Daron Bland

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep, last night was just a thing for the fans, but it was useful in that it was the most I've seen the ones go against the ones without as much mixing and matching as earlier in camp.

Other observations, say it again, Bohanna is your starting NT. Live it, love it. Also Tolbert settled in a bit, Brown didn't catch much (Diggs and A. Brown especially talked a lot of shit with him and it didn't look all playful), and they said the TE coach Loves with a capital L Hendershot. Said he can do things no other TE on the team can do.
Yea I noticed that about Bohanna last night, it was him and Odighizuwa on the interior with the 1's. Watkins still seemed to be rotating in heavily so I'll be curious to see what they do with him vs. Ridgeway, assuming Odighizuwa/Gallimore/Bohanna/Hill/Golston are all locks to make the team.

I think athletically Hendershot is on a different than our other TE's in terms of stretching the field and run after the catch. He's still raw and seemingly not a great blocker though, so you'd be using a roster spot to gamble on his upside, but I think I'd be fine with that in lieu of keeping someone like McKeon who will probably never be anything more than a solid number 2 TE.

Of course if the plan is to re-sign Schultz we have absolutely no need for a low ceiling TE2 considering we have Ferguson on a rookie deal for the next several years, so roll the dice.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I really liked what little we saw of McKeon last year but he's an afterthought this year. After hearing that last night, I have no doubt Hendershot makes the team.

I'd hoped both Bohanna and Ridgeway would make it but Watkins seems well ahead of JR in every practice I've seen. I don't think JR has shown enough to trust him in games yet. Not sure what they'll do there.

I think I'm more worried about WR2 than I even was. Brown has looked good in drills that I've seen but he couldn't get open last night. Afraid we're going to find he was only decent as the 4th wr who was barely accounted for the last couple of years. Maybe they trust Ferguson and go heavy 2 and even 3 TE vs the Bucs? Or maybe they actually do plan to play Turpin some. He really did have a nice contested catch last night, so it's not like he has terrible hands.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I really liked what little we saw of McKeon last year but he's an afterthought this year. After hearing that last night, I have no doubt Hendershot makes the team.

I'd hoped both Bohanna and Ridgeway would make it but Watkins seems well ahead of JR in every practice I've seen. I don't think JR has shown enough to trust him in games yet. Not sure what they'll do there.

I think I'm more worried about WR2 than I even was. Brown has looked good in drills that I've seen but he couldn't get open last night. Afraid we're going to find he was only decent as the 4th wr who was barely accounted for the last couple of years. Maybe they trust Ferguson and go heavy 2 and even 3 TE vs the Bucs? Or maybe they actually do plan to play Turpin some. He really did have a nice contested catch last night, so it's not like he has terrible hands.
There's no doubt that Watkins is a better player right now, so the question is would you rather keep the better player and gamble on the prospect making the PS (and staying on the PS) or do you let the better player go in hopes of developing Ridgeway into something more valuable by year 2/3?

In terms of the WR situation, I think Brown will be ok as a possession-type WR who can sit down in zones and find open pockets of space within about 10 or so yards of the LOS, but he's not dynamic at all and won't create big plays.

Will that be enough as a WR3 with a rookie acting as your number 2?

Doubtful, so if they actually don't do anything at the position the passing game is going to have to be very manufactured with lots of quick hitters and screens to Pollard to make up for the lack of explosiveness outside of Lamb. The passing game will obviously rely heavily on Lamb/Schultz, with Brown acting as a possession-type and then you cross your fingers that you can get something out of young guys like Tolbert, Ferguson, Houston and Fehoko.

But unless there's a god damn miracle with one of those guys the passing game is going to have be heavily manufactured/schemed up by the coaches with motion and misdirection to try to conjure up some big plays outside of Lamb. I'm not optimistic based on what we saw last year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yep, last night was just a thing for the fans, but it was useful in that it was the most I've seen the ones go against the ones without as much mixing and matching as earlier in camp.

Other observations, say it again, Bohanna is your starting NT. Live it, love it. Also Tolbert settled in a bit, Brown didn't catch much (Diggs and A. Brown especially talked a lot of shit with him and it didn't look all playful), and they said the TE coach Loves with a capital L Hendershot. Said he can do things no other TE on the team can do.
Bohanna has looked good, improved. Also, we have an improved TE group, Ferguson looks good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bohanna has looked good, improved. Also, we have an improved TE group, Ferguson looks good.
I love Bohanna getting that job. He has looked a lot better and he is that real run stopping NT we have always bitched about wanting. But let's face it, you'll get a real heavy rotation on the Dline anyway. Osa and Gallimore I think have come a long way too. And hell maybe Hill isn't total trash.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Overall we are better at DT, Safety, TE, and CB, even at DE, C, QB, P, RB, OG, and LB, and terribly, terribly worse at K, WR, and OT.

We are basically praying for young people and coaching to step up at some key positions

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Overall we are better at DT, Safety, TE, and CB, even at DE, C, QB, P, RB, OG, and LB,

How are we better at safety, CB, DE, C, QB, P, RB or OG? That's an enormously optimistic spin on those positions when most of those are basically the same personnel as last season and a few of those lost players.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How are we better at safety, CB, DE, C, QB, P, RB or OG? That's an enormously optimistic spin on those positions when most of those are basically the same personnel as last season and a few of those lost players.
Depth Safeties, DT, TE’s, and corners are playing better than last year, pure and simple.

Maybe I should have typed “even” in bold, it means the following position groups are even with last year

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Depth Safeties, DT, TE’s, and corners are playing better than last year, pure and simple.

Maybe I should have typed “even” in bold, it means the following position groups are even with last year

I saw the "even" but I misunderstood it as "even these positions are better" as opposed to "these positions are even", so my bad.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We do need to make sure we put respect in his name as it is DaRon, not Daron.
I appreciate the details, booznatch!

With Lewis out, Bland should get the nod over 24. If not for draft status he'd be gone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I appreciate the details, booznatch!

With Lewis out, Bland should get the nod over 24. If not for draft status he'd be gone.
24 is my boy Muk, Nahshon is 25.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
  • Haha
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom