DMN: Why you should be delighted by Dak and concerned by Cowboys' backup QB

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I would be excited if it was due to both backups were playing well. With that being said we're going to lose out on a player who could actually help the team to keep noodle arm.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Yep.

With Romo being undrafted and Dak being a 4th round pick, you'd think Cowboys fans would be a little more open minded about going with a young backup who wasn't a high draft pick rather than sticking with POS vets like Moore, Weeden, and McCown.

I honestly feel like if Rush were a 2nd or 3rd round pick we wouldn't even be having this debate. Just like we saw with Dak last year. A lot of people were hesitant to buy in just because he wasn't a 1st round pick.
Exactly. It shouldn't even be up for debate.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Just a thought. Maybe they want there to be a competition and Rush (or Moore) to win it just as is happening. The real question is how much longer we continue this farce with trotting Moore out there as the 2nd. I think he's proven he's inferior.

I other thing to consider - some of the players say Rush is a gamer. It may be what we see out there in the game is not what coaches are seeing in practice.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just a thought. Maybe they want there to be a competition and Rush (or Moore) to win it just as is happening. The real question is how much longer we continue this farce with trotting Moore out there as the 2nd. I think he's proven he's inferior.

I other thing to consider - some of the players say Rush is a gamer. It may be what we see out there in the game is not what coaches are seeing in practice.
Dak was considered a bad practiced last year during TC and they still elevated him to #1 but only because Moore got hurt. Point being, the coaches get to watch the games, too. In short, you have more faith in them to do the right thing than I do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think the Cowboys' staff has the same idea as we would have in a backup QB.

I guess they value his "mind" and not his ability to execute the plays.

I can tell you this, if Prescott goes down, the entire offense changes. The read option goes away. The deeper passes go away.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak was considered a bad practiced last year during TC and they still elevated him to #1 but only because Moore got hurt. Point being, the coaches get to watch the games, too. In short, you have more faith in them to do the right thing than I do.
Moore had a secure job thanks to Linehan.

If he hadn't broken his ankle, the Cowboys would have stubbornly struggled through loss after loss. They are the most stupidly stubborn organization sometimes.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
So, there's this:
Monday, August 21, 2017 6:34 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

Quick Hits Read
Cooper Rush has been outstanding in three preseason games, throwing four touchdown passes with no interceptions, and perhaps the coaching staff was rewarding the rookie quarterback Monday by giving him a handful of reps with the second-team offense near the end of practice. Kellen Moore took the majority of the second-team reps behind starter Dak Prescott, as usual.

So do you think this is a message to Rush, or to Moore? Moore either improves his play or he's third string at best.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So, there's this:

Quick Hits Read
Cooper Rush has been outstanding in three preseason games, throwing four touchdown passes with no interceptions, and perhaps the coaching staff was rewarding the rookie quarterback Monday by giving him a handful of reps with the second-team offense near the end of practice. Kellen Moore took the majority of the second-team reps behind starter Dak Prescott, as usual.

So do you think this is a message to Rush, or to Moore? Moore either improves his play or he's third string at best.

I think they're handling it in the typical way they do. They show unwavering support for the incumbent even when they don't truly feel it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
So, there's this:

Quick Hits Read

I don't think giving a small percentage of reps to Rush is a message to either of them. I'm still in the camp that thinks if anything happens with Dak, it's a toss up how effective either Rush or Moore would be anyway, I would just prefer to not carry three QBs this season since we have needs at other positions as well. There's no way Rush can be stashed on the PS very long either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think giving a small percentage of reps to Rush is a message to either of them. I'm still in the camp that thinks if anything happens with Dak, it's a toss up how effective either Rush or Moore would be anyway, I would just prefer to not carry three QBs this season since we have needs at other positions as well. There's no way Rush can be stashed on the PS very long either.
I'd say it was a pretty significant signal to both guys. To Rush that if you continue to work hard and play well you will be rewarded. To Moore that just because you're the experienced guy, you aren't promised the backup job or even necessarily a roster spot.

That paragraph understates what really happened as well. From what I saw Rush got more second team reps than Moore did. Nothing about it sounded "as usual" as the DallasCowboys.com report reads.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'd say it was a pretty significant signal to both guys. To Rush that if you continue to work hard and play well you will be rewarded. To Moore that just because you're the experienced guy, you aren't promised the backup job or even necessarily a roster spot.

That paragraph understates what really happened as well. From what I saw Rush got more second team reps than Moore did. Nothing about it sounded "as usual" as the DallasCowboys.com report reads.
Valid points. The official site might be trying to avoid hyping Rush up too much.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Valid points. The official site might be trying to avoid hyping Rush up too much.
I think sometimes you guys are a little too pessimistic about the braintrust. 1) They really aren't stupid and 2) some decisions really aren't that hard.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think sometimes you guys are little too pessimistic about the braintrust. 1) They really aren't stupid and 2) some decisions really aren't that hard.
I generally lean towards realism but 20 years of too much futility sucked a good part of the optimism out of me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think sometimes you guys are little too pessimistic about the braintrust. 1) They really aren't stupid and 2) some decisions really aren't that hard.
:lol

Okay.

Top Bottom