Dez 4th in the NFL in YAC

D

Deuce

I didn't say he goes down easy, there's a difference. I said he's overrated in terms of the amount that he breaks those tackles (and subsequently, RAC). But yeah, I agree he's always fighting those tackles, and yeah, it was a concern that he stays up and ran the risk of fumbling when it was clear he wasn't going any further.

Terrell Owens could take those little hitches and turn them into huge plays routinely. Owens just had the ability to break those arm tackles or juke a CB and then go off to the races. Bryant rarely does. No one can deny that. If Bryant has a strength it's catch on the run and then outrace a DB to open field.
I see where you're going, but you're wording it wrong. He gets plenty of YAC, but you just want him to be the more physically dominating player like Owens and Cal and every other great WR with that size and speed combo which would lead to even more.

He he has the ability to break tackles and get more yards unlike a guy like Desean Jackson who's YAC is solely based on getting the ball in space and never getting touched. I agree with you slightly in that I'd just like to see it happen more. But I'm not complaining with his production so far.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
You're correct. But I don't assume there's a dedicated person who is watching every play to measure the YAC result. I think it also depends on the position of the person observing the play.
Why not? Listen to a broadcast and they generally have a stat ready for any and every situation. Someone, or more likely some group of people are compiling all of this information and a lot of it has to be close to real time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I see where you're going, but you're wording it wrong. He gets plenty of YAC, but you just want him to be the more physically dominating player like Owens and Cal and every other great WR with that size and speed combo which would lead to even more.

He he has the ability to break tackles and get more yards unlike a guy like Desean Jackson who's YAC is solely based on getting the ball in space and never getting touched. I agree with you slightly in that I'd just like to see it happen more. But I'm not complaining with his production so far.
I can't see how anyone would ever interpret what I've said to be complaining about his production.

What I said, some weeks ago now, was that I thought his RAC was overrated. Yeah -- maybe I'm wording that wrong.

I'm just saying, we throw a lot of quick screens, slants, hitches, etc, to Bryant, and he very rarely seems to break the first tackle or juke the defender shading him and reel off a long gain. His RAC seems to come from crossing routes where he is in space, catches it open, and then runs with it. Jackson is similar in that his stuff comes from YAC completely vertically, not across the middle like Dez.

The point I had tried to make is that you always hear announcers say "Just get Bryant the ball, he can make something happen." I don't entirely agree. I don't think Bryant is very productive at all on those quick hitches and screens -- and I think that's reflected in the number of times you've seen Bryant have days where he has a bunch of catches but a sub-12.0 ypc. I would much prefer to get Harris those touches, I think he operates in that particular crowded space much better than Bryant does.

If I want to get Bryant the ball quickly, I'd have him working on those slants a lot more. His size and speed should allow him to dominate that matchup more than he does. Though I also think the slant is one of the worst passes Romo throws, so that's working against us. He always seems to throw those ones high, low, lead to much, or throw behind.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Who was it that was saying that he is only average in YAC?
Who said THAT? Almost every between the 20's catch Dez makes is designed for him to battle for additional yardage.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Terrell Owens could take those little hitches and turn them into huge plays routinely. Owens just had the ability to break those arm tackles or juke a CB and then go off to the races. Bryant rarely does. No one can deny that. If Bryant has a strength it's catch on the run and then outrace a DB to open field.
Randy Moss is the only WR I'd ever compare with Terrell Owens in his prime in terms of sheer talent, explosiveness, and speed. And no one has ever been a better blitz-buster than Owens. He adjusted routes to the deep middle and destroyed defenses when the QB got him the ball.

Calvin and Fitz might be the ultimate jump-ball WR's, but they are nowhere near as explosive as Owens. Bryant is going to be great, but he lacks the speed Owens had. On a deep crossing route, I honestly believe Terrell Owens could not be single-covered. He was unique.

superpunk

Banned
I can't see how anyone would ever interpret what I've said to be complaining about his production.

What I said, some weeks ago now, was that I thought his RAC was overrated. Yeah -- maybe I'm wording that wrong.

I'm just saying, we throw a lot of quick screens, slants, hitches, etc, to Bryant, and he very rarely seems to break the first tackle or juke the defender shading him and reel off a long gain. His RAC seems to come from crossing routes where he is in space, catches it open, and then runs with it. Jackson is similar in that his stuff comes from YAC completely vertically, not across the middle like Dez.

The point I had tried to make is that you always hear announcers say "Just get Bryant the ball, he can make something happen." I don't entirely agree. I don't think Bryant is very productive at all on those quick hitches and screens -- and I think that's reflected in the number of times you've seen Bryant have days where he has a bunch of catches but a sub-12.0 ypc. I would much prefer to get Harris those touches, I think he operates in that particular crowded space much better than Bryant does.

If I want to get Bryant the ball quickly, I'd have him working on those slants a lot more. His size and speed should allow him to dominate that matchup more than he does. Though I also think the slant is one of the worst passes Romo throws, so that's working against us. He always seems to throw those ones high, low, lead to much, or throw behind.
It just seems like you want so badly to have a new or interesting "take" on Dez you are saying alot of words and yet saying nothing at all. Dez isn't shifty, is what you're saying. ok, duh, he's too big for that. He doesn't have quick subtle moves and by the time he gets going from a dead stop (or breaks an arm tackle) the help has arrived - the help which was already shifted towards him anyway, most likely. But there isn't a receiver in the league who's out there APing it and breaking tackles all day err' day.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You would think he is supposed to have 32 to 60 TDs a year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who said THAT? Almost every between the 20's catch Dez makes is designed for him to battle for additional yardage.
Smitty.

If you couldn't already tell from his defending the retarded position.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It just seems like you want so badly to have a new or interesting "take" on Dez you are saying alot of words and yet saying nothing at all.
I'm saying his RAC is overrated.

Though perhaps Deuce outlined it better.
Dez isn't shifty, is what you're saying. ok, duh, he's too big for that.
I'm saying we should maybe stop force feeding him balls on hitches and screens because he routinely doesn't make as much as I'd expect out of them. I feel like Harris has been better on those particular routes. If Bryant was capable of shaking off an arm tackle and busting it for 60 yards, then yeah, take your chances, but he doesn't do that as much as a guy like Terrell Owens used to. In Owens' case, it was worth it to feed him because he would break a couple, in his prime.

This isn't a knock on Bryant, I think he's an elite WR. Just more an observation about how best to use him and our other weapons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Smitty.

If you couldn't already tell from his defending the retarded position.
Look at all the name calling, Smitty Jr.

Pot meet kettle again! You are the king hypocrite of this board.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wait. Did he say you weren't supposed to call people names? How is he king hypocrite? You lost me.

And he called the position retarded, not you.

Cotton

Staff member
Look at all the name calling, Smitty Jr.

Pot meet kettle again! You are the king hypocrite of this board.
There is one way we differ. You will take a retarded position and then defend it by saying stupid shit like "Well, but he catches the ball in space a lot and has room to run."

GTFO with your nonsense.

BTW, I would not be your JR, I would be your SR, so recognize, boy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If Bryant was capable of shaking off an arm tackle and busting it for 60 yards, then yeah, take your chances, but he doesn't do that as much as a guy like Terrell Owens used to.
Who does?

And where are all these plays Harris is breaking off the hitches and screens in comparison to Dez?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wait. Did he say you weren't supposed to call people names?
He has said that I am a douche for how I talk to people, allegedly, many times.

How is he king hypocrite?
Because he isn't any less condescending than I am.

And he called the position retarded, not you.
Splitting hairs, you guys don't let me off the hook when I call a position retarded. In fact I've been very careful to take that exact approach for quite some time now.

Frankly, there are like two issues I even break out those words for anymore.... the CB/DL debate, and Jerry debate. I would never call someone retarded for reasoning a point out like I did above.

Cotton

Staff member
He has said that I am a douche for how I talk to people, allegedly, many times.

Because he isn't any less condescending than I am.

Splitting hairs, you guys don't let me off the hook when I call a position retarded. In fact I've been very careful to take that exact approach for quite some time now.
Another difference between us is you talk like that to everyone, and I only talk like that to you.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Maybe he is as condescending as you. But I still fail to see how he's a hypocrite, as he hasn't told you NOT to be, while remaining so himself. He only said you're a douche. If anything, he's slow on the uptake.

The rest of us have known that for years.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Who does?

And where are all these plays Harris is breaking off the hitches and screens in comparison to Dez?
Who does what? That's irrelevant. If Bryant isn't producing on those plays, and I think he isn't, then it's irrelevant whether anyone else is doing it. It should be stopped. This isn't about Bryant not measuring up, I'm saying it's not an efficient use for him.

Harris doesn't get many looks, but I've seen him excel on screens many times. I think he does more in that congested space than Bryant can because he's shiftier. He doesn't need to break tackles like Bryant does because he can lose people in tight quarters better.

Top Bottom