Crisp: Jerry Says He'd Consider Bringing Josh Brent Back

Carp

DCC 4Life
Brent has never played really well...he is ok, nothing special...he is a JAG.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Brent had 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 12 games and was only a starter for 7 of those games, Paul Soliai had 34 tackles and 1 sack in 15 games last year.

In 2012 Po'uha from the Jets had 25 tackles in 12 games.

B.J. Raji in his best year had 29 tackles

Sopoaga in his last full year as a starter had 27 tackles and his best year had 41.

Hayden is a Jag, Brent had some upside.

Jiggyfly

Banned
His numbers are JAG status.
So in your mind everybody I listed is a jag?

Casey Hampton averaged about 30 tackles a year his high was 43 which is what Brent would be projected as a full time starter.

What numbers do you think take you out of jag status?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His numbers are JAG status.
1-techniques don't have many numbers you can rely on to gauge. You kind of have to look at the overall defensive performance with them and without them which is hard to do.

I recall Brent was playing well and then everything tragically blew up. This is a big reason why he slipped in the supplemental draft.

Anyways, it would be hard for me to "welcome" back any addict who can't stop falling off the wagon. If we ever come to depend on him, when will he melt down next?

Carp

DCC 4Life
So in your mind everybody I listed is a jag?

Casey Hampton averaged about 30 tackles a year his high was 43 which is what Brent would be projected as a full time starter.

What numbers do you think take you out of jag status?
No numbers associated with it...he is just not all that great. He does not make this team much better at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My laughing was as much pointed at Brent being our "savior" as him Church admitting that we are desperate up front. I would suppose those go hand in hand, though.

p1_

DCC 4Life
1-techniques don't have many numbers you can rely on to gauge. You kind of have to look at the overall defensive performance with them and without them which is hard to do.

I recall Brent was playing well and then everything tragically blew up. This is a big reason why he slipped in the supplemental draft.

Anyways, it would be hard for me to "welcome" back any addict who can't stop falling off the wagon. If we ever come to depend on him, when will he melt down next?
We traded for McClain. How much more desperate does it get?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Ah, fuck it. Just do it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Josh Brent aims to return to NFL

Updated: July 30, 2014, 9:18 PM ET

By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Former Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent will meet with Commissioner Roger Goodell by the end of next week, if not sooner, in an effort to gain reentry to the NFL, according to his agent Peter Schaffer.

Brent was released from a Dallas addiction rehabilitation facility Tuesday.

Brent retired prior to the 2013 season and prior to the trial that convicted him of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed his friend and Cowboys teammate, Jerry Brown Jr.

"There are a lot of bridges that had to be crossed to get to this point and there still are bridges that have to be crossed now," said Schaffer.

"But I do believe he is a much mature and aware individual. He'll be a better player and person. He'll be playing with a sense of purpose for Jerry's family and people will see he deserves a second chance."

Schaffer said there were multiple requirements for Brent to get to this point. He had to spend close to 45 days at the Enter Health Facility in Dallas area, where Brent built up a support system that still is helping rehabilitate him.

Brent also went to the Brown family to get their blessing on resuming his NFL career, and Schaffer said they happily extended it.

Now Brent needs Goodell to be comfortable reinstating him, and the Cowboys must determine whether they want to bring him back to their roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just have to say that Jerry Brown's mamma, family whatever...good and forgiving people, almost to a fault. I can't say I would react as they have.

hstour

Brand New Member
The interesting question is how will the NFL react to Brent in the face of the 2 game suspension for Rice.

Will be interesting to see the media reaction too and if they connect the two. They should because both instances aren't in the CBA as PEDs/illegal drugs are.

Both of these situations are "judgement" calls.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Josh Brent’s agent on NFL return of DT: ‘He has decided he would like to continue his NFL career’ if Cowboys, NFL will take him back

By Rainer Sabin rsabin@dallasnews.com
10:14 pm on July 30, 2014

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent was released from his residential substance abuse treatment program Tuesday and owner Jerry Jones said he expects the retired 26-year-old to submit reinstatement papers with the NFL.

Brent’s initial meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had to be pushed back after he wasn’t released Monday. The meeting has been rescheduled and is expected to take place sometime over the next two weeks, sources said.

Brent will have to meet with Goodell before he can join any NFL team. He has intentions of restarting his NFL career after retiring last July, Brent’s agent Peter Schaffer said.

“He has decided he would like to continue his NFL career if the Cowboys will have him and the NFL will take him back,” Schaffer said.

Brent was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation in January after being convicted of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed friend and teammate Jerry Brown Jr., a practice squad linebacker. Brent was released from jail June 15 and allowed to spend the final 45 days of his jail sentence in rehabilitation.

Doctors and clinicians, according to Schaffer, said it would be in Brent’s best interest to return to football. Brent spent approximately 45 days at Enter Health Facility, according to Schaffer, who added that Brent received the blessing of Stacey Jackson, Brown’s mother, to resume his career.

Brent’s likely landing spot remains the Cowboys. And Jones said to start training camp last week he’d welcome Brent back.

Brent retired about 24 hours before the Cowboys were to leave for training camp last July and before the league could hand down any punishment.

“He’s come a long way and he’s ready to go,” Schaffer said.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sources: Former Dallas Cowboys DT Josh Brent released from rehabilitation; next stop is meeting Roger Goodell

By Brandon George / Reporter
6:29 pm on July 30, 2014 | Permalink

OXNARD, Calif. – Former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent was released from his residential substance abuse treatment program Tuesday and is now free to pursue his football career again, sources said.

Brent’s initial meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had to be pushed back after he wasn’t released Monday. The meeting has been rescheduled and is expected to take place sometime over the next two weeks, sources said.

Brent, 26, will have to meet with Goodell before he can join any NFL team. He has intentions of restarting his NFL career after retiring last July, a source said.

Brent’s likely landing spot remains the Cowboys after owner Jerry Jones said to start training camp last week he’d welcome Brent back.

Brent retired about 24 hours before the Cowboys were to leave for training camp last July and before the league could hand down any punishment.

Brent was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation in January after being convicted of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed friend and teammate Jerry Brown Jr., a practice squad linebacker. Brent was released from jail June 15 and allowed to spend the final 45 days of his jail sentence in rehabilitation.

Brent will have to apply for reinstatement into the league — that process has begun — and could face additional discipline from Goodell.

“I do believe in paying your debt,” Jones said following a news conference to open training camp last Wednesday. “Paying your debt, paying the price. I don’t have the information you need to have to make that consideration. We have stood with Josh Brent from the very beginning and continue. Josh Brent deserves an opportunity. I know firsthand he has contrition. So, yes, I will consider giving him an opportunity.

Cowboys safety Barry Church also said his teammates would welcome back Brent.

“If they open the door for him,” Church said, “I’m opening my arms. I can’t wait.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full speed ahead, especially on the heels of the Lawrence loss.....

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Whoa. He's a football player?

Top Bottom