Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seems like this is the QB Garrett wanted...so that is a good thing. Also, sounds like it will be an open competition too...which is good. All the QBs rumored here were roundly pooped on. It is a no-brainer to get the QB the coach wants IMO...particularly at such a low cost.
He handpicked Brad Johnson. What he wants does not hold a lot of water.

Read some other positive comments on Cassell that make me feel better than Garrett’s endorsement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, like I said yesterday if they brought him in as a potential replacement for Weeden I have no issues with the trade at all.
He is a free agent after this year. So the trade doesn't really impact that one way or the other. We could have signed him after this season. The Bills weren't keeping him around.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He is a free agent after this year. So the trade doesn't really impact that one way or the other. We could have signed him after this season. The Bills weren't keeping him around.
Trying to follow your logic here...is Romo injured in this hypothetical scenario?

Carp

DCC 4Life
He handpicked Brad Johnson. What he wants does not hold a lot of water.

Read some other positive comments on Cassell that make me feel better than Garrett’s endorsement.
Seemed like people in the past complaining that our coaches had no away in personnel decisions...now Garrett gets what he wants and it is an issue. He earned my trust last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to follow your logic here...is Romo injured in this hypothetical scenario?
I guess I thought that Iamtdg was referring to him as a replacement as Romo's backup long term. This is a one year deal. After this season Cassel can go where ever he wants.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess I thought that Iamtdg was referring to him as a replacement as Romo's backup long term. This is a one year deal. After this season Cassel can go where ever he wants.
Nope, just talking about this year. If they spent a 5th on a rental backup for this year, I'm not happy. If they think he is good enough to possibly take over for Weeden while Romo is hurt then I think the trade is worth it. That has been my argument all along.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nope, just talking about this year. If they spent a 5th on a rental backup for this year, I'm not happy. If they think he is good enough to possibly take over for Weeden while Romo is hurt then I think the trade is worth it. That has been my argument all along.
I don't think Cassell was acquired to replace Weeden. I think he was simply acquired for need. Could this change? Yes circumstances could create a different situation but if Weeden holds his own during the period Romo is out I do think Cassell will see the playing field.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not so sure, doesn't Cassel also come in to compete with Weeden?
My recollection of that Whitehurst trade was that it was done with the team thinking he may develop into something. He was either a backup or a developmental starter, so that made sense for them to pay higher.

This is a short term emergency rental.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bernie Kosar?
IMO he was a disaster outside of one play in the NFC Championship game. Belichick nailed it when he said Kosar had "diminished skills".

Cowboys played Atlanta without Troy, Emmitt gets hurt early and Dallas gets pummeled with Kosar dinking and dunking in the face of a pass rush all day. I couldn't wait to never see him again only to have Troy go down again in the Championship game no less.

Kosar's deep shot to Harper helped out away that game, but I was on pins and needles the whole time. It was nothing like having Beuerlein who we could actually rely one.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
IMO he was a disaster outside of one play in the NFC Championship game. Belichick nailed it when he said Kosar had "diminished skills".

Cowboys played Atlanta without Troy, Emmitt gets hurt early and Dallas gets pummeled with Kosar dinking and dunking in the face of a pass rush all day. I couldn't wait to never see him again only to have Troy go down again in the Championship game no less.

Kosar's deep shot to Harper helped out away that game, but I was on pins and needles the whole time. It was nothing like having Beuerlein who we could actually rely one.
As you pointed out, Emmitt was hurt in the Atlanta game, so Kosar might have been OK if he'd had that running game to lean on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As you pointed out, Emmitt was hurt in the Atlanta game, so Kosar might have been OK if he'd had that running game to lean on.
Agreed Emmitt being out was huge, but Bernie added no ability to pressure the defense on his own. He just looked slow, harried, and a bit pathetic with that awkward stance and release.

Still as Schmitty pointed out he was the closest thing we've had to a successful midseason QB insertion via trade, and IMO he really wasn't that successful.

Doesn't bode well for Cassel.

I think his biggest contribution might be to put (positive) competitive pressure on Weeden. Kosar put no pressure on Aikman. At all, and the very thought would have been treated as a joke. Not because Troy was untouchable, but because Bernie was that average.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Matt Cassel knows what Brandon Weeden is about to go through

2h

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- On the 16th snap of the New England Patriots' season in 2008, Matt Cassel took over for an injured Tom Brady.

The Dallas Cowboys' newest quarterback knows exactly what the Cowboys’ newest starting quarterback, Brandon Weeden, is feeling as he gets ready to take over for an injured Tony Romo.

Cassel went 10-5 as the Patriots’ starter, but New England’s 11-5 record was not good enough to make the playoffs. The Cowboys hope Weeden can function as well as Cassel, who had 22 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions in 2008, did for Brady.

“I think you just got to keep your focus on the task at hand,” Cassel said. “Obviously Brandon is a very talented quarterback and you’ve seen him play last week and he did a great job and he throws a tremendous ball and now for him it’s just going out and playing. We’ve got all the tools around him. We’ve got a great offensive line, obviously the skill players and everything else. If you can just maintain your focus and focus on the task at hand instead of listening to everything else going on in the outside, I think he’ll play great.”

Cassel took part in his first practice with the Cowboys on Thursday. His early-morning flight out of Buffalo was delayed two hours and prevented him from getting to practice on Wednesday. He was at Valley Ranch into the evening with the coaches and will spend more time at the complex as he attempts to learn the system quickly.

“Right now, I’m just coming in trying to learn a new playbook,” Cassel said. “There’s a lot to get done obviously. It was explained to me that Brandon is the starter, and I’m going to support him in any way I can, help the team in any capacity they want me to. At the same time, I’m going to try to learn the playbook and see how far I can move along and how quickly I can move along [so] if an opportunity does come up, I’m ready to play.”

Cassel spent the first two weeks of the season as the Bills’ backup quarterback. He played only four series in the preseason. He has some familiarity with the Cowboys’ scheme having played for Norv Turner last year with the Minnesota Vikings.

“Sometimes it’s about wiping your head and start with a clean slate of all those old terminologies,” Cassel said, “because words carry over and also protections carry over and at the same time what you have to do is just kind of go in there and learn it all from square one and understand what they’re trying to get done.”

Cassel’s father, Greg, who died in 2008, grew up a Cowboys fan in Lubbock, Texas. His brothers and sister sent him text messages after the trade became official that said, “he’s looking down on me with a smile on his face and I know he would be.”

“It’s great to be wanted,” Cassel said. “It’s been a childhood dream of mine to be a Cowboy honestly … I grew up a Dallas Cowboy fan all my life. So to actually have it come true finally and actually be here is a dream come true, and I’m really excited about it.”

The next step is getting his family to Dallas. His wife, Lauren, is 36 weeks pregnant with the couple’s fourth child. He has two daughters (Quinn, Ella) and a son (Matthew Jr.).

“She’s a trooper,” Cassel said. “So the two oldest are girls so they kind of understand what was going on and as soon as I said, ‘They’ve got cheerleaders,’ they were super excited about it.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nice formatting, Booze. :unsure

Top Bottom