice not playing him like a true FS. I'd like to see what Peppers can do when given a chance to just be a normal safety. He certainly doesn't lack for athletic ability. And he had a ton of tackles for loss as well as some sacks so he can't be all that bad at making plays. It's like everyone just assumes he can't play a normal safety role since Michigan didn't use him that way.

Frankly I think Michigan just knew that the Big Ten sucks at passing and that he would be a better use to them up near the line of scrimmage chasing things down.
Maybe although I don't know if he has the range to play as the deep safety, I think he's much better by the line and using his athleticism moving downhill than side to side or backwards, which is probably why he's most often projected as a strong safety.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Maybe although I don't know if he has the range to play as the deep safety, I think he's much better by the line and using his athleticism moving downhill than side to side or backwards, which is probably why he's most often projected as a strong safety.
I think he's a perfect rover Buchannon, Barron, Su'a Cravens-type, who would excel in a 3-4.

Bad system match for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he's a perfect rover Buchannon, Barron, Su'a Cravens-type, who would excel in a 3-4.

Bad system match for us.
Correct. It amazes me why people kiss Marinelli's ass when his rigid outdated system knocks out good talent because of poor scheme fit.

Top Bottom