Cowboys Release Dan Bailey

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is more about the fact that the Cowboys lost faith in Bailey. And yes you shouldn't pay that money for a kicker unless he is nailing 90% of his kicks or better.
That appears to be the bottom line based on what is known at this time. Dallas still has time to find a kicker if need be.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That appears to be the bottom line based on what is known at this time. Dallas still has time to find a kicker if need be.
Just like we did midseason when needed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just like we did midseason when needed.
It's easy to find an average kicker. It's a feat to find a good one.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This is more about the fact that the Cowboys lost faith in Bailey. And yes you shouldn't pay that money for a kicker unless he is nailing 90% of his kicks or better.
Then tell him his job is on the line and let him win it back in pre-season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
and what if they did precisely that?
I think there would have been reports of that and Archer even said he heard none of that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He’s been the kicker how many years?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think there would have been reports of that and Archer even said he heard none of that.
You can’t assume writers are privy to all conversation between player and coaches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
um, he might have won the job, which you can't do from the bench
I think you can evaluate a kicker well at camp. I think they were trying to get the new guy live kicking snaps since he has done minimal at the NFL level.

Rev

Staff member
You can’t assume writers are privy to all conversation between player and coaches.
Little stuff sure. Something this big is a little too hard to believe.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think everyone made the assumption that Bailey was a no brainer, even in light of last years struggles and steady decline. Hence the shock and awe.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Are we strapped for cap cash, that this is merely about dollars? Not last time I looked, which has been a while I admit.
It’s not about money, people just want a narrative to target their anger at.

I was shocked and I’m not sure I agree with the move but you can bet they at least have a rational reason for it.

Rev

Staff member
Bailey to work out with the Jets tomorrow.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would not make that bet.
I would. I realize it's a popular thing to claim our FO is completely inept, but like it or not, I think this was a sound football decision. I liked Money just as much as anybody, but the fact that his accuracy has fallen drastically the last couple seasons to go along with back and groin issues is a major red flag.

People say that this team is never proactive, only reactive. That they won't address a problem until it blows up in their face. So which is it? Did they address a potential problem before it bit them in the ass or didn't they? People might not like the guy they replaced him with, but truthfully, none of us know if this guy will be a good replacement or not. And he might not be the long term plan. Maybe Bailey was supposed to be the guy, but they realized during camp that he was worse than they thought. And by that time, it was too late to bring in anybody else. Who knows? Just a guess.

Kickers are a funny lot. They can go to complete shit overnight. And trying to claim pedigree for them is a futile exercise. Good kickers that are UDFA appear more than guys that have the so-called pedigree. Look at Roberto Aguayo, drafted in the 2nd round. Ouch. Or Mike Nugent before him, also taken in the 2nd. While Nugent has had a long career, it would certainly classify as a mediocre one. At last count he was putting on his 8th different team's uniform. He certainly didn't live up to his hype and draft slot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Good deal. He's probably not completely done yet, but it seems that distance is an issue going forward. I have a reason to watch Jets games now.

Top Bottom