Danieal Manning anyone?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
His technique was clever, his message was quite rude.
Wasn't clever enough for Me to understand and everyone, watch it with the senior citizen remarks. :excellent

hstour

Brand New Member
He is saying 0 users on here have a clue.
It's actually a statement on the general population. I use that same signature on every forum/message board.

In IT there are IT personnel and users. Those who can make the computers work and those that say "I just wish we'd go back to using paper."

It works in every profession. There are those that can scout talent on the whole and those that caught up on 40 times or verticals.

hstour

Brand New Member
Here's an example for my previous post. Mike Mayock is supposedly one of the top draft analysts. I've seen on plenty of message boards where people quote his reporting as the draft gospel. But if he is so good, why is he not running NFL scouting department (doing in the example) rather than writing for NFL.com (being a user).

This might be why:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/2/5570846/nfl-draft-rankings-mike-mayock-2014

D

Deuce

Here's an example for my previous post. Mike Mayock is supposedly one of the top draft analysts. I've seen on plenty of message boards where people quote his reporting as the draft gospel. But if he is so good, why is he not running NFL scouting department (doing in the example) rather than writing for NFL.com (being a user).

This might be why:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/2/5570846/nfl-draft-rankings-mike-mayock-2014
Another example would be a list of Jerry Jones' actual draft record.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This might be why:

Draft pundits have a harder job than even most scouts and NFL GMs in that they have to intrinsically judge all talent, regardless of scheme, team fit and need.

It makes it worse when there is the compulsion to slot that talent into a numerical plan that supposedly fits all teams in terms of best talent.

And a simple fact of the matter is that why draft "gurus" like Mayock and Kiper have never held a front office job in the NFL is simple.

They aren't related to anyone to get promoted into the job with no qualifications.

And if you could get to do what you wanted to do and be a draft pundit with no accountability and just do brief TV work or an NFL scout travelling all year every year, which would you take?

D

Deuce

Draft pundits have a harder job than even most scouts and NFL GMs in that they have to intrinsically judge all talent, regardless of scheme, team fit and need.

It makes it worse when there is the compulsion to slot that talent into a numerical plan that supposedly fits all teams in terms of best talent.

And a simple fact of the matter is that why draft "gurus" like Mayock and Kiper have never held a front office job in the NFL is simple.

They aren't related to anyone to get promoted into the job with no qualifications.

And if you could get to do what you wanted to do and be a draft pundit with no accountability and just do brief TV work or an NFL scout travelling all year every year, which would you take?
Not to mention, I bet ESPN and NFL Network both pay a hell of a lot more than scouts make.

hstour

Brand New Member

I can see that. And you also have to throw in the fact that a guy you rate high may be drafted by a team that moves him to a position that doesn't really fit (e.g. making a 4-3 DE a 3-4 DE).

But as for not being related, if you can hit on better than 60% of your draft predictions, some team would offer you a job.

And that's a hard decision. I travel a lot now. And direct support staff gets a SB ring too. Not the same ring as the players but a SB ring none the less. I'm not getting one on my 40 times. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
I can see that. And you also have to throw in the fact that a guy you rate high may be drafted by a team that moves him to a position that doesn't really fit (e.g. making a 4-3 DE a 3-4 DE).

But as for not being related, if you can hit on better than 60% of your draft predictions, some team would offer you a job.

And that's a hard decision. I travel a lot now. And direct support staff gets a SB ring too. Not the same ring as the players but a SB ring none the less. I'm not getting one on my 40 times. :lol
You work in an NFL organization?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yep, and these guys on TV don't have as much access to the prospects in terms of interviews, visits at the team HQ, etc. Sometimes a guy can have great physical talent that shows up on tape in college but the reason they don't succeed in the NFL is their mental makeup, personality, etc. and you can't really gauge that unless you meet with the guy face to face, if at all.

Then as was pointed out you have guys who get drafted into a bad schematic fit, or onto a team that has a poisonous locker room situation, or a team where the HC is fired the next year and the new regime doesn't want guys drafted by the old regime.

There are so many factors which affect how guys pan out that these TV guys can't forsee, it's different of course for individual teams because they're only making decisions for their own situations, not to mention their big boards aren't posted every year for the world to see like it is with the TV guys.

I'd imagine if we had access to all 32 big boards there would be plenty of head-scratchers, if not more compared to the TV guys.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He seemed to be talking about whether he'd take a scouting job over a pundit job, answering booze's question, and mentioning the ring possibility as a reason he might choose scout.

hstour

Brand New Member
No, I'm a BI architect (thus the SQL statement in my sig).

And yes, that is what I was talking about Clay. If I was a draft pundit, was good at it and could get a job in a scouting department; then I would consider that job. Not everyone gets to say they got a SB ring (in whatever capacity).

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And yes, that is what I was talking about Clay. If I was a draft pundit, was good at it and could get a job in a scouting department; then I would consider that job. Not everyone gets to say they got a SB ring (in whatever capacity).
There is something to be said about being able to build something and being the GM of a franchise would be the ultimate challenge for someone like that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Is a BI architect anything like a truck driver because that's what you came to the board proclaiming?

Cotton

Staff member
Is a BI architect anything like a truck driver because that's what you came to the board proclaiming?
Different guy. That was Cowboy Hank.

Top Bottom