DMN: Why you should be delighted by Dak and concerned by Cowboys' backup QB

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why you should be delighted by Dak and concerned by Cowboys' backup QB
By David Moore
DMN Staff Writer
Twitter:mad:DavidMooreDMN

ARLINGTON -- Dak Prescott was sharp, decisive and in complete control of the Cowboys' offense Saturday evening.
Kellen Moore wasn't.

If there's any doubt about where you fall on the glass-half-empty or half-full debate as a Cowboys fan, this should settle it. Did you come out of the team's 24-19 win over Indianapolis ecstatic about what you saw from the starting quarterback in his preseason debut, or did your gnawing concerns about Moore's ability to back him up push that to the background?

Are you optimistic for what this season holds with Prescott in charge of the offense, or scared to death of what will happen if he goes down for a game or two?

One last question: Is Aug. 19 at AT&T Stadium when the Cooper Rush bandwagon began to roll, and will it roll over Moore?

Let's start with Prescott. The quarterback who turned heads with a spectacular preseason performance one year ago and built on that foundation to fashion one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history picked up where he left off.

The Cowboys opened the game on their own 5-yard line, where Prescott immediately hit Dez Bryant for a 23-yard gain. A nice deep ball to Bryant for a 32-yard touchdown ended the drive less than three minutes later.

"That first drive was great," Prescott said of the seven-play, 95-yard excursion. "We were all on the same page, communicating well. It felt good being out there with those guys again in a game situation."

Prescott marched the Cowboys down the field on his next possession only to have that drive end in the shadow of the Colts' end zone with a Darren McFadden fumble. He ended the evening completing 7 of 8 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown with a quarterback rating of 158.3. His only incompletion was a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

"Tonight was just an extension of training camp, of what we've been doing the whole offense together, just getting better," Prescott said. "I feel great. I feel good behind that offensive line, throwing to those guys and letting them do what they do best."

Moore had a tough act to follow when he took the field late in the first quarter. He failed to rise to the occasion.

Moore found himself in the shotgun on his second snap of the game. He was sacked, fumbled and watched former Cowboys linebacker Lavar Edwards return the ball 15 yards for an Indianapolis touchdown.

"I felt like there were some good things out there," Moore said. "Obviously, the turnover isn't something we want, no matter what. I've got to hold onto the ball there."

The offense gained 166 yards in 18 plays and held the ball for 9:21 with Prescott at quarterback. That production dropped to 91 yards on 21 plays the remainder of the half with Moore on the field.

When Moore departed the game in the third quarter, he had completed 9 of 20 passes for 107 yards. The Cowboys scored three points on his watch.
It's not the sort of performance that inspires confidence, especially when you consider Moore was 8 of 17 for 69 yards in the previous week's loss to the Los Angeles Rams.

Fairness dictates it be pointed out that Moore didn't have the weapons at his disposal that Prescott did. He was throwing to rookie Noah Brown, not Bryant. He didn't have Jason Witten at tight end or Cole Beasley in the slot. The offensive line in front of Moore to start the second half featured Byron Bell, Jonathan Cooper, Kadeem Edwards, Emmett Cleary and Ross Burbank.

But here's the problem for Moore. Rush came in after him and led a collection of down-the-depth-chart backups on touchdown drives of 76 and 74 yards. He did this one week after completing 9 of 11 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown against the Rams.

"I've been one of Cooper's biggest fans since the moment he got here," Prescott said. "You can ask Orlando Scandrick. He told Coop I was handing out applications for his fan club.

"He's a guy who does everything right in the film room. He is asking questions and he takes it and does it on the practice field. You can see that focus pregame. He's itching to play.

"Me and him are talking on the sideline (Saturday) and he's like 'I'm just ready to go in,' and the moment he goes in he shows what he's been preparing to do."

Moore needs to answer. If he doesn't, Rush may do more than just make this team.

He may take Moore's job.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this were a true meritocracy Cooper Rush would be ahead of Moore on the depth chart.

Hopefully this coaching staff pulls their head out of their ass and rewards young players who are actually playing well rather than blindly sticking with "their guys". I'd like to see Rush play with the primary backups next week vs. Oakland.

You can't sell players on this notion that nothing is given and everything must be earned, then turn around and completely discount actual performance and production just because one player is a vet and the other is a rookie. Doing so sends the wrong message and frankly isn't conducive to building a deep, talent rich roster.

Garrett cannot continue to ignore what's staring him in the face. Doing so diminishes the little respect that I and many others have for him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why you should be delighted by Dak and concerned by Cowboys' backup QB
By David Moore
DMN Staff Writer
Twitter:mad:DavidMooreDMN

ARLINGTON -- Dak Prescott was sharp, decisive and in complete control of the Cowboys' offense Saturday evening.
Kellen Moore wasn't.

If there's any doubt about where you fall on the glass-half-empty or half-full debate as a Cowboys fan, this should settle it. Did you come out of the team's 24-19 win over Indianapolis ecstatic about what you saw from the starting quarterback in his preseason debut, or did your gnawing concerns about Moore's ability to back him up push that to the background?

Are you optimistic for what this season holds with Prescott in charge of the offense, or scared to death of what will happen if he goes down for a game or two?

One last question: Is Aug. 19 at AT&T Stadium when the Cooper Rush bandwagon began to roll, and will it roll over Moore?

Let's start with Prescott. The quarterback who turned heads with a spectacular preseason performance one year ago and built on that foundation to fashion one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history picked up where he left off.

The Cowboys opened the game on their own 5-yard line, where Prescott immediately hit Dez Bryant for a 23-yard gain. A nice deep ball to Bryant for a 32-yard touchdown ended the drive less than three minutes later.

"That first drive was great," Prescott said of the seven-play, 95-yard excursion. "We were all on the same page, communicating well. It felt good being out there with those guys again in a game situation."

Prescott marched the Cowboys down the field on his next possession only to have that drive end in the shadow of the Colts' end zone with a Darren McFadden fumble. He ended the evening completing 7 of 8 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown with a quarterback rating of 158.3. His only incompletion was a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

"Tonight was just an extension of training camp, of what we've been doing the whole offense together, just getting better," Prescott said. "I feel great. I feel good behind that offensive line, throwing to those guys and letting them do what they do best."

Moore had a tough act to follow when he took the field late in the first quarter. He failed to rise to the occasion.

Moore found himself in the shotgun on his second snap of the game. He was sacked, fumbled and watched former Cowboys linebacker Lavar Edwards return the ball 15 yards for an Indianapolis touchdown.

"I felt like there were some good things out there," Moore said. "Obviously, the turnover isn't something we want, no matter what. I've got to hold onto the ball there."

The offense gained 166 yards in 18 plays and held the ball for 9:21 with Prescott at quarterback. That production dropped to 91 yards on 21 plays the remainder of the half with Moore on the field.

When Moore departed the game in the third quarter, he had completed 9 of 20 passes for 107 yards. The Cowboys scored three points on his watch.
It's not the sort of performance that inspires confidence, especially when you consider Moore was 8 of 17 for 69 yards in the previous week's loss to the Los Angeles Rams.

Fairness dictates it be pointed out that Moore didn't have the weapons at his disposal that Prescott did. He was throwing to rookie Noah Brown, not Bryant. He didn't have Jason Witten at tight end or Cole Beasley in the slot. The offensive line in front of Moore to start the second half featured Byron Bell, Jonathan Cooper, Kadeem Edwards, Emmett Cleary and Ross Burbank.

But here's the problem for Moore. Rush came in after him and led a collection of down-the-depth-chart backups on touchdown drives of 76 and 74 yards. He did this one week after completing 9 of 11 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown against the Rams.

"I've been one of Cooper's biggest fans since the moment he got here," Prescott said. "You can ask Orlando Scandrick. He told Coop I was handing out applications for his fan club.

"He's a guy who does everything right in the film room. He is asking questions and he takes it and does it on the practice field. You can see that focus pregame. He's itching to play.

"Me and him are talking on the sideline (Saturday) and he's like 'I'm just ready to go in,' and the moment he goes in he shows what he's been preparing to do."

Moore needs to answer. If he doesn't, Rush may do more than just make this team.

He may take Moore's job.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this were a true meritocracy Cooper Rush would be ahead of Moore on the depth chart.

Hopefully this coaching staff pulls their head out of their ass and rewards young players who are actually playing well rather than blindly sticking with "their guys". I'd like to see Rush play with the primary backups next week vs. Oakland.

You can't sell players on this notion that nothing is given and everything must be earned, then turn around and completely discount actual performance and production just because one player is a vet and the other is a rookie. Doing so sends the wrong message and frankly isn't conducive to building a deep, talent rich roster.

Garrett cannot continue to ignore what's staring him in the face. Doing so diminishes the little respect that I and many others have for him.
Cooper need to move up and Moore needs to be moved out. It would be a perfect time to install a development QB on the practice squad. Someone that has real potenntial.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If we learned anything from last season it should be that draft position and experience don't really dictate how successful a QB can be here in Dallas. If it weren't for an injury to Moore who knows how long it may have taken for Prescott to get on the field. We need to learn from that and face the fact that Cooper Rush is just better. Not only that but Cooper Rush looks pretty good.

I get wanting an "experienced" guy in the QB room but isn't that what your QB coach is for? Hell hire Moore as an assistant QB coach if you want. I doubt anyone would be knocking down his door to give him a roster spot if we cut him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd be OK with carrying 3 QBs. I'd be OK with Moore as the 3rd QB.

But I'm not OK with a total of 1 year of experience in the QB room. I think that would be a dumb decision.

People like to wave it off but experience is a real thing and it matters. Having experience creates a foundation and is an investment in the production of your young players.

In a team with super bowl aspirations, it's lunacy to try to navigate a season with one combined year of experience among your QBs.

I like Rush, and no question that he's vastly outplayed Moore and he's much more talented. But your 2 QBs can't be Prescott and Rush this season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
1bigfan13 said:
Per the usual, the rest of the fanbase is a week behind the DCC.

1bigfan13

Staff member

But I'm not OK with a total of 1 year of experience in the QB room. I think that would be a dumb decision.

People like to wave it off but experience is a real thing and it matters. Having experience creates a foundation and is an investment in the production of your young players.

In a team with super bowl aspirations, it's lunacy to try to navigate a season with one combined year of experience among your QBs.

I like Rush, and no question that he's vastly outplayed Moore and he's much more talented. But your 2 QBs can't be Prescott and Rush this season.
As C-Rock pointed out, that's what the QB Coach is for. Wade Wilson had a long, fairly productive career in the NFL. He can teach the young guys a lot more about the game than Kellen freaking Moore.

Genghis Khan

As C-Rock pointed out, that's what the QB Coach is for. Wade Wilson had a long, fairly productive career in the NFL. He can teach the young guys a lot more about the game than Kellen freaking Moore.
I disagree. It's a different message coming from peers, and I'm guessing they are around each other much more than they're around coaches.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I disagree. It's a different message coming from peers, and I'm guessing they are around each other much more than they're around coaches.
So make Moore asst qb coach

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Rush is better than Moore (and has far more potential long-term), but it doesn't really matter. If Dak goes down for more than a game or two, we're screwed either way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rush is better than Moore (and has far more potential long-term), but it doesn't really matter. If Dak goes down for more than a game or two, we're screwed either way.
I'm not so sure about that. After watching Cooper in two games, I have much more confidence he could drive the bus sufficiently. Now, if we keep Moore as QB2...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Totally agree. And for me it's not even about "the room" or helping Dak along or whatever. It's about playing on the field. If Dak gets hurt for three or four games, you can't throw Cooper Rush out there against NFL defenses. The team should dump Moore, keep Rush as the #3, and find some vet off final waivers. Even trade a late pick if you need to. But I don't want Cooper Rush going against the Giants in New York no matter how good he looks against preseason backups.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally agree. And for me it's not even about "the room" or helping Dak along or whatever. It's about playing on the field. If Dak gets hurt for three or four games, you can't throw Cooper Rush out there against NFL defenses. The team should dump Moore, keep Rush as the #3, and find some vet off final waivers. Even trade a late pick if you need to. But I don't want Cooper Rush going against the Giants in New York no matter how good he looks against preseason backups.
I remember last year people thought some of the same stuff about Dak.

Genghis Khan

The good news is Dak is young and doesn't seem to be fragile, so our chances of needing our not elevated unlike most recent seasons.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And?

You know that has no bearing on whether Rush could handle it or not.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yep.

With Romo being undrafted and Dak being a 4th round pick, you'd think Cowboys fans would be a little more open minded about going with a young backup who wasn't a high draft pick rather than sticking with POS vets like Moore, Weeden, and McCown.

I honestly feel like if Rush were a 2nd or 3rd round pick we wouldn't even be having this debate. Just like we saw with Dak last year. A lot of people were hesitant to buy in just because he wasn't a 1st round pick.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
''Tis a fact.
I was confident Dak could back Romo up for a stretch because he had the requisite skills, pedigree, and the offense around him was so strong.

Moore's noodle arm scares me, especially with Elliott facing suspension.

Top Bottom