Cowlishaw: Dak Prescott is selling himself now, and that’s a problem for the Dallas Cowboys

data

Forbes #1
I don’t trust any stat next to what I can see clear as day on the field. We have an above-average and still unproven QB in Dallas.
You talking about Dak or Romo? I think both.

Romo and Dak have had opportunity as #1 seeds and failed to advance to NFCC. They've both lost win-and-in games in December. They both post similar, almost identical, ANY/A.

ANY/A doesn't provide context to how a QB's defense performed against the opponent, but when it comes down to it, here are Romo and Dak's point performance in the playoffs:

Romo: 20, 17, 34, 3, 24, 21
Dak: 31, 24, 22
-----
If you see Romo as some proven God's Gift to QBs and Dak is merely above-average, then you don't see clear as day on the field.

data

Forbes #1
I don’t trust any stat next to what I can see clear as day on the field. We have an above-average and still unproven QB in Dallas.
Tom Brady 7.51 (2007-2019)
Aaron Rodgers 7.4 (2009-2019)
Drew Brees 7.38 (2006-2019)
Philip Rivers 6.93 (2006-2019)
Dak Prescott 6.92 (2016-2019)
Matt Ryan 6.82 (2010-2019)
Matt Stafford 6.47 (2011-2019)

What's the problem here? You're blasting any stat, but ANY/A is confirming your eyes. ANY/A and your eyes are in agreement.

Is ANY/A here showing Dak is an all-time great? No...he's right between Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan, who are known for being inconsistent and above-average.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because it’s thrown behind them. Do you blame ALL the WRs, or the one thing they have in common?

The Dak Cult’s blind spots grows every year
I guess I should blame Dak for making Cooper, Gallup and Cobb have their best seasons in years too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You talking about Dak or Romo? I think both.

If you see Romo as some proven God's Gift to QBs and Dak is merely above-average, then you don't see clear as day on the field.
I don’t see where I mentioned Romo at all. Sure, four years ago when he, a much moreproven commodity, should have started in the playoffs over a then rookie Dak, but when in this thread?

Dak is the one taking us through this OL’s window of opportunity. He’s getting outstanding talent to fill in the gaps around the line, too.

He’s taken advantage of it against average competition, but he refuses to throw to players who look at all covered. That conservative nature was burned into him as a rookie and it’s taking him a long time to grow out of it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He’s taken advantage of it against average competition, but he refuses to throw to players who look at all covered. That conservative nature was burned into him as a rookie and it’s taking him a long time to grow out of it.

What about Daks passing last year screams conservative? You're just throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

Also Dak was 10-14 against teams with winning records. Considering Garrett's suckage as a big game coach goes all the way back through the history of Romo it probably has more to do with Garrett than Dak.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What about Daks passing last year screams conservative? You're just throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.
No, when guys like Amari Cooper look covered they often aren’t with the right pass.

Dak’s opportunity for growth is to learn how to throw to him anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, when guys like Amari Cooper look covered they often aren’t with the right pass.

Why? Why not throw to the open receiver?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why? Why not throw to the open receiver?
When you keep taking the safe action you don’t grow as a QB or an offense.

When you deliver that pass to Cooper anyways, you inspire him to do more by showing you believe in him.

That’s the next level I think, and I hope Dak can get there

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you keep taking the safe action you don’t grow as a QB or an offense.

When you deliver that pass to Cooper anyways, you inspire him to do more by showing you believe in him.

That’s the next level I think, and I hope Dak can get there
And Gallup would be pissed because he just burned single coverage while you forced the ball to a covered Cooper. Also receivers drop balls way more often in tight coverage. Unless we are talking back shoulder fades Dak reads defenses the right way.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I think I would prefer his growth aim toward avoiding covered receivers and learn to read the field quicker and look for an open receivers. Then if all are covered chuck the rock out of bounds or some place that would avoid grounding.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wait a minute, so now we are saying Dak should intentionally throw into coverage, because, Dak and stuff?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just know the most feared offenses take more risks. The more you try and plan to take them, the better you get at making them pay off.

I think those back-breaking plays make a huge difference against the best competition and especially in the playoffs. Superbowl was a perfect example

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think those back-breaking plays make a huge difference against the best competition and especially in the playoffs. Superbowl was a perfect example
You're right. It absolutely was.

I'll bet Jimmy G. and Kyle Shannahan are wishing that they had not taken those unnecessary risks. Throw into coverage a little less and they're world champions today.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I think I would prefer his growth aim toward avoiding covered receivers and learn to read the field quicker and look for an open receivers. Then if all are covered chuck the rock out of bounds or some place that would avoid grounding.
I want Dak's growth to come in the from of learning to better maneuver his WRs. To be able to lead them to the open spots with the pass and to hit them on the run so they aren't always reaching around and having to slow up to catch the ball. His completion % and yardage could have been quite a bit higher had he learned that last year. I like Dak, and he;s likely going to get paid, but paying him more than Russel Wilson would be criminal. You can't win with a QB earning 20% of your cap.

Top Bottom