Democrat Presidential Nominees

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bump stocks are useless junk that have zero practical use. I give not one single fuck that they are gone. That's hardly "shitting on the 2nd amendment."

And who said anything about bowing and worshipping? Are you incapable of discussing anything without using retarded, over the top statements like this? Because that is just more of the "can't possibly be worse." Nonsensical jibberish.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed Trump is a pretty odious individual and an embellisher to the point of falsehood but he’s been way better as a President than i could have imagined. Absent getting a Ron or Rand Paul in there, no President is gonna get you everything. Trump hasn’t been bad at all and that has exceeded my expectations.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agreed Trump is a pretty odious individual and an embellisher to the point of falsehood but he’s been way better as a President than i could have imagined. Absent getting a Ron or Rand Paul in there, no President is gonna get you everything. Trump hasn’t been bad at all and that has exceeded my expectations.
Pretty much. The guy is a pompous asshat. But he's done a pretty damn good job. Which is quite amazing, considering all the horseshit the Dems throw at him constantly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have property in Los Angeles and his tax plan capped my deductions. Hence, a tax increase.
No offense but that's not his fault. Blame your shitty state for not getting free tax dollars by having crazy high taxes that used to eat away at Federal dollars.

Honestly I think all deductions are shit. Things need to be simplified if anything. But to claim Trump raised taxes couldn't be further from the truth. Your tax rate was lowered more than likely.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
No offense but that's not his fault. Blame your shitty state for not getting free tax dollars by having crazy high taxes that used to eat away at Federal dollars.

Honestly I think all deductions are shit. Things need to be simplified if anything. But to claim Trump raised taxes couldn't be further from the truth. Your tax rate was lowered more than likely.
This sounds like you got hit because of the cap on SALT deductions that high tax states use to offset their high taxes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This sounds like you got hit because of the cap on SALT deductions that high tax states use to offset their high taxes.
This is exactly right. What he did was stop encouraging states to have high taxes. It was the right move.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is exactly right. What he did was stop encouraging states to have high taxes. It was the right move.
Yep. Also my bad I meant to quote his reply

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

I think he's talking about mortgage interest and property taxes for calculating your federal tax due. IIRC, prior to the change, they could be itemized without a cap, the cap is now $10,000 so if you have a house where your mortgage interest and property taxes are $20,000, you can now only deduct half of that when calculating your taxable income. If your tax rate under this scenario is 25%, then the change cost you $2,500 a year and it will likely have a subtle effect on property values because buyers can no longer factor in the savings from these deductions to the extent they could prior to the change under the Trump administration.

I've always thought this was kind of funny in light of democrats who claim Trump gave tax breaks for the rich because depending on how you define "rich", this ain't no tax break for them or anyone with a house mortgage who's interest & taxes are substantially higher than $10K

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

It’s the property exemptions that changed for my property in L.A. I honestly wouldn’t care that much if it was just my house in Texas, but my L.A. property got slammed because of that garbage. And seeing that properties in southern California appreciate more rapidly than almost any other investment, it behooves me to hold onto it. But Trump’s utter obsession with being an imbecile fucked property owners in multiple states. Which, again, is a tax hike.

Generally speaking, I don’t give a shit what political party a person belongs to because I view all of them not named Ron or Rand Paul (and possibly Justin Amash) as useless. My only requirement: don’t raise my taxes, and don’t ban anything associated with weapons. You do either of those, and I’ll despise you and every fiber of your being. Trump did both, so fuck him.

And Biden would do the exact same thing, so fuck him, too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How is that “nonsensical jibberish”? When does lying, raising taxes, and shitting on the Second Amendment become “jibberish”? Or, am I supposed to bow and worship him like his cultist followers while willfully ignoring how much of a despicable piece of shit he is? He and Biden are both worthless.
Well you did give an example of the tax increase but why not elaborate on the lying and shitting on the second amendment. I should think to make these accusations there should be a basis. I would already mitigate the lying element buy sayin lying is a way of life in Washington DC as a general matter so maybe the second amendment needs some elaboration.. Also maybe a comparison of accomplishments in the face of working against a political coup deserves some credit as well. Some would have walked away but Trump is going choose to stand against it and continue his promise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he's talking about mortgage interest and property taxes for calculating your federal tax due. IIRC, prior to the change, they could be itemized without a cap, the cap is now $10,000 so if you have a house where your mortgage interest and property taxes are $20,000, you can now only deduct half of that when calculating your taxable income. If your tax rate under this scenario is 25%, then the change cost you $2,500 a year and it will likely have a subtle effect on property values because buyers can no longer factor in the savings from these deductions to the extent they could prior to the change under the Trump administration.

I've always thought this was kind of funny in light of democrats who claim Trump gave tax breaks for the rich because depending on how you define "rich", this ain't no tax break for them or anyone with a house mortgage who's interest & taxes are substantially higher than $10K
It's hard for me to comprehend a little just because some states really abuse those property taxes. I own two homes in Missouri with property of a pretty significant value. But my property taxes still don't touch $10,000. Of course if I owned the same property in California it would probably be a world of hurt in terms of property taxes. What states were able to do is literally charge a butt load in taxes and have the federal government foot part of that bill through their tax breaks. Principally speaking I think that's bullshit. Sucks for people like Plan9misfit but I don't consider that a tax hike. Not when the taxes overall are being lowered so substantially. All Trump really did was cut off the States from abusing the system.

If you ask me almost all of the bullshit should be eliminated and everyone pays a fair tax rate based on their bracket. You could actually save a ton of money in doing that and generate more tax dollars. But too many special interests and states have wormed their way into the system making the tax code so unbearable that people get paid a ton of money to manipulate it and enforce it. And then some people worm their way out of paying those taxes while others foot an unnecessary bill unknowingly.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It's hard for me to comprehend a little just because some states really abuse those property taxes. I own two homes in Missouri with property of a pretty significant value. But my property taxes still don't touch $10,000. Of course if I owned the same property in California it would probably be a world of hurt in terms of property taxes. What states were able to do is literally charge a butt load in taxes and have the federal government foot part of that bill through their tax breaks. Principally speaking I think that's bullshit. Sucks for people like Plan9misfit but I don't consider that a tax hike. Not when the taxes overall are being lowered so substantially. All Trump really did was cut off the States from abusing the system.

If you ask me almost all of the bullshit should be eliminated and everyone pays a fair tax rate based on their bracket. You could actually save a ton of money in doing that and generate more tax dollars. But too many special interests and states have wormed their way into the system making the tax code so unbearable that people get paid a ton of money to manipulate it and enforce it. And then some people worm their way out of paying those taxes while others foot an unnecessary bill unknowingly.
It isn't just based on property taxes, but against the interest deductions against the size of the mortgage. The median home price where my house in L.A. is located is $1.1M, where the median price where my house is in Dallas is around $220k. With the interest deductions being capped, it hits really hard. I completely agree that many states abuse property taxes (even Texas does that), but the impact is far less when the home values are low.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

I cant speak to the motivation of Trump, et al but its a pretty simple math problem. If your taxes & interest are beyond the $10K threshold, then your taxes will be going up some percentage for every dollar above that threshold (& the standard deduction) so call it whatever you want....tomatoe/tomata, the tax bill went up for many folks because of this change in the IRS code

Texas is hailed for not having an income tax but the property taxes are through the roof so perhaps thats the game you're saying the states are playing. My house is paid off yet it costs me over $20,000 a year in taxes alone just to live there. I suspect its even worse for places like California who have state income tax as well. Being heavily invested in real estate, I think I might welcome a change in the tax structure in Texas if it lowered property taxes and overall taxes. I dont like the idea of having to do a state income tax return though.

Bottomline, the horse is out of the barn....once the gov gets that tax money they never give it back by lowering taxes

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I cant speak to the motivation of Trump, et al but its a pretty simple math problem. If your taxes & interest are beyond the $10K threshold, then your taxes will be going up some percentage for every dollar above that threshold (& the standard deduction) so call it whatever you want....tomatoe/tomata, the tax bill went up for many folks because of this change in the IRS code

Texas is hailed for not having an income tax but the property taxes are through the roof so perhaps thats the game you're saying the states are playing. My house is paid off yet it costs me over $20,000 a year in taxes alone just to live there. I suspect its even worse for places like California who have state income tax as well. Being heavily invested in real estate, I think I might welcome a change in the tax structure in Texas if it lowered property taxes and overall taxes. I dont like the idea of having to do a state income tax return though.

Bottomline, the horse is out of the barn....once the gov gets that tax money they never give it back by lowering taxes
Exactly. Capping those deductions forced me to eat thousands of dollars a year. And since it's part of my federal tax filings, it's a tax hike. My income tax rate went down, but my deductions were massively cut, so those expenses are now being taken by the Government. I'm not sure how that isn't viewed as a tax hike. That tax plan hurt millions of people and helped very few. It's a piss poor tax plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. Capping those deductions forced me to eat thousands of dollars a year. And since it's part of my federal tax filings, it's a tax hike. My income tax rate went down, but my deductions were massively cut, so those expenses are now being taken by the Government. I'm not sure how that isn't viewed as a tax hike. That tax plan hurt millions of people and helped very few. It's a piss poor tax plan.
If taxes go down for 95% of Americans but because of the changes in code 5% have an increase who own substantial property. Is that a tax hike or a tax reduction? Again, I'd be upset with your state for their bullshit taxes but that's just me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Another factor the property owner of commercial and rental has is the depreciation of property. That presumes that if a business has assets that wear out they can then charge the government for the cost of replacing the asset and then start all over. I understand the cost of keeping the business in good condition but the abuse of other assets that get tied to the business is ridiculous. Vechicles and upkeep even they are mostly privately used. Replacement of items that have run out of amortization and replacements just because the schedules have ran. On and on. So I’m not so sure that a business can cry much over taxes they have been charging back to the government as an operating expense in the first place is raising taxes as much as it is collecting some of what has been charged to government in the first place.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If taxes go down for 95% of Americans but because of the changes in code 5% have an increase who own substantial property. Is that a tax hike or a tax reduction? Again, I'd be upset with your state for their bullshit taxes but that's just me.
But taxes didn't go down for 95% of the people, though. Those impacts hit tens of millions of property owners in coastal states, and that plan was structured that way by design. It was deliberately set up to punish people who live in those areas because they're generally "blue" states. It was politically motivated, nothing more.

What the Republicans clearly missed is that if they piss off enough people from those "blue" states, they'll move to lower cost "red" states and bring their shitty "blue" politics with them. I fail to see how that helps them maintain their political position in Washington, and I for one don't want any part of a Democrat controlled anything. I left California for a reason and have already seen the impacts of many Californians also coming here. Arizona is also feeling the impacts from folks from L.A. moving to the Phoenix area. At some point, it will backfire because they'll turn "red" states "blue". We know damn well that "blue" states aren't going to change their tax structures, so it'll simply displace citizens to other areas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But taxes didn't go down for 95% of the people, though. Those impacts hit tens of millions of property owners in coastal states, and that plan was structured that way by design. It was deliberately set up to punish people who live in those areas because they're generally "blue" states. It was politically motivated, nothing more.
So do you not agree that the majority of American's recieved a tax cut? Because if not I'm afraid you were manipulated to believe something that isn't true. Probably by the Democratic Party.

But again, you have a lower tax rate. You're being screwed by the Blue States manipulating the tax system. I'm not sure why that's difficult for some to understand. But then again 2 out of 3 people had a lower tax bill and a lot of those idiots don't even realize it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a perfect example of how ignorant people are even about the taxes they pay themselves:

Yet as the first tax filing season under the new law wraps up on Monday, taxpayers are skeptical. A survey conducted in early April for The New York Times by the online research platform SurveyMonkey found that just 40 percent of Americans believed they had received a tax cut under the law. Just 20 percent were certain they had done so. That’s consistent with previous polls finding that most Americans felt they hadn’t gotten a tax cut, and that a large minority thought their taxes had risen — though not even one in 10 households actually got a tax increase.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
FYI-the homeownership rate is estimated to be over 64%, its unlikely this only effected 5% of the country

FWIW, I recommend never basing a purchase or investment solely on some tax benefit or government program because they cant jerk it out from underneath you at any moment. I always look at a deal cold without any tax advantage to determine if I could carry it and then look at any tax or gov benefit as a temporary bonus

Top Bottom