Cowboys Want To Keep Richard; Jets Reportedly Add Him To Interview List

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could respect that move. Richard with some veteran assistants could be a pretty good coach here.
Yeah I mean my only concern would be how he would fill out the offensive staff. Of course we have an offensive head coach and he doesn't even have a clue how to do that now.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Fire Rod Marinelli, promote Richard to DC/Asst HC and give him the wink/wink that he's the HC in waiting. All while writing a big fat check, Jer.

Or, if we get bounced in the first round, send Garrett packing and interview him for HC.
Works for me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gosh I really hope not. Of course the fact that we all want to keep him probably tells you he is a pretty damn good coach which is why teams want to interview him to be head coach. Hopefully Jerry can pull a rabbit out of his ass and find a way to keep him though. Especially since Garrett is either getting an extension after these playoffs or walking the plank.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We get blown out by Seattle, Richard gets the HC job here.
I don't want to get blown out in any way. But I also value Richard more as a coach than I do Garrett. It would really suck to lose a really good young coach to cling to Garrett instead. Sort of like losing Sean Payton as an assistant only to have a string of shitty head coaches since.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lets see how Jerry reacts to the potential loss of a strong head coach prospect vs one who was won 1 single playoff game in 8 years.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't want to lose Richard but if Dallas wins, it almost guarantees Garrett is back unless someone snaps their fingers in front of Jerral's eyes and gets that vision of star studded carrots out from in front of them. If Dallas crashes and burns against Seattle, which they shouldn't, maybe.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Assistant HC is the only realistic option. Garrett isn’t going anywhere.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assistant HC is the only realistic option. Garrett isn’t going anywhere.
The sad thing is winning or losing this next game shouldn't really have any impact on firing or keeping Garrett. It's one game. You've got a decade of history to go off of. It's silly to determine the future based on one game. In my opinion Garrett should be fired regardless of if we win or lose because Richard is the better coach. But you're probably right, Garrett probably stays no matter what. Which is why it would be silly to root for a Dallas loss in hope that it will somehow sway ownership to fire Garrett.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The sad thing is winning or losing this next game shouldn't really have any impact on firing or keeping Garrett. It's one game. You've got a decade of history to go off of. It's silly to determine the future based on one game. In my opinion Garrett should be fired regardless of if we win or lose because Richard is the better coach. But you're probably right, Garrett probably stays no matter what. Which is why it would be silly to root for a Dallas loss in hope that it will somehow sway ownership to fire Garrett.
It's not silly. It may not be for you but if the only hope you have of getting rid of him is a loss then that's what you do. Otherwise you are contradicting your belief.

His firing may even be a small chance but if so thats what I'm rooting for. It may have even taken a hit when Riley signed the extension (if the rumors of Cowboys liking him are true) and the sheer amount of HC vacancies. I just hope that Jerry loves Richard enough.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No matter how good he may be, Richard has been here one year. No chance Jerry favors someone he doesn't know very well over someone in the decades-long family portrait like Garrett.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not silly. It may not be for you but if the only hope you have of getting rid of him is a loss then that's what you do. Otherwise you are contradicting your belief.

His firing may even be a small chance but if so thats what I'm rooting for. It may have even taken a hit when Riley signed the extension (if the rumors of Cowboys liking him are true) and the sheer amount of HC vacancies. I just hope that Jerry loves Richard enough.
If you're rooting for things with slim chances root for the Superbowl not the loss.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If you're rooting for things with slim chances root for the Superbowl not the loss.
That wouldnt be slim chance. That would be the impossible chance.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Richard's impact is a bit overblown honestly. He's certainly helped improve the secondary play (although there was a lot of pre-existing talent there to begin with) but overall our defense was very good last year when Lee was in the lineup and I feel like the biggest reason for the improvement this year is the emergence of Smith/LVE.

We basically have 2 Lee-caliber LB's as opposed to 1 and they stay on the field. That more than anything is why the defense has taken a jump.

I realize that Richard calls the plays and is basically a co-DC with Marinelli but the play/scheme design doesn't seem that different as far as the front 7 goes. We might blitz slightly more but I don't look at it as a complete scheme overhaul by any means.

The number one thing I give him credit for is moving Jones to CB and the development of Woods. Other than that Heath/Brown are pretty much the same player they have been and Awuzie has developed as I'd expect a highly touted 2nd round CB to develop after missing a good amount of time as a rookie.

Top Bottom