One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys agree with Brandon Weeden
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have agreed with former Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on a two-year deal, a source told ESPN.com.

Weeden visited with the coaches at Valley Ranch on Monday and will be the third quarterback under contract behind Tony Romo and Kyle Orton.

The Cowboys have not carried a third quarterback on the roster since 2011, when they had Stephen McGee behind Romo and Jon Kitna, but would appear committed that way early in the 2014 offseason.

A first-round pick of the Browns in 2012, Weeden posted a 5-15 record before his release last week. He completed 438 of 784 passes for 5,116 yards with 23 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. He nearly beat the Cowboys in 2012, throwing a go-ahead touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter only to see Romo direct a game-tying drive at the end of regulation and the winning drive in overtime.

Since coach Jason Garrett arrived in 2007, the Cowboys have carried veteran backup quarterbacks with Brad Johnson, Kitna and Orton. Weeden, 30, does not have the same experience, but joining the Cowboys would give him a chance to rebuild a career that took a big hit with the Browns.

Orton is signed through 2014 as part of a deal he signed in 2012.

The Cowboys believe Orton will continue to play in part because of a $3.25 million base salary and the fact that he would have to repay the team $3 million of a $5 million signing bonus should he decide to retire.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

We got our big name free agent. A young QB who happens to be just as old as our backup who wants to retire.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That'll fix things. :unsure

One of the worst starting QBs in the league... great.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Awesome

Cotton

Staff member
I can't wait to see the numbers.

Cotton

Staff member
According to Rapoport it's for the minimum.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Boo

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hate this move simply because I don't think this awful player warrants a spot on our roster.

It's a waste.

Newt

DCC 4Life
If that's the case this won't be so bad. I veteran arm for camp and possible number 2 if for some reason Orton walks or gets cut. I doubt Weeden outplays Orton though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that's the case I'm fine with it. He has a big time arm and we will need that for camp while Romo nurses his back. We can always cut him with basically no problems. Plus if Orton really does retire we have someone with starting experience to backup. I don't hate Weeden as much as some people but the fact of the matter is he is old. There is no reason to develop a QB who is already in his 30s. I'm sure part of his looking bad was that he played for the Browns. While at the same time it is pretty obvious that the Browns have some talent on offense and a QB should be able to succeed there.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If it's for the minimum, it's a BFD signing. He might not even make the team. Cheap insurance for if Orton decides to retire. If he has to play any significant time, we're not winning anything, anyway. In fact, even if he doesn't play a snap, and Romo plays all year, we're not winning anything, anyway.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If it's for the minimum, it's a BFD signing. He might not even make the team. Cheap insurance for if Orton decides to retire. If he has to play any significant time, we're not winning anything, anyway. In fact, even if he doesn't play a snap, and Romo plays all year, we're not winning anything, anyway.
Yep. I agree on all points. Could be another Will Allen type of deal.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Tony D

DCC 4Life
If Orton stays Weeden probably doesn't make the team. This better not make us not draft a developmental QB.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That's how I feel about it. Have to have something in place in case Orton decides to retire. For practically no money this isn't a bad move.

dallen

Senior Tech
For the minimum, it is probably a pretty smart deal. Unless we are ready to tell Orton to hit the road, you are not going to get a good QB to come here as a 3rd string QB. At least Weeden has a little bit of experience so if Orton decides to retire at the last minute we aren't running some UDFA or Vince Young out there. If we find a decent young arm in camp and Orton still wants to play, then we can just cut him

Top Bottom