Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

I didn't notice this thread before posting the one about Reed. I'd bring him in at this price. He's declined but at least he can still play center field.

Cotton

Staff member
I didn't notice this thread before posting the one about Reed. I'd bring him in at this price. He's declined but at least he can still play center field.
It should have it's own thread anyway.

D

Deuce

Michael Huff Among 16 Players Working Out For Cowboys
Posted 24 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Free agent safety Michael Huff is among 16 players scheduled to work out for the Cowboys.

The bye week is a typical time for teams to schedule workouts, particularly with the barrage of injuries that have hit the Cowboys on defense.

In addition, the Cowboys could use depth in the defensive backfield after allowing 625 total yards of offense against the Saints. The loss in New Orleans marked the second time in the last three weeks the Cowboys’ defense has surrendered at least 600 yards of total offense.

Huff, a former first-round pick in 2006 by the Raiders, played in Oakland through the 2012 season and registered 11 interceptions, including at least two in each of his final four seasons with the team. The Irving, Texas, native then signed with the Ravens in March 2013 and played in seven games before getting released last month.

In addition to Huff, the Cowboys also worked out defensive backs Jordan Pugh, Nick Saenz, George Baker, T.J. Heath and Brandon Hughes. Pugh and Hughes were both former draft picks.

The Cowboys also worked out linemen on both sides of the ball, including offensive linemen Chris DeGeare, Brandon Keith, Ryan Miller, Eric Olsen, Wayne Tribue and John Wetzel. The defensive linemen workouts included Logan Harrell, Corvey Irvin, Ogemdi Nwagbuo and Torell Troup.

Troup and Irvin were former second and third round selections, respectively, while DeGeare, Keith, Miller and Olsen were also former draft picks.
TRRROOOOOOOOUUUUUPPPP!!!

:towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is what happens when Matt Johnson is your master plan at Free Safety.

You end up scouring through the trash bin trying to find warm bodies who are willing to play for pennies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, I bet they call up Fat Wade and he says don't do it, he was questioning my coaching.

And they'd believe him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Michael Huff Among 16 Players Working Out For Cowboys
Posted 24 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Free agent safety Michael Huff is among 16 players scheduled to work out for the Cowboys.

The bye week is a typical time for teams to schedule workouts, particularly with the barrage of injuries that have hit the Cowboys on defense.

In addition, the Cowboys could use depth in the defensive backfield after allowing 625 total yards of offense against the Saints. The loss in New Orleans marked the second time in the last three weeks the Cowboys’ defense has surrendered at least 600 yards of total offense.

Huff, a former first-round pick in 2006 by the Raiders, played in Oakland through the 2012 season and registered 11 interceptions, including at least two in each of his final four seasons with the team. The Irving, Texas, native then signed with the Ravens in March 2013 and played in seven games before getting released last month.

In addition to Huff, the Cowboys also worked out defensive backs Jordan Pugh, Nick Saenz, George Baker, T.J. Heath and Brandon Hughes. Pugh and Hughes were both former draft picks.

The Cowboys also worked out linemen on both sides of the ball, including offensive linemen Chris DeGeare, Brandon Keith, Ryan Miller, Eric Olsen, Wayne Tribue and John Wetzel. The defensive linemen workouts included Logan Harrell, Corvey Irvin, Ogemdi Nwagbuo and Torell Troup.

Troup and Irvin were former second and third round selections, respectively, while DeGeare, Keith, Miller and Olsen were also former draft picks.
We should have been doing cattle calls like this every Tuesday since the beginning of the year. To my knowledge, this is the only big one we've done. The rest of the workouts were specific reactionary workouts for the DL injuries and a punter once.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Have ‘No Interest’ In Future HOF Safety Ed Reed

Mike Fisher for 105.3 The Fan | CBSDFW.com

November 12, 2013 1:22 PM

IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – The Dallas Cowboys recognize they have issues at safety and they are respectful of the Hall-of-Fame-level body of work of Ed Reed. But a team source tells me that Dallas has “no interest’’ in pursuing the just-released Texas safety.

Reed spent his first 11 NFL seasons with the Ravens before this year signing a three-year, $15 million contract with Houston. He missed the first two games with the Texans, recorded 16 tackles, no interceptions and no passes defensed in seven games while losing his starting position.

At 35, he’s now on waivers, where a team claiming him would have to pick up the remainder of his salary. Dallas will not place a claim and even after Reed clears waivers, has no plans to pursue him.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys worked out almost 20 “street free agents’’ at Valley Ranch on Tuesday (customary for a team in its bye week). Among them was another veteran safety, Michael Huff, an Irving native and University of Texas product. But even as the Cowboys’ safeties have struggled in recent weeks, team sources indicate Huff did not seem to provide solutions in his workout.

------------

This is the first mass workout we have had this year. Other teams have had big groups in each and every Tuesday.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
According to Eatman, Dallas is not going to sign Huff. Probably because they're in such fantastic shape at the S position. :unsure

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's ridiculous; we should at least be signing Huff right now. We are desperate at this point. We should be signing Huff, Reed, and Spears too. We have worse than scrubs out there. At least these guys are vets that know where they should be. And in Reed's case might have some leadership to provide, too.

(plus I'd love it if we signed him and he called our staff out for being out coached.)

Cotton

Staff member
It's ridiculous; we should at least be signing Huff right now. We are desperate at this point. We should be signing Huff, Reed, and Spears too. We have worse than scrubs out there. At least these guys are vets that know where they should be. And in Reed's case might have some leadership to provide, too.

(plus I'd love it if we signed him and he called our staff out for being out coached.)
We don't have the money to sign all 3. Thank you, goof son.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We don't have the money to sign all 3. Thank you, goof son.
Money almost has to be the issue. Although why bring in a guy like Huff for a look if you can't pay him? I know he isn't a great S but he's not better than Jeff Heath? Or JJ Wilcox right now, for that matter?

Cotton

Staff member
Money almost has to be the issue. Although why bring in a guy like Huff for a look if you can't pay him? I know he isn't a great S but he's not better than Jeff Heath? Or JJ Wilcox right now, for that matter?
We currently have a little over 2 mill in cap space. Money is definitely an issue, for sure.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We only have 6 games left. I'm assuming they would be vet minimum salaries pro rated over 6 games. I'd think we'd be able to fit that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We only have 6 games left. I'm assuming they would be vet minimum salaries pro rated over 6 games. I'd think we'd be able to fit that.
Wouldn't the Cowboys be responsible for the remaining 411K of Reeds salary?

Top Bottom