Donovan McNabb says Cowboys could have ‘major problem’ if they don’t pay Dak Prescott

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The silly thing about all this is ideally he'd get extended before the end of the deal anyway.

As a fan, there is little question that a longer deal benefits the team.
That's true but guys with 4 year deals will get extended after 3. Guys with 5 won't get extended until 4. It's still a year longer before the next deal either way you slice it.

Honestly 4 years is a long time in the NFL. No one knows what will happen by then. I think both sides are kind of silly to be bickering over it. I'm a Cowboys fan before I'm a Dak fan so I prefer he take the fifth year if it helps the team. But I also think pissing off the franchise QB would be a detriment to the Cowboys, so as a fan I want them to stop bickering too. All this over one year of football at 35 mil. Dak can just hold out 3 years from now if he wants a new deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo signed a six-year extension starting with the 2014 season. He played one year of it.
I don't expect it but what if Dak starts getting injured in 3 years. Or he gets hurt and we realize our backup is great like Dak was. It's impossible to know in the NFL, Cam went from MVP to turd no one wants in the blink of an eye.

I'd just do a 4 year deal and be done with it. Or make it a fifth year option with a big pay raise. Evaluate it then down the road.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't expect it but what if Dak starts getting injured in 3 years. Or he gets hurt and we realize our backup is great like Dak was. It's impossible to know in the NFL, Cam went from MVP to turd no one wants in the blink of an eye.

I'd just do a 4 year deal and be done with it. Or make it a fifth year option with a big pay raise. Evaluate it then down the road.
That’s a proposal that could possibly work for the owner and leave him with the position he may be looking for. If that got pitched in the trash by the agent I think Jones should outright as Dak to change Agents. That would be as far as I would go if I made the decisions. The final decision should always rest with the owner because if they lose that they have surrendered the franchise.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry is a damned sentimental collector who loves signing his favorite people for way longer than he needs to.

Not so much this contract for Dak since he's still very young, but the the final deals for Emmitt, Aikman, and Romo come to mind. Ugh, and Garrett.

You have to be sternly business first, and keep personal relationships separate.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerry is a damned sentimental collector who loves signing his favorite people for way longer than he needs to.

Not so much this contract for Dak since he's still very young, but the the final deals for Emmitt, Aikman, and Romo come to mind. Ugh, and Garrett.

You have to be sternly business first, and keep personal relationships separate.
The conditions were totally different. These people delivered him Super Bowl wins so that is what motivated him but he didn’t recognize that the support players were leaving and after that sifted out the players he retained were saddled with free agents that was pretty much spent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not so much this contract for Dak since he's still very young, but the the final deals for Emmitt, Aikman, and Romo come to mind. Ugh, and arrett.
Aikman, yeah. He was breaking down physically pretty quickly, and his play reflected it. But Romo was still playing at a very high level at the time he signed his last contract. And there is no owner in the history of the league that would have let Emmitt leave and break the all time rushing record someplace else. That was why he was retained as long as he was. Emmitt wasn't completely used up, but was clearly not what he once was. And he was released the following offseason, once the record was secured.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Aikman, yeah. He was breaking down physically pretty quickly, and his play reflected it. But Romo was still playing at a very high level at the time he signed his last contract. And there is no owner in the history of the league that would have let Emmitt leave and break the all time rushing record someplace else. That was why he was retained as long as he was. Emmitt wasn't completely used up, but was clearly not what he once was. And he was released the following offseason, once the record was secured.
Yeah point taken on Romo, especially since you had guys like Manning playing very late into their careers. But Romo had not proven durable, especially once the OL began disintegrating in 2009.

I disagree on Emmitt. I think only Jerry Jones would have signed Emmitt to that insane 6 year 48 million dollar deal or whatever it was back in 1996 and only Jerry Jones would have given Aikman an 80 million dollar deal with 20 million guaranteed given his dropoff and concussion history.

As good as Emmitt was in 1995 you had to know you were on borrowed time with him with all those carries from six nearly full seasons plus almost another season when you count playoffs. Emmitt was also showing signs of injury. Expecting him to finish an 11-12 year career as a Cowboy was nuts. Sure he did, but at the cost of our effectiveness.

And Jones' fixation kept us from even looking at starting caliber players who could compete with Emmitt. We instead went explicitly looking for backups and passed on Curtis Martin in 1995 in favor of Sherman Williams one round earlier. Just imagine how competitive the team might have remained if we'd taken Cumar.

Anyways, the more distant Jones gets from negotiations the better off we'll be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The more distant he gets from having a pulse, the better off we'll be.
Do you really think tat if Jerry Jones left this earth that the Jones treatment would totally disappear. The Jones family is positioned to be the ownership from now until Gabriel is ready to play taps.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Do you really think tat if Jerry Jones left this earth that the Jones treatment would totally disappear. The Jones family is positioned to be the ownership from now until Gabriel is ready to play taps.
Totally disappear? No, but I think it would improve.

data

Forbes #1
Anyone think we would've been more successful had we not signed Deion Sanders and redistributed those salary cap dollars on plural players?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Anyone think we would've been more successful had we not signed Deion Sanders and redistributed those salary cap dollars on plural players?
I think there's a very good argument for it. Not sure how many we could have saved. The defections that I recall hurting the most happened in 1994, Deion was not signed until 1995.

I think if Kevin Smith doesn't get hurt and they actually could draft worth a damn (like if Jimmy had stayed and found Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison for us) then for sure.

data

Forbes #1
I think there's a very good argument for it. Not sure how many we could have saved. The defections that I recall hurting the most happened in 1994, Deion was not signed until 1995.

I think if Kevin Smith doesn't get hurt and they actually could draft worth a damn (like if Jimmy had stayed and found Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison for us) then for sure.
I regret ever asking the question...I went down a deep dark hole to see what free agents we lost and what we did to replenish our talent.

Looking at it, Deion Sanders was probably the best thing we could do because of our ineptitude at drafting. Even if we had Deion's cash, there's not enough players we could've chased in free agency to counter the aging, injuries of current roster and, most crucially, our shitastic drafts.

Kendell Watkins/Bjornson/LaFleur couldn't replace Novacek. Shane Hannah/Scifres couldn't replace Gesek nor Newton. Shante Carver/Kavika Pittman couldn't replace Haley, nor Tolbert for that matter. Shiver couldn't replace Stepnoski. Couldn't replace the Casillas, Maryland, Jimmie Jones and Leon Lett DT rotation with Antonio Anderson, Mike Ulufale, Mike Myers with Chad Hennings.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I regret ever asking the question...I went down a deep dark hole to see what free agents we lost and what we did to replenish our talent.

Looking at it, Deion Sanders was probably the best thing we could do because of our ineptitude at drafting. Even if we had Deion's cash, there's not enough players we could've chased in free agency to counter the aging, injuries of current roster and, most crucially, our shitastic drafts.

Kendell Watkins/Bjornson/LaFleur couldn't replace Novacek. Shane Hannah/Scifres couldn't replace Gesek nor Newton. Shante Carver/Kavika Pittman couldn't replace Haley, nor Tolbert for that matter. Shiver couldn't replace Stepnoski. Couldn't replace the Casillas, Maryland, Jimmie Jones and Leon Lett DT rotation with Antonio Anderson, Mike Ulufale, Mike Myers with Chad Hennings.
We. Intentionally. Drafted. Backups.

A monkey with a copy of Street & Smith’s could have drafted better in 1995. It’s amazing we actually came away with Larry Allen, Randall Godfrey, and Dexter Coakley from 1994-1997 and a fricking miracle Allen was so good.

Top Bottom