DCC Appreciation Thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think if people knew the gravity of the shit that is in what we eat, they would be mortified.
High Fructose Corn Syrup, for example, should be all but banned. This shit f*cks up human digestion and insulin balance more than just about anything else.

It’s helping fuel the healthcare industry, I guess, which is an economic cash cow at the moment so in combination with the corn lobby politicians have literally 0 incentive to make a change. FDA is an understaffed joke with no teeth whatsoever.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
High Fructose Corn Syrup, for example, should be all but banned. This shit f*cks up human digestion and insulin balance more than just about anything else.

What makes you say that? Everything I've read is that there's virtually no difference between high fructose corn syrup and sugar.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What makes you say that? Everything I've read is that there's virtually no difference between high fructose corn syrup and sugar.
You are correct, and I’m not saying in isolation the most popular distribution is really different. It can also come in concentrations that are seriously stronger than sugar— but even that’s not my concern.

The main thing is it can sweeten all kinds of foods as a liquid and makes it easier to sweeten food and make it more addictive. People shouldn’t eat that much added sugar. Food producers put it in everything from ketchup to marinara sauce.

I know you can’t stop stupid, people are going to over-eat, but that’s one of the things that makes it easy and encourages it. And the stronger doses can totally screw you though they are not as common.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You are correct, and I’m not saying in isolation the most popular distribution is really different. It can also come in concentrations that are seriously stronger than sugar— but even that’s not my concern.

The main thing is it can sweeten all kinds of foods as a liquid and makes it easier to sweeten food and make it more addictive. People shouldn’t eat that much added sugar. Food producers put it in everything from ketchup to marinara sauce.

I know you can’t stop stupid, people are going to over-eat, but that’s one of the things that makes it easy and encourages it. And the stronger doses can totally screw you though they are not as common.
HFC ties into our Sweet Tea debate. It’s bad news .

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But there is sugar in ketchup and marinara sauce as part of a normal recipe. What exactly makes it being corn syrup instead of sugar worse?
Its only purpose is to be cheaply laced into processed foods. You wouldn’t ever use it in the kitchen in a real recipe.

And whatever the recipe, you can bet the cheapest, most mass produced, and most available foods will have more of that shit laced in. Get people hooked.

Health conscious “New” Ragu now boasts that it doesn’t have added sugars or HFCS at all, like they’re doing us a huge favor by taking out the addictive, unnecessary crap they artificially added to begin with. Wasn’t always that way.

Bertolli adds 12 grams per serving, I mean WTF? There’s cutting tomato acidity and then there’s just abusing your consumers.

If you need to sweeten, then use sugar. Do it the honest way.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Its only purpose is to be cheaply laced into processed foods. You wouldn’t ever use it in the kitchen in a real recipe.

And whatever the recipe, you can bet the cheapest, most mass produced, and most available foods will have more of that shit laced in. Get people hooked.

Health conscious “New” Ragu now boasts that it doesn’t have added sugars or HFCS at all, like they’re doing us a huge favor by taking out the addictive, unnecessary crap they artificially added to begin with. Wasn’t always that way.

Bertolli adds 12 grams per serving, I mean WTF? There’s cutting tomato acidity and then there’s just abusing your consumers.

If you need to sweeten, then use sugar. Do it the honest way.

But now we're back to, if there's no health difference between sugar and high fructose corn syrup (both are bad for you in excessive quantities but neither seems to be worse than the other), then what's the difference?

I'd honestly rather they use the cheaper product all things being equal because we're paying with our wallets in the end. Companies aren't going to switch to more expensive ingredients without charging us more for it.

This is why the free market is so valuable.

If high fructose corn syrup bothers you that much there are usually alternatives on the market that you can choose from. If there's no alternative then don't buy the product or make it yourself.

I don't see the need for more government regulation without a compelling reason.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Pretty sure HFCS has a higher glycemic index than sugar. Like something ridiculously high.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But now we're back to, if there's no health difference between sugar and high fructose corn syrup (both are bad for you in excessive quantities but neither seems to be worse than the other), then what's the difference?

I'd honestly rather they use the cheaper product all things being equal because we're paying with our wallets in the end. Companies aren't going to switch to more expensive ingredients without charging us more for it.

This is why the free market is so valuable.

If high fructose corn syrup bothers you that much there are usually alternatives on the market that you can choose from. If there's no alternative then don't buy the product or make it yourself.

I don't see the need for more government regulation without a compelling reason.
The diabetes, %overweight, and heart disease numbers in this country are compelling.

Business isn’t trying to kill anyone, but the overall complex is contributing to poor health. I think it’s left to government to find ways to mitigate.

I was being hyperbolic regarding an outright ban, but measures to limit the proliferation would be good for the consuming public.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Business isn’t trying to kill anyone, but the overall complex is contributing to poor health. I think it’s left to government to find ways to mitigate.
The problem is, the FDA and similar three-letters are good in spirit, but they've been captured and corrupted by the very companies they're supposed to regulate.

Just like we've seen recently with big pharma.

Top Bottom