Cowlishaw: 20 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Move the team to Florida? Because that's what it would have taken, I think.
He could have kept him around another year or two by driving dump trucks of money to his offseason house in Florida, and letting him have final say in personnel.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He could have kept him around another year or two by driving dump trucks of money to his offseason house in Florida, and letting him have final say in personnel.
That's nothing but speculation. None of us have any idea if that or anything else would have worked. Jerry was a douche, Jimmy wanted out. My guess is that nothing would have worked.

Frankly, the whole topic is boring. 20 years. For fuck's sake, let it go. (Not you, just saying in general)

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's nothing but speculation. None of us have any idea if that or anything else would have worked. Jerry was a douche, Jimmy wanted out. My guess is that nothing would have worked.
It's speculation that Jimmy wanted out right that second, too. The facts are, it was Jerry's drunken insults that were the final straw to the dissolution, not Jimmy approaching Jerry and saying "I can't take this any more one way or the other because I miss Florida too much." People are speculating that Jimmy would have eventually left without Jerry pushing, and I agree with it, but its speculation nonetheless.

I don't question that Jimmy eventually would have gotten out anyway, but I certainly do question whether it would have happened that offseason.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's speculation that Jimmy wanted out right that second, too.
Jimmy himself has said he was looking for a way out at that time. Now, of course he couldn't have without Jerry starting the ball rolling, as he was still under contract. But the fact is, he's said it himself in interviews about it. Jerry being an idiot just made it easier and a whole lot more lucrative.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jimmy himself has said he was looking for a way out at that time. Now, of course he couldn't have without Jerry starting the ball rolling, as he was still under contract. But the fact is, he's said it himself in interviews about it. Jerry being an idiot just made it easier and a whole lot more lucrative.
My point is, it's speculation to say that Jimmy would have forced himself out that particular offseason, absent Jerry giving him an opening.

No doubt Jimmy was looking for a way out (though to what extent that was being tired of Jerry versus simply being homesick for Florida is open to debate), but what I'm saying is speculation is any contention that it would have happened that offseason anyway.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
The fact that over six weeks had gone by since the Super Bowl and Johnson still hadn't looked at tapes of any players for the draft yet tells me he had one foot out the door.

You won't find but a few players to this day who are willing to say that they thought JJ/JJ would have lasted another 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. I don't think any amount of money or promises to not meddle would have kept Jimmy in town.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sure, Jimmy loves Florida, I get it.

But my point is that if you have a 2 time Super Bowl winning coach, you do things his way. You're the owner. STFU and sign checks and go sit in the fucking corner and let me win. That's what teh Jer should have been doing instead of running his fucking mouth and salivating over getting credit for building the team. His accomplishments in marketing the Cowboys and making the NFL in general a shit load of money just wasn't enough for this cocksucker. He had to be known as the personnel genius also. He wanted everyone to think he was pulling all the strings.

I think people have a point when they say Jimmy might not have wanted out so badly if teh Jer hadn't been a miserable egomaniac demanding personnel control and outright lying about his contributions to personnel. It wasn't that he was just hell bent on getting back to Florida.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Right, and if Jer is really about doing what it takes to win, and win super bowls, you placate Jimmy if you can.
Girls, drugs, trips to Florida....whatever it takes. Keep this thing rolling as long as possible. I assume that since
the next season AJ (After Jimmy) saw us in the title game and the following season after that saw us win the Super Bowl with number 499 of 500 possible coaches means that we still had an all star roster capable of winning 4 consecutive SB's. Of course, that is serious speculation, but look how close we came without Jimmy. I think he would have made all the difference.

data

Forbes #1
Not many people talk about this, but, why Barry Switzer?

Jerry could've hired a legitimate, respectable NFL coach that wouldn't have accelerated the decline. Sam Wyche, Joe Bugel or something.

Nope, let's hire the goofiest, media magnet personality out there.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Not many people talk about this, but, why Barry Switzer?

Jerry could've hired a legitimate, respectable NFL coach that wouldn't have accelerated the decline. Sam Wyche, Joe Bugel or something.

Nope, let's hire the goofiest, media magnet personality out there.
It was just a straight up FUCK YOU to Jimmy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My point is, it's speculation to say that Jimmy would have forced himself out that particular offseason, absent Jerry giving him an opening.

No doubt Jimmy was looking for a way out (though to what extent that was being tired of Jerry versus simply being homesick for Florida is open to debate), but what I'm saying is speculation is any contention that it would have happened that offseason anyway.
Johnson had already made his move with his plans and subsequent confrontation with Jones. The calculations were already made by him and he executed his plan. By doing so he left for Florida with a pocket full of money from his contract buyout and was exactly where he wanted to be. No amount of subsequent discussions or afterthought would be acceptable to either party. Johnson got what he wanted and Jones wasn't going to come crawling back to try to patch up the deal. The working relationship was over the cliff and that was that. Any thoughts that the relationship could go on 5 minutes more is completely unreasonable.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The fact that over six weeks had gone by since the Super Bowl and Johnson still hadn't looked at tapes of any players for the draft yet tells me he had one foot out the door.

You won't find but a few players to this day who are willing to say that they thought JJ/JJ would have lasted another 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. I don't think any amount of money or promises to not meddle would have kept Jimmy in town.
Maybe, but that's speculation to the same extent as saying that Jerry backing off would have been enough to keep him around.

Which is what I believe. Plenty of people say that "it wouldn't have lasted another 6 weeks" but that's because of what Jerry was doing. IMO it would have lasted longer if Jerry changed his behavior.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Johnson had already made his move with his plans and subsequent confrontation with Jones. The calculations were already made by him and he executed his plan. By doing so he left for Florida with a pocket full of money from his contract buyout and was exactly where he wanted to be. No amount of subsequent discussions or afterthought would be acceptable to either party. Johnson got what he wanted and Jones wasn't going to come crawling back to try to patch up the deal. The working relationship was over the cliff and that was that. Any thoughts that the relationship could go on 5 minutes more is completely unreasonable.
The reason Johnson wanted out, though, was because Jerry didn't give him what he wanted.

It wasn't simply a desire to go back to Florida.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Which is what I believe. Plenty of people say that "it wouldn't have lasted another 6 weeks" but that's because of what Jerry was doing. IMO it would have lasted longer if Jerry changed his behavior.
So, no truth to the remarks that Johnson has made regarding the fact he'd never been anywhere more than 5 years and he wanted out anyway?

Are you going Hostile on us?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
/popcorn

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, no truth to the remarks that Johnson has made regarding the fact he'd never been anywhere more than 5 years and he wanted out anyway?

Are you going Hostile on us?
I didn't say there was "no truth" to it, in fact I do believe Jimmy would have left sooner rather than later.

What I did say, however, was that it's just as speculative, however, to say that Jimmy still would have wanted out just as badly if Jerry had changed his behavior THAT SAME OFFSEASON.

What I believe is that if Jerry had done everything in his power to keep Jimmy, that would have kept Jimmy around for a little longer. That is speculation on my part, but it's no more unfounded than those who say Jimmy would have forced his way out "no matter what." Well, "no matter what" didn't happen, what happened was that Jerry all too gladly showed him the door.

So trying to guess what would have happened if Jerry had bent over backwards for him is just speculation as well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
~weaksauce~

Top Bottom