Decoding McCarthy, Week 5 - Wrecked by the Niners...again.

dpf1123

DCC 4Life
Decoding McCarthy, Wk 5 - Wrecked by the Niners...again.
The new offensive approach appears to have fewer answers than the old one.

BOB STURM
OCT 10, 2023

Analyzing offense can be tricky. It bakes in so many narratives about how we follow this sport.

Who is running the offense? Who is playing QB? And the relative merits of both, we can fuel sports talk radio for weeks without visiting any other sector of this complex sport.

Did Mike McCarthy show us anything that Kellen Moore did not? Did Dak Prescott learn from the first few meetings vs the 49ers and adjust accordingly?

Negative.

But, there is much more to it.

There is an entire offense trying to block the best defense in football. There are receivers trying to get open and hopefully being given good plays to do so. And yes, there is a hope your defense is getting a stop once in a while.

Sunday was a mess in every category. From an offensive standpoint, it is the third meeting with the 49ers (albeit this one was low stakes in Week 5 vs the other two being playoff clashes) and none of them were able to score more than 17 points, hold the ball, get even 5 yards per play, and get close to 350 yards of total offense.
Here is the game-log for the offense in each matchup:

You might say the home game vs San Francisco was a D, last January’s performance was a F, and this one was an F-minus. This was the worst of them (4 giveaways!), but none of them got it done in any way. And we could argue it is getting worse.

Today, we want to focus on what lost the game instead of what made it worse.

What lost the game was the way this offense played in the first half.

Yes, the interceptions are a problem, but falling behind so quickly is the true issue. You had months to prepare a game plan for a meeting with the 49ers and the first four drives offered 10 plays for 8 yards, zero first downs, and a giveaway.

We want to examine that start-of-game script from Mike McCarthy to see what the thought process might have been for this showdown meeting.

The rest of the game mattered, but the damage was done. This slowest of starts before they finally put a drive together midway through the second quarter is how this offensive performance should be remembered and where our time should be spent today.

Here is the offensive data and we offer you red ink for bad and green ink for good.

There is no green ink this week, friends. None.

The offense was the worst version of itself. When you don’t get 200 yards or more than 10 points, you have “historically bad” on your hands as we mentioned yesterday:
Let’s look at all of the times the Cowboys have had their starting QB and had that horrendous production – under 200 yards and 10 points or less – in the last 21 seasons back to the day Bill Parcells was hired (we will eliminate final week games where the starters don’t play):
  • October 26, 2003 - Tampa Bay 16, Dallas 0
  • October 8, 2023 - San Francisco 42, Dallas 10
Where do we start?

Let’s now look at personnel groupings. I think they planned on using a lot of 10 personnel, but the train never left the station. This was the ultimate Mike Tyson game plan that clearly was hit squarely in the face early and often.

This next chart is even more revealing. To have a chance as an offense, you have to win on first down. The 49ers had no issue here as they averaged 7.66 yards per play on first down. That averages “2nd and 2” all day. Do you know how much fun calling offense must be when all you have is “2nd and 2?” instead of “2nd and 11”?
Here are the Cowboys on first downs.

20 plays for 39 yards. 1.95 yard per play! On a scale of 1-10, that is a 0.0.
Absolutely brutal.

DAK PRESCOTT NEXT GEN THROW CHART

Some missed throws and more than anything, never put any pressure on the 49ers coverage. They were able to play downhill all day and for the 3rd straight time, they clearly know how to make Dak play tentatively.
I kept that part above short because I want to now spend the rest of the time on the first four drives followed by five key throws the rest of the night.
This is a super-sized film session. Let’s get it.
1st drive
We start with the first time the Cowboys touch the ball, already down 7-0. They need an answer.

1Q - 11:10 - 1st and 10 - DAL 25 - Pollard left tackle for 1 yard.
First snap of the game is in 10 personnel. Don’t hate that at all and it was exactly what we thought they were setting up in the Jets game. You want to lighten the box and try to get a decent first down run behind Tyler and Tyron.

The issue here is that it looks like Tyler Biadasz is not running the same play as the rest of the offensive line. Looks like we have two double teams on the DT’s which is very normal, but No. 63 is pulling, I guess? No. 73 Smith is looking for help and No. 63 Biadasz doesn’t touch his guy and instead is pulling behind him?

Pollard has to be wondering what is happening. This actually appears to be a confused run look which to start the game seems crazy that preparation wouldn’t have everyone on the same page. One yard.

1Q - 10:37 - 2nd and 9 - DAL 26 - D.Prescott pass incomplete deep right to L.Schoonmaker.
You come back on 2nd and 9 with 21 personnel. No. 86 Schoonmaker is running a little seam/corner and is open for a quick 22-yard gain. Love the idea and this would get you out to midfield and quiet the stadium a bit.

Just hit an easy throw, Dak.

Instead, Prescott might be too amped because he sails this throw over the head of his guy. Let’s look at it from the end zone.

Pollard with a nice blitz pickup and Dak has plenty of time, and a clean pocket. This throw is very poor. No reason not to put it right on him. Instead, airmailed and now they are in a third and long and the stadium comes alive.

1Q - 10:32 - 3rd and 9 - DAL 26 - D.Prescott pass incomplete deep left to M.Gallup.
On third down, the 49ers are going to show you some crowded fronts.

They are going to try to bring more than you have to protect and make your QB process quickly. Dak picks the fade to Gallup here due to man coverage outside the numbers. The throw never had a chance as Gallup hasn’t stacked a DB on a vertical in a few years.

Back shoulder fade might work, but a straight fade isn’t going to win. What I am looking at is at the top of the screen, the 49ers double CeeDee Lamb at the snap and have him bracketed, but that seems to leave Jake Ferguson with nothing but grass in front of him. If Dak hits him, does he get all 9 yards? I like his chances.
Honestly, three reasonable play-calls, but offensive line mistake and then two pass plays that had open options available.

2nd Drive

Defense gets you a 3-and-out, so still 7-0. Time to get going.1Q - 8:46 - 1st and 10 - DAL 21 - D.Prescott pass short left to T.Pollard pushed ob at DAL 20 for -1 yards
11 personnel with a bunch-up top and Ferguson down below. This is slant-flat. I know that will trigger some of you, so I will not elaborate.

The premise is that Ferguson is supposed to interfere with the man coverage on Pollard. So, Greenlaw is the LB to the bottom and if the slant can get in the way, then Pollard catches a swing and is on his horse. Trouble is, if it isn’t timed perfectly and there is no interference, then Pollard is dealing with two of the fastest linebackers you have ever seen and has no chance. Also, can we call a bodyslam that is out of bounds or no?

Seems a bit unnecessary.

Loss of one. Second and 11.
1Q - 8:14 - 2nd and 11 - DAL 20 - D.Prescott pass short right to C.Lamb to DAL 28 for 8 yards
11 personnel. Good protection and Lamb uncovers quickly. Got 8 back to set up third and 3.

1Q - 7:39 - 3rd and 3 - DAL 28 - D.Prescott sacked at DAL 22 for -6 yards (sack split by N.Bosa and A.Armstead)
This play is a vital third-and-short. The Cowboys have chances here, but it will come down to whether Terence Steele can give Dak a moment or whether Nick Bosa will sack him before these short routes win. Steele loses so fast at right tackle that this play has no chance. Also notice Fred Warner looking to step in front of Dak’s first read on any slants to the bottom of the screen. Fred Warner is one of my favorite players in football. And Steele struggled all night vs Bosa and had a very poor game.

3rd Drive

Defense forced another punt with a big 3rd down stop. 49ers downed the punt at the Cowboys 5, so here is their third drive that won’t last long.1Q - 0:47 - 1st and 10 - DAL 5 - T.Pollard left end to DAL 9 for 4 yards (F.Warner). FUMBLES (F.Warner), touched at DAL 9, RECOVERED by SF-K.Givens at DAL 16.
22 personnel and they have a fullback lead that works well. Hunter Luepke and Tyler Smith are both making a path and this will really help – until Tony Pollard has the ball expertly punched out by Warner. Holy heck, what a play and then the ball stays in bounds offering incredible home field advantage to the 49ers. That punch is incredible but it is also a damaging giveaway by Dallas.
4th Drive

Amazingly, the defense got the ball back again on Jourdan Lewis’ fumble recovery that probably should have saved the day by taking a touchdown away. We sit here with the score still 7-0. Dallas still is one play away. But, the time is now as we head to the second quarter.
2Q - 14:56 - 1st and 10 - DAL 2 - D.Prescott pass incomplete deep right to M.Gallup (C.Ward).

11 personnel and the Cowboys call a “shot play” on first down. Again, I don’t hate the premise. Dak has Lamb and Gallup on verticals and neither draws a safety, but Lamb does have one on his hash that is leaning his way. So, Dak chooses Gallup again. This one has a chance as Gallup has a step and the throw is fine, but No. 7 Ward recovers and makes a play on the ball. Would love to see Dez in his prime go win this ball with a physical play, but I don’t think that guy is currently on the roster. That said, not a bad idea. Aggressive shot plays make sense from your own end zone.
2Q - 14:50 - 2nd and 10 - DAL 2 - D.Prescott pass short left to M.Gallup pushed ob at DAL 10 for 8 yards
12 personnel on second and 10. Cowboys use Lamb to draw the attention and throw over his head to Gallup at the sticks. Niners are loaded in the box and are not going to allow a run. Cowboys wanted 10, but Gallup pushed out after a gain of 8. Again, solid second down play and are now in a good spot for third-and-short.
2Q - 14:21 - 3rd and 2 - DAL 10 - D.Prescott sacked at DAL 4 for -6 yards (F.Warner).
Third-and-2 and you have to convert this — vital is an understatement.
11 personnel bunch that motions into 2x2. Cowboys run the air raid mesh at the sticks with Ferguson and Lamb. This is the perfect call that I would recommend for this spot. As soon as Lamb clears Ferguson, Dak needs to hit him. Trouble is, Fred Warner knows the play, too. And not only does he know the play, he knows that if he jumps the mesh and blocks Lamb’s path, he has a pick-6. Dak sees it and gives Lamb a chance to clear Warner, but must step left to avoid the pressure. Let’s change views now.
Watch No. 54 Warner. He knows. Then Dak is trying to buy time, but by now, Warner is closing on him. There is nowhere else to go with the ball as both guys on this side of the field are covered. Warner gets the sack, too. I want to say there are very few times where you simply acknowledge that you just saw one of the best plays a linebacker could ever hope to make and between this and the punch out with Pollard, Fred Warner is the MVP of this game. He knew the play and then he had the ability to cover the receiver and make the sack at the same time. On second down, you tell Dak to throw the ball into the crowd. On third down, he has to try to make a play, so throwing it away makes no sense.
That was the last snap where they were within one score.
Other notable plays

2Q - 7:51 - 3rd and 4 - SF 26 - D.Prescott pass deep right to K.Turpin for 26 yards, TOUCHDOWN
Beautiful work here from the QB on a third-down blitz. Great throw to Turpin on a motion corner vs man coverage. This is a fine blitz beater but it takes a throw into the bucket and Dak didn’t miss. 14-7 with a touchdown to Kavontae Turpin.
2Q - 0:50 - 1st and 10 - DAL 25 - D.Prescott pass incomplete deep left to B.Cooks.
Here, you are down 21-7 and a drive here in the final minute of the first half can change the game because you get the ball to start the third quarter. Two scores changes this game. This is the first play of the drive and they are going to get vertical again on first down.
Protection breaks down and Dak is flushed, but he sees Brandin Cooks running with Warner and this is the dream. A 4.3 receiver vs a linebacker with no safety.
The trouble is that this is a 60-yard throw and while it is worth trying, the degree of difficulty to find your target here is high. Also, people have been showing screen shots of Lamb open, but A) it is after Dak made up his mind to look for Cooks deep (correct call, by the way) and B) Lamb is not running a route, he running to space and that is a lot to ask your QB to find him during that chaos of being flushed. The QB makes the right choice, but cannot throw the ball out of bounds. Other view:
If he throws it in bounds, I think it is either a 60-yard gain or possibly a pass interference. I repeat: You cannot throw this ball out of bounds.
Let’s look at the three second half interceptions and get out of here.
3Q - 6:15 - 1st and 10 - DAL 37 - D.Prescott pass deep left intended for B.Cooks INTERCEPTED by T.Gipson at SF 12.
Down 28-10, Dak is now in “YOLO” mode. 12 personnel and two verticals again on the outside. Lamb is open on a stop to the bottom, but Dak throws it right into the safety’s path. This is why you cannot play QB frustrated.
4Q - 14:15 - 2nd and 10 - DAL 25 - D.Prescott pass short left intended for M.Gallup INTERCEPTED by F.Warner
11 personnel. Blitz from the left and Dak properly throws a slant into the blitz. Gallup must win this route and, again, does not. It is odd because Gallup does a lot of things to lose the trust of his QB and yet his QB keeps trusting him. I am not sure that is a compliment or an insult, but I don’t think Gallup is a starting receiver right now. This would make Michael Irvin want to throw hands. This is not on your QB and of course it bounces perfectly to Warner.
4Q - 12:58 - 1st and 10 - SF 42 - D.Prescott pass short right intended for B.Cooks INTERCEPTED by O.Burks at SF 36
This is definitely on your QB. First and 10 and they are now at the point of the game where the Niners defenders are jumping everything. It is time to get your stats and Dak has now thrown into this look like he wants to not take another hit. Time to get him out of there, coach. The damage has been done.
Well, I promised a lot of film. In looking at it again, I will tell you that I don’t hate the game plan as much as I did on Sunday Night.
A lot of the plan actually makes sense on paper as reasonable ideas. But, on the field, the battles were lost that would make any game-plan look bad. The QB missed too many opportunities and the run game gave you no help. Things got out of hand quickly and they need more solutions for being pinned in deep and in a loud stadium. The trouble is, against that defense, the solutions are rare.
The good news? You don’t play Fred Warner and Nick Bosa every week.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Their defense, and likely Warner primarily, just knows exactly what's coming with our offense and has for years.

I honestly think that to beat them McCarthy/Schottenheimer need to come up with a game plan that is somewhere around 35-50% brand new, or nearly brand new plays/route combinations that we haven't ran before.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And besides the Xs and Os, they were super fired up like it was a playoff game, while we seemed shell shocked the whole game like we couldn't believe how hard they were playing. We have to bring a lot more emotion and energy and violence if we play them again.

Top Bottom