Draft Chatter Thread...

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Fresno State
6021v 215v 4.80
Derek Carr is one of the most pro ready quarterbacks in this draft and should make a quick adjustment to the next level. He led the country with 5083 yards passing, completing 68.9% of his passes for 50 touchdowns and only 8 interceptions.Hand-9 1/8"
That's not his hand they measured

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would be disappointed with Jernigan as the pick with better values left on the board.

I get we need a DT, but I don't think he is the best player available with who got picked afterwards. In fact, I don't think he is the best second DT in this draft (first if you consider Nix a true NT), which is what Prisco is basically saying.
Especially when you consider Easley in the second might be the best value.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mock draft 2.0: Jags fill QB need with Manziel

By Daniel Jeremiah |

NFL Media analyst

Published: Feb. 11, 2014 at 06:43 p.m.

Note: A coin flip between the Baltimore Ravens and Dallas Cowboys will determine picks No. 16 and No. 17.

Pick No.

HOU

Jadeveon Clowney

DE

South Carolina

Blake Bortles fits the Bill O'Brien quarterback profile but passing on Clowney will prove to be difficult.

Pick No.

STL

Greg Robinson

OT

Auburn

Robinson will provide a physical presence in the run game and he has the tools to be a dominant pass protector.

Pick No.

JAC

Johnny Manziel

QB

Texas A&M

The Jaguars could take a pass rusher or WR Sammy Watkins, but Manziel’s playmaking ability would provide a much-needed spark for their offense.

Pick No.

CLE

Teddy Bridgewater

QB

Louisville

The Browns have been searching for a franchise quarterback for more than a decade and Bridgewater’s combination of accuracy, poise and toughness is very appealing.

Pick No.

OAK

Blake Bortles

QB

Central Florida

The Raiders could go in several different directions, but they need a long-term solution at quarterback.

Pick No.

ATL

Khalil Mack

OLB

Buffalo

The Falcons’ pass rush needs to be upgraded, and Mack is the second-best edge rusher in the draft.

Pick No.

TB

Anthony Barr

OLB

UCLA

Barr could play linebacker in the Bucs’ base defense and put his hand on the ground in passing situations.

Pick No.

MIN

C.J. Mosley

OLB

Alabama

If the top three quarterbacks are off the board, Mosley would be a great fit in Mike Zimmer’s defense.

Pick No.

BUF

Sammy Watkins

WR

Clemson

In this scenario, the Bills couldn’t pass up the most dynamic offensive player in the draft.

Pick No.

DET

Justin Gilbert

CB

Oklahoma St.

The Lions have some talented young cornerbacks, but Gilbert is on another level and he would match up well with the bigger wideouts in the NFC North.

Pick No.

TEN

Jake Matthews

OT

Texas A&M

Matthews would be an upgrade over veteran right tackle David Stewart and he could eventually replace Michael Roos on the left side.

Pick No.

NYG

Taylor Lewan

OT

Michigan

The Giants could look at cornerback or wide receiver with this pick, but they have a long track record of selecting linemen in the first round.

Pick No.

STL

Mike Evans

WR

Texas A&M

Adding Robinson and Evans would give the Rams a physical offense to pair with one of the best young defenses in the NFL.

Pick No.

CHI

Timmy Jernigan

DT

Florida St.

The Bears have a desperate need at the safety position, but Jernigan is too good to pass up at this point in the draft.

Pick No.

PIT

Kelvin Benjamin

WR

Florida St.

Benjamin’s size and playmaking ability would be a perfect complement to Antonio Brown.

Pick No.

BAL

Eric Ebron

TE

North Carolina

Ebron would flourish in offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak’s system.

Pick No.

DAL

Calvin Pryor

FS

Louisville

The Cowboys have a need at safety and Pryor’s combination of range, ball skills and toughness would be tough to pass up.

Pick No.

NYJ

Marqise Lee

WR

USC

The Jets need to surround Geno Smith with more firepower and Lee has been a big-play machine throughout his college career.

Pick No.

MIA

Zack Martin

OT

Notre Dame

Miami must address the offensive line during the offseason and Martin is one of the more consistent players in this draft class.

Pick No.

ARI

Morgan Moses

OT

Virginia

Moses helped himself with a rock-solid performance at the Senior Bowl and he’s capable of playing either left or right tackle.

Pick No.

GB

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

S

Alabama

The Packers are in a division with elite pass catchers and they need a rangy safety to plug into their defense.

Pick No.

PHI

Darqueze Dennard

CB

Michigan St.

The Eagles need to upgrade their secondary and Dennard is a physical cornerback with outstanding ball skills.

Pick No.

KC

Brandin Cooks

WR

Oregon St.

Cooks is a very explosive vertical threat and he’s also a polished route runner.

Pick No.

CIN

Ra'Shede Hageman

DT

Minnesota

The Hageman Express is going to leave the station after he works out in Indianapolis.

Pick No.

SD

Louis Nix III

DT

Notre Dame

Nix has the tools to be a dominant three-down player in the Chargers’ defensive system.

Pick No.

CLE

Carlos Hyde

RB

Ohio St.

Hyde’s combination of power, speed and vision would fit nicely alongside the Browns’ other offensive weapons.

Pick No.

NO

Kony Ealy

OLB

Missouri

Ealy has a huge upside as an edge rusher and he would fill a position of need for Rob Ryan’s defense.

Pick No.

CAR

Davante Adams

WR

Fresno St.

Cam Newton needs more weapons and Adams is a red-zone machine with double-digit touchdown potential.

Pick No.

NE

Jace Amaro

TE

Texas Tech

Amaro could put up monster numbers playing in this offense.

Pick No.

SF

Bradley Roby

CB

Ohio St.

Roby is an explosive, fluid athlete that would fit nicely in the 49ers’ secondary.

Pick No.

DEN

Jarvis Landry

WR

LSU

Landry won’t run a fast 40-time, but he’s a savvy route-runner with outstanding toughness and ball skills.

Pick No.

SEA

Stephon Tuitt

DE

Notre Dame

The Seahawks have a very deep roster and that will allow them to take the best available player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ford's a guy that's rapidly becoming a pet cat for me. How did Donald fall out of the first round completely?
Depends on whose mock you are looking at. Some have him there, some don't. I don't think his stock has changed much since the Senior Bowl.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Johnny Manziel, the next Tony Romo? Matching prospects, pros

By Daniel Jeremiah
NFL Media analyst
Published: Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

When it comes to projecting how today's top prospects will perform at the next level, it can be helpful to consider which pro players they resemble. As yet another crop of rising stars prepares for the NFL Scouting Combine, I thought I'd match five key prospects up with the NFL veterans whose careers might best illustrate their potential.

Note: The measurables of the NFL players listed below (height, weight and speed) were pulled either from NFL Scouting Combine data or their pro days results. The measurables of the current draft prospects are estimates from scouting sources.

Johnny Manziel

Tale of the tape: Quarterback, Texas A&M, 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, 4.55-second 40-yard dash.

Pro comparison: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys, 6-2 1/8, 230, 5.01 40.

It's tough to come up with a perfect comparison for Manziel. His build and frame are similar to that of Jeff Garcia. His smooth, effortless running style reminds me a little bit of Michael Vick (although Vick in his prime was more explosive). His scrambling ability has elicited more than a few comparisons to Doug Flutie. However, I decided to go with Tony Romo. The Cowboys' signal-caller is bigger, but he and Manziel have similar skill sets and styles of play.

As passers, neither Manziel nor Romo have elite arm strength, but they can both generate enough velocity to make all of the throws on the passing tree. Also, they can deliver the ball accurately from a variety of platforms and arm angles. They both have outstanding pocket awareness and the ability to escape the free rusher. They excel at extending plays and delivering accurate throws while on the move, to both the right and left sides of the field. The biggest difference between the two lies in Manziel's ability to take off and pick up chunk yardage as a runner.

Jadeveon Clowney

Tale of the tape: Defensive end, South Carolina, 6-6, 274, 4.5 40.

Pro comparison: Mario Williams, Buffalo Bills, 6-7, 295, 4.71 40.

The word "freak" gets thrown around quite often in the scouting community. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes it's misused, but when it comes to Clowney and Williams, it's a very accurate descriptor. Both guys have a rare combination of height, length, power and explosiveness. Both guys received some flak for taking plays off in their final collegiate seasons, but both guys ultimately put together enough dominant performances to quiet their critics.

Williams was selected No. 1 overall by the Houston Texans in the 2006 NFL Draft, chosen ahead of several marquee skill position players, including a prolific dual-threat quarterback from the Houston area in Vince Young. It's very possible that this year, the Texans could make a similar move with the first overall pick in the draft, once again selecting a dominant defender instead of an accomplished signal-caller with Texas ties.

Khalil Mack

Tale of the tape: Linebacker, Buffalo, 6-2 5/8, 245, 4.65 40.

Pro comparison: Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers, 6-3 1/8, 243, 4.67 40.

Mack is one of my favorite players in this draft class. He has a relentless motor, explosive get-off and violent hands, three of the same qualities I noticed in Clay Matthews when I scouted him at USC. Matthews is more fluid and has an easier time bending the edge, but he and Mack are both ideal fits as 3-4 outside linebackers. Their physical measurables are almost identical. Matthews produced 10 sacks in his rookie campaign, a total that Mack is plenty capable of matching in his inaugural season.

Mike Evans

Tale of the tape: Wide receiver, Texas A&M, 6-5, 225, 4.55 40.

Pro comparison: Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears, 6-2 3/4, 213, 4.53 40.

Jeffery and the taller Evans both play an "above the rim" brand of football. Scouts refer to jump-ball situations, in which the receiver and cornerback both have a 50 percent chance of making a play, as 50-50 balls. With these two guys, though, the more appropriate breakdown might be 90-10. They have an incredible ability to time their jumps, high-point the football and secure the catch. Their combination of concentration and catch radius makes them elite red-zone weapons.

Jarvis Landry

Tale of the tape: Wide receiver, LSU, 6-1, 195, 4.68 40.

Pro comparison: Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers, 6-1, 211, 4.69 40.

Tough. Dependable. Clutch. Those are three words often used to describe Anquan Boldin -- and I noticed the same three words on my notepad after studying Landry. I see a lot of similarities between these two players. Boldin didn't run a fast 40-yard dash (in fact, the time I listed above is from his pro day; he actually ran slower at the NFL Scouting Combine), and I've been told by scouting buddies that Landry won't test well, either.

While both guys might lack timed speed, they both have the quickness and route-running savvy to create separation from their opponents. Both players have very strong hands, and they both attack the ball in the air. Both are also physical runners who are difficult to bring down after the catch. Landry might drop out of the first round, but he's equipped to have a big rookie season. Sound familiar?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert says this is deepest draft in 30 years

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Feb. 13, 2014 at 08:10 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 13, 2014 at 09:54 a.m.

The 2014 NFL Draft is deep with talent.

Really deep.

So deep, in fact, that the back end of that talent isn't prepared to play at the pro level. That's what Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert suggested Wednesday with regard to a record number of underclassmen declaring draft eligibility.

Calling this year's draft "as deep across the board as any draft I've seen in 30 years," Colbert added that some underclassmen simply aren't ready for the NFL. Last month, an NFL record 98 underclassmen were granted special eligibility for the draft. A dozen of those weren't even invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, which bodes poorly for their draft hopes given that far more prospects are invited to the combine than will ultimately be picked.

As for the depth that will be drafted, however, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah sees plenty, as well. So deep, in fact, that immediate starters will still be available on day three of the draft, with about the first 100 picks off the board.

"Last year's draft lacked star power at the top, but it was very deep. This year's crop has both star power and depth," Jeremiah said. "There will be a lot of first-year starters selected in the fourth and fifth round."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Jarvis Landry as a mid-round WR, I really don't want to go WR with one of our first 3 picks unless the value is just amazing but Landry in the 4th would be solid.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
NFL analyst: Johnny Manziel looked 'almost undraftable' at times

NFL analyst: Johnny Manziel looked 'almost undraftable' at times

We've all seen Johnny Manziel's dazzling highlights, but the lowlights stand out to one NFL analyst.

NFL Films producer Greg Cosell isn't impressed with what he saw in some of the former Texas A&M quarterback's losses last season.

"He played two games this year, LSU and Missouri. If those were the first two games you put on and watched, you'd say he was almost undraftable," Cosell said on the "Midday 180" radio program in Nashville, Tenn. "He was so bad in those two games, that you'd struggle to figure out, 'Can I even draft this guy?'"

Manziel threw for 224 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions against LSU. In the regular season finale against Missouri, he was held to 195 yards passing and just one touchdown.

Manziel may have struggled in those games, but he was still impressive in the Aggies' other two losses to Auburn and one of college football's top defenses in Alabama.

"I've studied him maybe the hardest, because he's maybe the most polarizing player," Cosell said. "As you evaluate and transition him, there is a wide variation in his play. So there is a consistency issue."

Manziel was able to escape some of the best defenses in the SEC, but will he be able to do it against Pro Bowlers in the NFL?

"At times, he's shown very strong flashes of structured pocket play that clearly projects to the NFL," Cosell said. "So I think it will come down to how you balance these issues. He's much more of a see-it, throw-it quarterback than an anticipation thrower. He's not really a timing and anticipation thrower on film."

Manziel is projected to be a top-10 draft pick and one of the favorites to go No. 1 overall to the Houston Texans.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Douchebag.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Douchebag.
I think taking him at #1 would be a terrible decision.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiper Big Board by position
Quarterbacks
1. *Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. *Blake Bortles, UCF
3. **Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
6. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
8. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
9. *Brett Smith, Wyoming
10. Aaron Murray, Georgia

Running backs
1. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
2. *Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
3. *Bishop Sankey, Washington
4. *Jeremy Hill, LSU
5. *Lache Seastrunk, Baylor
6. *De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
7. *Tre Mason, Auburn
8. Charles Sims, West Virginia
9. Dri Archer, Kent State
10. Andre Williams, Boston College

Fullbacks
1. Trey Millard, Oklahoma
2. Ryan Hewitt, Stanford
3. Jay Prosch, Auburn
4. J.C. Copeland, LSU
5. Kiero Small, Arkansas
6. Chad Young, San Diego State
7. Chad Abram, Florida State
8. C.J. Zimmerer, Nebraska
9. Jordan Luallen, Cincinnati
10. David Sims, Georgia Tech

Wide receivers
1. *Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. *Marqise Lee, USC
3. **Mike Evans, Texas A&M
4. *Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
5. *Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
6. **Davante Adams, Fresno State
7. *Jarvis Landry, LSU
8. **Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
9. Robert Herron, Wyoming
10. Josh Huff, Oregon

Tight ends
1. *Eric Ebron, North Carolina
2. *Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
3. *Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
4. *Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
5. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
6. Crockett Gillmore, Colorado State
7. Marcel Jensen, Fresno State
8. *Jake Murphy, Utah
9. *Colt Lyerla, Oregon
10. Jordan Najvar, Baylor

Offensive tackles
1. *Greg Robinson, Auburn
2. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
3. Taylor Lewan, Michigan
4. Zack Martin, Notre Dame
5. *Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
6. *Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
7. Morgan Moses, Virginia
8. Jack Mewhort, Ohio State
9. Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee
10. Seantrel Henderson, Miami (Fla.)

Offensive guards
1. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State
2. *David Yankey, Stanford
3. Brandon Thomas, Clemson
4. *Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
5. Cyril Richardson, Baylor
6. Joel Bitonio, Nevada
7. Jon Halapio, Florida
8. John Urschel, Penn State
9. Chris Watt, Notre Dame
10. Ryan Groy, Wisconsin

Centers
1. *Marcus Martin, USC
2. Weston Richburg, Colorado State
3. *Russell Bodine, North Carolina
4. Travis Swanson, Arkansas
5. Bryan Stork, Florida State
6. Jonotthan Harrison, Florida
7. Tyler Larsen, Utah State
8. Dillon Farrell, New Mexico
9. James Stone, Tennessee
10. Zac Kerin, Toledo​

D

Deuce

Douchebag.
What do you expect him to say?

D

Deuce

I'm not the biggest Aaron Murray fan in the world but being ranked 10th is ridiculous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not the biggest Aaron Murray fan in the world but being ranked 10th is ridiculous.
Especially behind Logan Thomas. I get how you downgrade him because of the knee, but the guy can take the field with no legs and be better than Thomas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is a college all star game on CBS Sports Network called the "College All Star Bowl".

I have seen high school games with better attendance. I think everyone in the stands is a scout.

When some kid from Wake Forest is a starting QB, that tells me a lot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What a dick...he has confidence in himself and wants to be the #1 pick? Waaaaaaa

Carp

DCC 4Life
Garopollo over Mettenberger...interesting.

Top Bottom