Cowboys Salary Cap mis-management wasting Dak Prescott's contract

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sure, they don't know how to effectively utilize free agency/trades in a shrewd manner, that's more or less what I said.
No, you're not understanding me.

I'm saying that failing to fill holes on the roster isn't necessarily due to their inability to go after someone due to their limited cap space or pull off a smart trade -- It has to do with them not recognizing problems on the roster.

Do you really think that we've gone 10 years without a playmaker at the position because Stephen Jones couldn't figure out a way to circumvent the cap for a player they really liked?

Yes, they've been cheap, but we've also seen them be willing to spend if they really liked a guy and felt they needed him. In 2011, they felt CB was a need and despite the fact that we were cap-strapped, they still tried like hell to sign Nnamdi Asomugha and he wasn't going to come cheap.

So even if Stephen Jones turned into a master negotiator and capologist, they will still experience the same problems with the roster because they aren't savvy enough football men to know what it properly takes to build a successful NFL roster.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I'm saying that failing to fill holes on the roster isn't necessarily due to their inability to go after someone due to their limited cap space or pull off a smart trade -- It has to do with them not recognizing problems on the roster.

Do you really think that we've gone 10 years without a playmaker at the position because Stephen Jones couldn't figure out a way to circumvent the cap for a player they really liked?

Yes, they've been cheap, but we've also seen them be willing to spend if they really liked a guy and felt they needed him. In 2011, they felt CB was a need and despite the fact that we were cap-strapped, they still tried like hell to sign Nnamdi Asomugha and he wasn't going to come cheap.

So even if Stephen Jones turned into a master negotiator and capologist, they will still experience the same problems with the roster because they aren't savvy enough football men to know what it properly takes to build a successful NFL roster.
I see, yea, Jerry has always been pie in the sky and I think Stephen's tendency to view free agency as an inefficient way to acquire talent exaggerates that tendency to overrate young players internally.

The fact that they went so hard after Watkins for no good reason is a pretty good indicator that they don't know what they're looking at.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The biggest problem in my opinion is that they over value their own guys and under value free agents. The cap isn't the issue, the problem is they get sticker shock in free agency and fall so in love with there own guys that they would hate to push one of them out for a free agent addition.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I will enjoy the winning in the playoffs.

One day.

Soon.

Top Bottom