CowboysWire: Cowboys playing a risky game at back-up QB in 2019

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By: Ben Grimaldi | 2 hours ago

The argument Dallas Cowboys fans love to have this offseason is whether quarterback Dak Prescott is worth the mega-extension he’s sure to get from the team. While it hasn’t happened yet, the expectation is the deal will get done before the season begins and it will run north of $30 million annually.

No matter where you fall on the is-he-or-isn’t-he-worth-it debate, the Cowboys need Prescott. We all know about the long list of scrubs who were in Dallas in-between Troy Aikman and Tony Romo. Those were bleak years. Luckily, that is no longer the case, however, there is a concern with the QB position for the Cowboys.

After Prescott, the team doesn’t have a valid option at quarterback, so they need to make sure he stays healthy. The pieces are there for the team to make a legitimate run at the Super Bowl and one of the only things that can ruin their shot is an injury to Prescott. The Cowboys have depth all over the roster and have been aggressive in talent acquisition for the first time in years, but their back-up plan at quarterback leaves them open to disaster.

For all the base covering the organization did at every position of need: tight end, defensive end, defensive tackle, safety, wide receiver, back-up running back, the Cowboys blew off adding a viable passer behind Prescott. As it stands right now, the best quarterbacks in the organization behind Prescott are the head coach, the offensive coordinator and the QB coach. There is no indication Cooper Rush or Mike White would be able to win games if something happened to Prescott.

Before the youth movement a few years ago, Dallas liked to bring in a veteran QB to steady the ship. That is no longer the case, the Cowboys now employ inexperience and uncertainty behind the most important player on the roster. It’s a risky way to operate.

In fairness to the Cowboys, most teams are finished if their starting quarterback goes down for an extended number of games and Prescott has shown to be very durable in his first three years in the league. He’s big, strong and has shown an ability to play through the bumps and bruises; Prescott is as tough as they come.

The Cowboys also brought in some solid depth along the offensive line in hopes of negating some of the sacks Prescott suffered last year. Gone are the Chaz Green and Byron Bell types of back-up offensive linemen, in is third-round pick Connor McGovern, who allows the team to ensure they have the best starting five offensive line they can. With Travis Frederick coming back and Joe Looney proving to be a good interior swing option, the offensive line should be able to keep Prescott upright and out of harm’s way.

It’s a quarterback driven league and the Cowboys have a good one to help them win games. Everything is in place for Dallas to compete for a Super Bowl, everything except that pesky back-up quarterback spot. It’s a risk the Cowboys seem willing to take.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's backup QB. Anybody that's a decent backup will get a chance to start somewhere in the NFL. So your best best bet is to go with a young and unknown draft pick. Sort of like the Cowboys are.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's nothing short of GM malpractice to go with such a horrible backup like they did last year. If Dak gets hurt for even a few games, the entire season could be sunk. They got lucky last year and I can't believe they're going to do it again this year.

But like I've said before, Jason Jerry and Steve will have no problem using that as the excuse if it happens. Hey, it worked in 2015 with virtually no repercussions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's nothing short of GM malpractice to go with such a horrible backup like they did last year. If Dak gets hurt for even a few games, the entire season could be sunk. They got lucky last year and I can't believe they're going to do it again this year.

But like I've said before, Jason Jerry and Steve will have no problem using that as the excuse if it happens. Hey, it worked in 2015 with virtually no repercussions.
Who is this good QB who is going to win games in Dallas if our starter goes down? The Matt Cassel and Brad Johnsons of the world who started, sucked and became backups aren't worth a shit. Not worth time or money. The only backup that's stepped in and been good has been Dak. Aka a draft pick. I get wanting a good backup but most good backups are just draft picks who turn out good.

I mean you're not going to be winning games with Mike Glennon back there and you're not paying 11 mil to a guy like Fitzpatrick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Every NFL team should have a backup who understands and can execute the game plan.

There’s literally no fucking excuse for anything less.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Who is this good QB who is going to win games in Dallas if our starter goes down? The Matt Cassel and Brad Johnsons of the world who started, sucked and became backups aren't worth a shit. Not worth time or money. The only backup that's stepped in and been good has been Dak. Aka a draft pick. I get wanting a good backup but most good backups are just draft picks who turn out good.
Don't agree. For years there have been veteran backups you can win with.

And if our draft pick had shown promise, I would be with you. But Rush was horrendous in preseason last year. Looked like he didn't even belong in the league. That was inexcusable going with him last year. Of course they got away with it, but that doesn't excuse the thought process and lack of effort.

My suspicion is that Stephen felt burned by Orton and refuses to do it again. He seems to be like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't agree. For years there have been veteran backups you can win with.

And if our draft pick had shown promise, I would be with you. But Rush was horrendous in preseason last year. Looked like he didn't even belong in the league. That was inexcusable going with him last year. Of course they got away with it, but that doesn't excuse the thought process and lack of effort.

My suspicion is that Stephen felt burned by Orton and refuses to do it again. He seems to be like that.
Orton. Cassel. Mark Sanchez, Brad Johnson...

When is the last time a veteran backup worked in Dallas? Kitna? And even that wasn't great.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think that means you don't even try, though. Kitna did very well and I think Orton would have if he'd gotten more chances. Either one is light years better than Rush was last year. You run Rush out there and it's like forfeiting the game.

Side note, glad we have a former QB and QB coach to add his valuable judgement on such a critical position. Looks like he's done a great job so far.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Side note, glad we have a former QB and QB coach to add his valuable judgement on such a critical position. Looks like he's done a great job so far.
This is my hope for the backups. If Kitna is as good as advertised they both should be better than they were last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that means you don't even try, though. Kitna did very well and I think Orton would have if he'd gotten more chances. Either one is light years better than Rush was last year. You run Rush out there and it's like forfeiting the game.

How can you really judge Rush last year? He didn't really play. And if you're judging off preseason then I guess he was an exceptional backup as a rookie because he lit up preseason.

What I'm saying is that guys like Rush and White (Who I like better) are unknowns. So you can pick, take the guy who has already proven he sucks in the NFL but has some starts under his belt or go with the backup that you don't know how he will do with a first team unit in front of him. My preference is the unknown because that's how you find guys like Dak Prescott. The veteran failures guarantee you nothing but more failure.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
How can you really judge Rush last year? He didn't really play. And if you're judging off preseason then I guess he was an exceptional backup as a rookie because he lit up preseason.

What I'm saying is that guys like Rush and White (Who I like better) are unknowns. So you can pick, take the guy who has already proven he sucks in the NFL but has some starts under his belt or go with the backup that you don't know how he will do with a first team unit in front of him. My preference is the unknown because that's how you find guys like Dak Prescott. The veteran failures guarantee you nothing but more failure.
Rush lit it up 2 years ago, last year he sucked.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rush lit it up 2 years ago, last year he sucked.

I would never call preseason performance lighting up. Too many questions on competition as well as what opposing teams are focusing on.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is my hope for the backups. If Kitna is as good as advertised they both should be better than they were last year.
Actually that was my sarcastic comment about Garrett... :unsure

Top Bottom