Cowboys' mysterious NFL draft consigliere Will McClay builds savvy reputation

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There shouldn't be much of an excuse this year. And if you look at the pre-draft visitors this year, it seems we have a grip on that.

Jerry Jones dropped the ball on that one. Sorry, I don't hold the scouting director responsible to ensure that both staffs get their heads together. That responsibility comes from the general manager.
I don't there is any debating that. It's kinda the GM's job.

data

Forbes #1
Can we get a kristy pre-draft video

~sips ice tea, adjusts glasses and eyewink~

Cotton

Staff member
Don't even try it. You are the one always fapping to her in gameday. Or at least trying to get everyone else to fap to her.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My alltime favorite slam on Kristie was in comparing her videos to Cloverfield, but you see the monster at the start of the movie instead. On par with my "Hello, this is dog" jam.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't there is any debating that. It's kinda the GM's job.
There is no question the GM should take blame for that. However, I'm not going to exempt the scouting director from having no idea what the hell he is doing either. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that we changed defenses and thus should be evaluating talent differently for the scheme. Jerry fell asleep at the wheel on that one but so did the scouting director.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Why have we concluded that Floyd wasn't a good pick? Sure, we made out with Frederick and Wiliams (we still got beat on the trade) but their assessment or idea that Floyd is a true Nose or 0-tech seems wrong to me and he was drafted by a 4-3 team. He's still pretty young and nothing from last year makes me think he is a bust.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why have we concluded that Floyd wasn't a good pick? Sure, we made out with Frederick and Wiliams (we still got beat on the trade) but their assessment or idea that Floyd is a true Nose or 0-tech seems wrong to me and he was drafted by a 4-3 team. He's still pretty young and nothing from last year makes me think he is a bust.
Probably has something to do with the fact that he only started 1 game as a rookie. It's early though, it can take a DT a year or two to develop.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is no question the GM should take blame for that. However, I'm not going to exempt the scouting director from having no idea what the hell he is doing either. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that we changed defenses and thus should be evaluating talent differently for the scheme. Jerry fell asleep at the wheel on that one but so did the scouting director.
Wait, so if the manager doesn't do his job, what in essence is a supervisor is supposed to swoop in and make it all right?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, so if the manager doesn't do his job, what in essence is a supervisor is supposed to swoop in and make it all right?
You shouldn't need a supervisor to make sure that the employees don't shit their pants. Of course if they do you expect your supervisor to do something about it.

Cotton

Staff member
You shouldn't need a supervisor to make sure that the employees don't shit their pants. Of course if they do you expect your supervisor to do something about it.
Yeah, our GM should have been fired long ago. Point taken.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The manager's job is to make sure the structure is set up and followed. If he turned over half the staff, I think it is quite reasonable to expect that manager to step in and ensure the process is understood by the new members of the staff.

When Parcells arrived, he did Jerry's job. He did what he needed to do to ensure the scouting staff understood what he wanted.

So basically, what happened? Somebody failed but it wasn't a middle manager like Ciskowski.

Ultimately, the first rule of management is that it is always your fault. Period. You are the guy. You are supposed to make it happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The manager's job is to make sure the structure is set up and followed. If he turned over half the staff, I think it is quite reasonable to expect that manager to step in and ensure the process is understood by the new members of the staff.

When Parcells arrived, he did Jerry's job. He did what he needed to do to ensure the scouting staff understood what he wanted.

So basically, what happened? Somebody failed but it wasn't a middle manager like Ciskowski.

Ultimately, the first rule of management is that it is always your fault. Period. You are the guy. You are supposed to make it happen.
I'm not removing the blame from Jerry but I don't know how you can't look at Ciscowski wonder how the hell he was too dumb to figure out we switched defenses.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not removing the blame from Jerry but I don't know how you can't look at Ciscowski wonder how the hell he was too dumb to figure out we switched defenses.
I wonder how Jerry was too dumb to figure out he switched defenses and it was important to get his scouting staff to communicate appropriately with the coaches to ensure his football team got the best talent to win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McClay takes charge of the Dallas Cowboys’ draft war room

Posted Wednesday, May. 07, 2014
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

Who the Dallas Cowboys select in the first round of the NFL Draft tonight remains anybody’s guess.

With the 16th pick, the Cowboys are at the mercy of those picking before them.

UCLA linebacker/defensive end Anthony Barr, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald and Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin are the most logical options. Keep an eye on LSU receiver Odell Beckham.

There is also the intriguing possibility of a trade up to select one of those coveted players or moving back to add value and gain extra picks, especially if a popular target such as Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel falls to 16th.

Whatever the Cowboys do, look for it be well thought out, managed and researched with assistant director of player personnel Will McClay in charge of Cowboys’ draft war room for the first time.

McClay was not made available to speak to the media.

But in talking to those that who know him best, they believe McClay will make a huge difference because of his smarts, passion, work ethic, and a unique ability to communicate between coaches and the scouts.

“Will is one of the brightest and best people in the NFL,” said Cleveland Browns president Alec Scheiner, who was the general counsel for the Cowboys from 2004 to 2012. “He went to Rice. He is super smart. He cares. He knows football. He can communicate with a lot of different people. But again, he is so smart and intellectually curious. He will look at things in many ways.”

McClay, 47, known to most Cowboys fans as the former coach of the now defunct Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League, has been a star on the rise and a valued voice in the organization for some time. He’s had success in pro personnel by finding off-the-street potential in receiver LaRon Byrd and defensive end George Selvie.

It was McClay who kept the Cowboys’ defense somewhat afloat with the signing of players seemingly weekly to overcome a rash of injuries.

The move to make him the biggest personnel voice in the organization without the Jones surname was also part of the fallout from the debacle in the draft war room last season.

The Cowboys had defensive tackle Sharieff Floyd rated as fifth on their draft board, but controversially passed on him with the 18th overall pick because the coaches didn’t see him as a fit for their scheme.

The Cowboys blame the disconnect on the arrival of a new coaching staff last season and having different needs in a new system than the previous staff rather than any failings of former assistant personnel director Tom Ciskowski, who had been in charge of the draft board since 2008.

Ciskowski remains heavily involved in draft and is head of scouting with a primary focus on college players.

The Cowboys still see McClay as uniquely qualified to bridge the communication gap.

“I think Will’s been outstanding,” vice president Stephen Jones said. “I think anytime you can add somebody there in a leadership role, that has a feel, one, for our team, obviously we put Will in that position as assistant personnel director to be involved in the talent acquisition from a free agent standpoint.

“I think what he brings to the table, the communication skills not only with his staff, our staff in terms of the scouting staff, but also with the coaching staff has been nothing but a big plus.”

Coach Jason Garrett added, “He has a coaching background, which is very positive for us. We really feel like we’re on the same page. He’s certainly done a great job in his new role.”

McClay has called his job with the Cowboys a dream come true. Texas is home for the Houston native who played in high school at Marion Christian and in college at Rice.

Mike Treybig, his high school defensive coordinator at Marion Christian, says its surreal for to see McClay in the position he is in now.

"The kid was a leader and a winner in high school," Treybig said. "He was special and everybody loved him. You wanted to anything you could for him because he busted his butt and went out of his way to do extra stuff."

Some of that extra stuff included watching extra film with the coaches on those old 16 mm projectors.

"Will would watch the tape to find out ways to make himself better," Treybig said. "He was a student of the game way back when."

It came together for him after a four-year professional career in the Arena Football League, going from player to coach before getting a unique opportunity in 2000. He was named the director of personnel for the Orlando Rage of the newly-formed, but now defunct XFL, and he was in charge of building a team from the ground up under general manager Tom Veit and coach Galen Hall.

“That was a pressure cooker of a time,” Veit recalls. “We had to put together a team in six months. He was smart, hardworking and had an eye for talent. We were 8-3 and had the best record in the league. We lost our quarterback right before the playoffs or we would have probably won the championship.

“He was a star back then. I knew he would do well. That he is where he is doesn’t surprise me at all.”

Veit has continued to follow McClay’s career since he left the Rage, first as a member of the scouting department with the Jacksonville Jaguars 2001 before coming to Dallas in 2002 as a member of the scouting department as well as an assistant coach for the Desperados. And even when he was the Desperados coach from 2004-08, he continued to work as a full-time member of the scouting department.

Veit took a renewed personal interest in McClay’s work last season when the Cowboys signed Selvie to the roster because of history as a former associate athletic director at South Florida, Selvie’s alma mater.

Selvie had a disappointing first three years in the NFL and was sitting at home when McClay found him during training camp last season. He blossomed in 2013 with a seven sacks and now has a legitimate NFL future again.

"Will could look at the roster and really figure out if he can help," Veit said. "Guys from Arena league are a different entity than outdoor guys. He could do that. He could look at talent and see beyond what they are doing then and see if they can play in a different system. It's kind what he has done with the with the Cowboys. Look at George Selvie. Will gets him and then boom."

That's what the Cowboys hope McClay brings to the draft war room on Thursday night.

Boom.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Ciskowski ruined everything. Thanks Tom.

Top Bottom