DMN: Do the Cowboys currently have their best top-to-bottom roster since Dallas' last Super Bowl run?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h] Ballzy podcast hosts Kevin Sherrington, Evan Grant, and David Moore are back to discuss all things Dallas Cowboys football:
[h=2]On the Cowboys' 2019 outlook...[/h]
Evan Grant: [22:46] "But with all the other tools that the Cowboys have this is a team capable of winning a Super Bowl, correct? Yes or no?"

Kevin Sherrington: "Yeah, I think so. David, don't you think so?"

David Moore: "Yes. Now, again I think this argument still continues -- one, because you're talking about what [Dak Prescott]'s going to be paid and people being disproportionately attached to that ... and two, I think there's just a large percentage of fans out there who say, 'How can you say he's that good? He hasn't gotten them past the second round of the playoffs. How can you say this? He's only won one playoff game.'"

Evan Grant: "He's an imperfect quarterback, but at the same point in time, he's got enough assets and the team has enough assets that they certainly should be in the Super Bowl conversation from the NFC." [h=2]......[/h]
David Moore: [25:00] "This is the best overall team that the Cowboys have fielded on both sides of the ball, boy, I want to say probably going back to that Super Bowl run. I'm not saying this team has assembled a Super Bowl nucleus because that has to play out, but really you go across every position - the only position people would go you need to be better would be at safety. But not only do you have quality players at every position on both sides of the ball, you have pretty good depth at every position on both sides of the ball. This team hasn't been in that position in a long, long time because they haven't been that good in the draft. This team has been very good in the draft since 2014, and now you're seeing the benefits of it." [h=2]......[/h]
Kevin Sherrington: [28:40] "Here's the issue for me about Dak Prescott. ... Dak's a very careful quarterback. He's the kind of guy who's not going to risk a lot of things. He's not going to throw the ball someplace - I think that's one of the reasons why he's been so slow to react and get rid of it from the pocket - is that he wants to make sure that nothing bad is going to happen here. Tony Romo was a quarterback who said hey you know what I'm throwing this ball. I'm going to take this chance and maybe it's going to be great, and maybe it's going to be awful."

Evan Grant: "But what we saw over the course of Tony Romo's career - and he never became a careful quarterback, but he became a little bit more careful. Dak Prescott's never going to be Brett Favre. He's never going to just sling it, fling it, and do whatever he wants."

Kevin Sherrington: "And some of that's bad, and some of that's good."

Evan Grant: "But I think as you enter Year 4 as a starter, and Year 5, especially when you're still as athletic as Dak is, you become more confident in when you can take a chance and when you can't."

Kevin Sherrington: "I do think this is the year where there's no real excuses for Dak Prescott. If he does not have his best season now - if he stays healthy, and the team around him stays reasonably healthy - there is no reason why he shouldn't have his best season. He should be moving up. And I have every confidence that he will."

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I wonder if the writers had their eyes squeezed shut and were grimacing as they collectively fantasized, snapping their carrots.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Dak is anything but Aikman or Romo. Everyone knows that. But I do think this is the most balanced team we've had since the late 90's. Plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. As far as that goes, I would agree with the writers.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The 2007 Cowboys was a pretty fantastic team. They were one Patrick Crayton route-quit from beating the Giants and likely rolling the Packers the next week (they whipped them by 10 in the regular season) and making the SB. I suspect they would have lost to the Brady-Moss pats but you never know.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The Super-Bowl era teams of the early and mid-90s had five hall of famers (that I can think of). This team is a long way from there. Plus Garrett is the coach.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
The Super-Bowl era teams of the early and mid-90s had five hall of famers (that I can think of). This team is a long way from there. Plus Garrett is the coach.
I think it's realistic to classify Zeke, Tyron, Martin, and Fredbeard as future HOF'ers. Not to mention guys like J Smith and Vander Esch playing at Pro Bowl levels. Lawrence is a true difference maker.
IMO this roster really isn't that far behind the talent level of that of our 90's glory days crew. I think if Dak becomes more accurate, there's no reason not to expect championship runs.
But of course there's Garrett compared to Jimmy. So that's a big disadvantage. To say the least.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas has good talent but God damn

Our QB is a scorer not a shooter in a league where you shoot to win. We don’t know what we have after the smart and solid Cooper.

No offensive skill player outside of Elliott is a true star.

Our NT is a “try hard” kind of guy but very average/borderline weak, and who knows what we’ve got in Quinn or Hill or Sean Lee. I know Crawford is a JAG and Collins only a bit better.

Add in the weakness at safety and you have a defense that overachieved in 2018 and was badly exposed in the playoffs. Teams are going to study that film.

So Lawrence, Vander-Esch, Smith, and maybe Jones are blue chippers, though only Lawrence produces pressure. None generate turnovers.

Overall the 2007 team was better defensively and offensively Witten, Romo, and TO were elite that season with Barber close behind. Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode, and Flozell Adams had outstanding years. Fluke late injuries to Gurode and Owens really hurt Dallas. Frankly it’s kind of a miracle New York beat them in the playoffs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In all fairness no one is saying this team is more talented then those. They are saying this is the most talented Dallas has been since then. Which isn't a far stretch considering this team hasn't made an NFC championship game since the Aikman days.

We will see though. We have been let down every year expectations start to get higher for the Cowboys. We play great in an underdog role but until we see this team put it together for back to back seasons it's hard to have faith we will be great this season.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
It's clear we have the best talent assembled on this team in quite a while. The problem is or has been the coaches directing that talent as well as the fact that the NFC contains some damn good teams with plenty of talent to match ours as well as coaches that know how to use that talent.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I think ravidubey made a good point about Dak. He's a scorer not a shooter. In this league you have to be able to match points with some good slingers out there. With Dak not being a dependable downfield passer to this point, I'm looking forward to seeing how Moore and Kitna help him along. Hopefully they get the most out of him. If not, I don't feel optimistic about this offense putting sufficient points on the board.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think ravidubey made a good point about Dak. He's a scorer not a shooter. In this league you have to be able to match points with some good slingers out there. With Dak not being a dependable downfield passer to this point, I'm looking forward to seeing how Moore and Kitna help him along. Hopefully they get the most out of him. If not, I don't feel optimistic about this offense putting sufficient points on the board.
If they maximize his running ability Dak can damn sure score with the top qbs, we're just waiting to see how much Garrett holds us back

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak is a good downfield passer, he just needs to attempt more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
An argument could be made either way as far as which roster was more talented between 2007 and this year, although I think it's very clear that this is the best roster top to bottom since 2007. The 2014 and 2016 teams were elevated by OL's that were historically great combined with an elite RB, although the defenses were obviously average at best. This year's OL probably won't reach those heights but if Frederick is truly back I think it will be the best we've seen since 2016.

Top Bottom