DMN: Bruce Carter explains third quarter gaff

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is another side of that coin...when Coughlin lost his composure the Giants did as well. You have to pick your spots...like he did when he sat down Murray for fumbling and benching Carter before.
If he had reamed out Carter for not touching him down, I would have been ok with it. But you are right, you have to pick your spots, and this issue is about coach discretion. Coddling is what happens when you never, ever set any limits, like the previous regime. That is not the case here, and the coach does pick his spots.

It may have been beneficial to rip Carter here, but second guessing every single disciplinary decision the coach makes it dumb, when overall, it's the right direction. Whether he screams like a madman or stresses that it was a bad play that needs to be corrected stoically is more about coach demeanor than being "too soft."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett irked at Carter and Heath

November, 25, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was upset at a non-tackle made by linebacker Bruce Carter and safety Jeff Heath in the third quarter of Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

On a fourth-down play, quarterback Eli Manning connected on a sideline pass to tight end Brandon Myers. After Myers made the catch, he fell down but Carter, the first defender near Myers ran right past him without touching him. Heath, a rookie, also kept running.

Myers then got up and ran into the end zone for a 27-yard touchdown reception, cutting into the Cowboys' deficit, 21-13.

After the play, Garrett spoke to both players as they came off the field.

"It was a bad play and that was a fourth-down play," Garrett said. "They ran a little rub route and they got the ball up the sidelines and they simply have to get their hands on the guy when he's on the ground."

Later Garrett said, "From a habit standpoint, you ain't in college anymore. You're in the National Football League and you simply got to get your hands on the guy."

So what did Carter, whose had some issues this year in pass coverage himself say: "I thought he landed out of bounds, so that's why I kind of stopped on the play. Then he ran in for the touchdown. It is what it is."

Added Heath: "That was just one of those plays that we just got to touch him down. I don't know what was going on in my head but one of those things where you get up, see him running and, 'oh crap.' We’ll learn from that and obviously it won’t happen again."

Garrett did say he was pleased with how both players responded following the third-quarter score.

Top Bottom