Cowboys sign Michael Sam to practice squad

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Leave it to Jerry to find a way to make our defense suck even more.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Does he get a discount at the stadium's Victoria's Secret store?

p1_

DCC 4Life
The circus atmosphere this creates screams Jerry getting his publicity back on after having the air let out of his Manziel boner by young Stephen. Jerry's fucked up mind sees this as a marketing stroke, so to speak.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What changed with Sam since draft day?
September, 3, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Cowboys had limited thoughts about drafting Michael Sam in May.

The team tried desperately to get a pass-rusher or immediate impact defensive player in the first round but the options were not there when it came time for the Cowboys to pick. So they selected guard/tackle Zack Martin from Notre Dame to protect quarterback Tony Romo.

They selected pass-rushers DeMarcus Lawrence in the second round and Ben Gardner in the seventh. Sam was on the board each time the Cowboys selected.

After the draft, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones described Sam as a player categorized somewhere between defensive end and outside linebacker. Jones said that was a dilemma for the team.

“It’s obvious that guy can be an outside linebacker and can go inside and put his hand down again," Jones said. "But he was that tweener, and we felt like we had gone up and drafted -- and paid a high price to go up and draft -- DeMarcus Lawrence because we felt like he was the closest thing to having a better chance of putting his hand down at that time.”

Jones said he wasn’t surprised Sam was drafted in the seventh round because he expected him to be selected much higher.

"… I don’t know what’s going on in other draft rooms involving him, I don’t," Jones said. "All I know is we spent the same amount of time on him that you would normally spend as a valuable defensive player in the SEC, we really did. He just didn’t fit for us."

So, the question is, what changed the team’s mind since that May weekend?

Well, it's actually pretty simple. Lawrence (broken foot) was placed on reserve/injured returnable list and Gardner is out for the season after shoulder surgery. And the team has no significant depth to aid the pass rush.

So, now Jones and the Cowboys are hoping Sam will learn defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s system while on the team’s practice squad and develop into a pass-rusher that can help them in the future. But they won't be upset if his development happens sooner than expected.

Cotton

Staff member

I don't think I've ever heard of a press conference being held to announce the signing of a player to a practice squad before.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Exactly. But this is business as usual for the Cowboys. The other 31 organizations probably sign him then go about their business...no press conference.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

I don't think I've ever heard of a press conference being held to announce the signing of a player to a practice squad before.
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 15s
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett will address the Michael Sam signing at his 10:35 am press conference

They scheduled one just for this signing, too?

Cotton

Staff member
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 15s
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett will address the Michael Sam signing at his 10:35 am press conference

They scheduled one just for this signing, too?
Looks like Schefter's tweet was misleading. This PC was already scheduled. Garrett is just expected to address the Sam signing during it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What's changed is Sam has actually been productive in preseason unlike just about any any Cowboys defender.

p1_

DCC 4Life

See what I mean? Jerry is relevant again, fucking idiot.

Field a quality team you jackass! Then you can gloat and mug for the camera.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Exactly. But this is business as usual for the Cowboys. The other 31 organizations probably sign him then go about their business...no press conference.
I doubt it...socially this is a big deal. Hell, think of all the interviews the Rams had to do for drafting him...and he was a 7th rounder.

Cotton

Staff member

Good for Garrett.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I doubt it...socially this is a big deal. Hell, think of all the interviews the Rams had to do for drafting him...and he was a 7th rounder.
Right. But, you know... Jerry.

~lighting torch~

Top Bottom