Dez 4th in the NFL in YAC

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've seen Dwayne Harris excel many times this year rushing the ball.

Of course, he only has one attempt, but relative to how many opportunities he's had, one is many.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There was no subtlety to pick up on. You know it. I know it. And anybody who's read this thread knows it. It was you speaking in absolutes, without thinking. Again. And when called on it, you do what you always do. Argue incessantly, spinning away from what is said, until you can move the goal posts. Like you've done in this post. Took you longer than usual this time, tho.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
He has backed off of two different stances in one thread. I think that's a record for him. But, I can't be sure about that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm going to play. You meant majority then, not many. If you say the majority of his passes have been on screen plays that he broke then fine. But, not many times he breaks away on screen passes. #smittydoublespeak
No, I don't agree. In fact I would say it's definitely not the majority of his receptions. That would mean it's 12 or more, and I don't think it's been that many.

When I said the word many it meant a large, indefinite number. And again, large is contextual. When you are only talking about 23 catches, clearly many can't be all that many, but its still many relative to the sample size.

Cotton

Staff member

Of course, he only has one attempt, but relative to how many opportunities he's had, one is many.
:lol

Nice

Cotton

Staff member
No, I don't agree. In fact I would say it's definitely not the majority of his receptions. That would mean it's 12 or more, and I don't think it's been that many.

When I said the word many it meant a large, indefinite number. And again, large is contextual. When you are only talking about 23 catches, clearly many can't be all that many, but its still many relative to the sample size.
Spin.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've seen Gavin Escobar excel many times catching TDs.

He only has 4 receptions, but 1 TD. TWENTY FIVE PERCENT TD PERCENTAGE, BITCHES! Relative to chances, blah, blah, blah...

Cotton

Staff member
I usually follow up my condescension with an argument.... you don't have one here, I notice.
I've already stated my argument. Unlike you, I don't feel the ridiculous need to say it over and over again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He has backed off of two different stances in one thread. I think that's a record for him. But, I can't be sure about that.
When did I back off my stance? When I agreed with Deuce that I was mischaracterizing it?

I like how I admit that I'm wrong and it's "backing off stances." But if I don't admit I'm wrong, it's just Smitty arguing forever again.

Cotton

Staff member
When did I back off my stance? When I agreed with Deuce that I was mischaracterizing it?

I like how I admit that I'm wrong and it's "backing off stances." But if I don't admit I'm wrong, it's just Smitty arguing forever again.
So, admitting you're wrong isn't backing off a stance?

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Oooh... has to be plural. Nice try though.

But if you used it in context to mean 3 times when the opportunities numbered 5 or 6, yeah, I'd say that's accurate usage.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, admitting you're wrong isn't backing off a stance?
Who cares? I'm just noting that one of the criticisms you always levy at me is that I never admit I'm wrong. Yet even though I did so here, to Deuce earlier, you're still acting like it's a bad thing. How about credit for admitting that it was incorrect to classify all of Dez's RAC as below average? That's just smitty doublespeak!

Cotton

Staff member
Oooh... has to be plural. Nice try though.

But if you used it in context to mean 3 times when the opportunities numbered 5 or 6, yeah, I'd say that's accurate usage.
:picard

Cotton

Staff member
Who cares? I'm just noting that one of the criticisms you always levy at me is that I never admit I'm wrong. Yet even though I did so here, to Deuce earlier, you're still acting like it's a bad thing. How about credit for admitting that it was incorrect to classify all of Dez's RAC as below average? That's just smitty doublespeak!
Because instead of just saying you're wrong you continue to defend it, but in another manner like "Oh yeah, well Harris is better at screens!! HAHAHAHA"

And, you didn't once admit you were wrong, but "you miscalculated" or some such shit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Because instead of just saying you're wrong you continue to defend it, but in another manner like "Oh yeah, well Harris is better at screens!! HAHAHAHA"
That's not really changing my stance, though. It's not like I'm saying "LULZ I GOT U GUYS, I REALLY MEANT JUST ON SCREENS SO I"M STILL RITE HAHAH". That would be moving the goal posts.

What I said before was Bryant was overrated on RAC and that Harris was better at it. Deuce and I discussed it and he said "you are saying it wrong" and explained why. Then I agreed with him, it's wrong for me to say Bryant is overrated on RAC. So I'm admitting I'm wrong on that.

However, I still believe that Harris is better than Bryant at screens and hitches. Deuce has explained this well as well, and even provided some evidence for it (Harris' YAC compared to three years of Bryant).

The comment needs clarification. That doesn't mean there's no truth whatsoever to the idea that Harris excels more on certain routes, or that there is no truth to the idea that Bryant does not excel like elite guys such as Terrell Owens did at breaking those routes for big gains consistently.

Cotton

Staff member
That's not really changing my stance, though. It's not like I'm saying "LULZ I GOT U GUYS, I REALLY MEANT JUST ON SCREENS SO I"M STILL RITE HAHAH". That would be moving the goal posts.

What I said before was Bryant was overrated on RAC and that Harris was better at it. Deuce and I discussed it and he said "you are saying it wrong" and explained why. Then I agreed with him, it's wrong for me to say Bryant is overrated on RAC. So I'm admitting I'm wrong on that.

However, I still believe that Harris is better than Bryant at screens and hitches. Deuce has explained this well as well, and even provided some evidence for it (Harris' YAC compared to three years of Bryant).

The comment needs clarification. That doesn't mean there's no truth whatsoever to the idea that Harris excels more on certain routes, or that there is no truth to the idea that Bryant does not excel like elite guys such as Terrell Owens did at breaking those routes for big gains consistently.
Agreed. Good job.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Here's another stance to demonstrate what I'm talking about, FWIW.

Dez has averaged LESS THAN 12.0 yards per catch, in his 3.5 year career, seventeen (17) times. He's only played 50 games. That's 34% of the time, he's averaged less than 12.0 yards per catch.

There's a valid point somewhere in there about that not being good enough. PLEASE NOTE.... I'm not saying Dez isn't good enough... I think Dez is great. Hell, it's probably more of an indictment of Garrett and his usage of Bryant. But I know that those are games in which he gets fed a lot of those screens and is quickly tackled for 2-3 yard gains.

Cotton

Staff member
Main reason a screen doesn't work is blocking.

Not avoiding the tackle.

Top Bottom