Cowboys work out/sign Marvin Austin

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
If I were Selvie that is the way I'd look at it. Dude is 26 years old and was on the street a couple of months ago. He is having a career year in this defensive scheme under Marinelli. I'd try to stay with Marinelli and have a productive career as opposed to signing with another team, that runs a different scheme, and could potentially fall back into obscurity. Odds are if he leaves Dallas and goes to somewhere like Jacksonville he will never repeat the production he had here.
I think thats exactly what happens. He cant leave money on the table because of what he suffered previously

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why not?

You keep claiming this D-line is a weakness yet we are tied for #7 in sacks and are 17th against the run and just shut down the lading rusher in the NFL.

That's not weak its slightly above average.
17th against the run is pretty glaring. Yes, we are 7th in sacks, but it's been inconsistent.

I'd say it's about average. Which is still getting these guys to play way above their heads.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Thing is you don't pay age. He might have less tread worn off due to the time he played earlier in his career, but he's already in the stage where we are holding him out of practices.

We just need to be prepared to give him a reasonable and affordable offer, and if he wants more, thanks for the memories.
Yep.

You can't give everyone big money.

Also.... Hatcher is having a great year, but the guy is 30 and this is a first. Maybe a late bloomer and all, yeah, but how many of these seasons does he have in him?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I were Selvie that is the way I'd look at it. Dude is 26 years old and was on the street a couple of months ago. He is having a career year in this defensive scheme under Marinelli. I'd try to stay with Marinelli and have a productive career as opposed to signing with another team, that runs a different scheme, and could potentially fall back into obscurity. Odds are if he leaves Dallas and goes to somewhere like Jacksonville he will never repeat the production he had here.
Or he might look at it like, hey, I hit the lottery, I need to cash in while the getting is good. Same thing as Laurent Robinson.

I think it's the Cowboys fan in us that wants him to say "This is where I can have the best career." But when someone offers him 30 mil, he'll be gone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why not?

You keep claiming this D-line is a weakness yet we are tied for #7 in sacks and are 17th against the run and just shut down the lading rusher in the NFL.

That's not weak its slightly above average.
Marinelli is the best hire in forever. He's working miracles with total spares.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Marinelli is the best hire in forever. He's working miracles with total spares.
We are all so in awe because we have had crap for DL coaches since forever. Kacey Rodgers, Brian Baker, Todd Grantham, Paul Pasqualoni.

Not that I am saying great DL coaches grow on trees because they don't. It's pretty rare you can see a coach who can make chicken salad from chicken shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or he might look at it like, hey, I hit the lottery, I need to cash in while the getting is good. Same thing as Laurent Robinson.

I think it's the Cowboys fan in us that wants him to say "This is where I can have the best career." But when someone offers him 30 mil, he'll be gone.
I would think a club could look at Selvie's career and hold off on the big money. Of course, that was the issue with Robinson too and that didn't stop Jacksonville.

All in all, I think he might get a deal just enough to push our cap constraints to the limit, especially at the wrong time. It will be June 1st before the wiggle room necessary to sign guys will be in full effect and players aren't going to wait around that long. That's the problem with the salary cap issue we have...it is not getting the money...it is having it when it is needed the most.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You have to be smart on the defensive line. If Marinelli can coach people up the why throw big money at anyone who isn't special? I love what Selvie's done here but you want him back at a certain number and if he can get more elsewhere then we move on. Same with Hatcher. We'd be infinitely better off drafting a couple guys and signing under the radar cheaper players at the position then breaking the bank for these type of guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The way contracts are in the NFL though you'll make a lot more money if you can hang on as a starting player for 4-5 years as opposed to playing one and being cut.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, I'd have a number in mind and stick to it, I'd love Hatcher and Selvie back but Marinelli has shown what he can do with castoffs and I'd use that money elsewhere, while of course drafting guys.

I'd go up to 5 per year for Hatcher, maybe 6 if it's only a 3 year deal, for Selvie I'd go up to 3 per year but nothing more than 4 years at the most.

If we let these guys walk just go out and sign Melton to a deal around 5 a year, get Crawford and Bass back healthy, draft at least 2 DL and roll with some combo of Ware/Crawford/Wilber/Rayford at DE and Melton/Hayden/Bass/Nevis/Austin at DT with some combination of draft picks and UDFA's mixed in.

Trent Murphy and Stephon Tuitt are two guys I'm liking with our first rounder right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Full Scouting Report On DT Marvin Austin

Posted 5 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

The Scout’s Eye takes a look at Marvin Austin, who signed with the Cowboys Tuesday.

Games Studied: New York Giants 2013 vs. Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, New York Jets

•Was a defensive tackle in a four-man line. Played as both the one and three technique. Looks better suited to play the one size wise.

•Big bodied player. Has some initial pop and power with his hands. When he wants to fire off the ball, he can get some push but there are times where he is tick late off the ball, which puts him behind the play. Like to see him play with more initial quickness.

•Can be a Hot & Cold player. Times where he makes a play or two then gone for the next four. More motivated after he has a successful play.

•When he is on, will chase the ball, work down the line and get in on the tackle. Will make an effort to find the ball. When he is off, you would never know he is on the field.

•Has the power and strength to fight double teams but just need to see it more often. Saw one time where he was outstanding defending a back block, playing it with his hands, then the next time, he was just got washed out of the play. Needs to be more consistent using his power. Can be a tough player to handle one-on-one when he is on the move. Actually some of his better work when he can play this way.

•Will need some work when he gets here on how to execute the twist stunt. Needs to come tighter in his path, much too wide. Needs to play with better quickness when he does this. Will never get home on a rush playing this way.

•Not many pass rush moves. Did see one arm over move vs. the Colts, mainly relies on just upper body power to get push.

•Showed some awareness to play the screen. Was able to read the scheme, then work towards the ball.

My overall take is that Austin is an interesting player when he wants to play because you do see the ability, but you also do not see it every snap which bothers me. Has a great deal of boom or bust to his game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So he needs to have a spark lit under him. Well, Marinelli, do your thing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So he needs to have a spark lit under him. Well, Marinelli, do your thing.
Marinelli has supposedly read him the rules...don't eff with my rushmen and fit in. We'll see.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Thing is you don't pay age. He might have less tread worn off due to the time he played earlier in his career, but he's already in the stage where we are holding him out of practices.

We just need to be prepared to give him a reasonable and affordable offer, and if he wants more, thanks for the memories.
So true, and frankly only a poorly managed NFL team would offer more. At this juncture I think Hatcher would take a reasonable offer to remain in Dallas.

Top Bottom