Cowboys Involved In Trade Talks With Dolphins For DE Robert Quinn

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind this if the Dolphins really agree to pay part of his salary and it's no more than one of the fourths or a fifth round pick.
Hairopolos seems to think a third rounder. No way would I do that.
I say a fifth, or forget it

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Hairopolos seems to think a third rounder. No way would I do that.
I say a fifth, or forget it
No damn way I'm giving up a third for a guy who has had a drop in production the last couple of years, even if Miami agreed to pay 67% of his salary.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Get Quinn, work a modest extension and look to trade Tank.
I think I see what you're getting at, but Tank is a proven star. Quinn won't match his productivity. Unless you're saying we get a top ten pick to replace him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think I see what you're getting at, but Tank is a proven star. Quinn won't match his productivity. Unless you're saying we get a top ten pick to replace him.
I assume our asking price for Tank would start at a mid first. If there's competition I'd expect more than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume our asking price for Tank would start at a mid first. If there's competition I'd expect more than that.
We would have to turn around and use that first on a pass rusher. Sort of feels like spinning our wheels. But I guess you'd save some cash for Jerry.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
If that were the case, it may be a good idea. We could possibly get someone like Quinnen Williams. Younger and cheaper.
Something to consider

Cujo

DCC 4Life
If that were the case, it may be a good idea. We could possibly get someone like Quinnen Williams. Younger and cheaper.
Something to consider
But you'd be trading a proven commodity for an unproven one. Maybe he ends up being another elite end. Or, maybe he ends up being Taco.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
We would have to turn around and use that first on a pass rusher. Sort of feels like spinning our wheels. But I guess you'd save some cash for Jerry.
Don't give a shit about saving cash for Jerry. Worried about saving cash for the bullshit cap that idiot helped impose on himself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't give a shit about saving cash for Jerry. Worried about saving cash for the bullshit cap that idiot helped impose on himself.
We don't really have any big contracts on defense. I don't think it ruins ypur cap to have one franchose defensive player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes and no. It’s spinning wheels a bit - but you are getting 5 years on a rookie contract of probably a top shelf DL prospect in a strong DL draft. It’s not the best win now move; but it is helpful given the impending contract extensions to the offensive side of the ball to have a pass rusher for the next half decade making cheap money; Instead of Kalil Mack money.

The Patriots do that shit all the time. Trade away guys like Jamie Collins or Chandler Jones when their contract demands get too high.

Thing is, I’m not convinced Lawrence is the 14 sack player, he might be more of the 10 sack player. This is not DeMarcus Ware here. Resetting the big money calendar on a rookie may be proper cap management if he’s only a 9-10 sack guy moving forward.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Patriots do that shit all the time. Trade away guys like Jamie Collins or Chandler Jones when their contract demands get too high.

Thing is, I’m not convinced Lawrence is the 14 sack player, he might be more of the 10 sack player. This is not DeMarcus Ware here. Resetting the big money calendar on a rookie may be proper cap management if he’s only a 9-10 sack guy moving forward.
The Patriots do all kinds of stupid shit that would blow up in their face if it wasn't for excellent coaching and Tom Brady. Their rosters really aren't that talented. Which is why guys like Collins leave and frankly suck.

And yes this is a deep Dline class with plenty of first round talent. If it was as simple as swapping Lawrence for an equal player who is younger and on a rookie deal we would all do it. But it's not that easy to evaluate Dlineman. There are a ton of first round busts every year on the Dline. The NFL is littered with them. Lawrence is an elite level NFL DE. And it's not just 14 sacks or 10 sacks, the guy is a beast against the run too. He does everything well. The only way I'm moving him is for 2 first round picks or if the relationship in Dallas has really reached toxic levels and can't be fixed.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The Patriots do all kinds of stupid shit that would blow up in their face if it wasn't for excellent coaching and Tom Brady. Their rosters really aren't that talented. Which is why guys like Collins leave and frankly suck.

And yes this is a deep Dline class with plenty of first round talent. If it was as simple as swapping Lawrence for an equal player who is younger and on a rookie deal we would all do it. But it's not that easy to evaluate Dlineman. There are a ton of first round busts every year on the Dline. The NFL is littered with them. Lawrence is an elite level NFL DE. And it's not just 14 sacks or 10 sacks, the guy is a beast against the run too. He does everything well. The only way I'm moving him is for 2 first round picks or if the relationship in Dallas has really reached toxic levels and can't be fixed.
If you could trust Jones and company to take those 2 first round picks and turn them into franchise players then I’d be all over it. Unfortunately even with the success they’ve had in the draft there’s still been enough head scratchers to be uncomfortable giving up a talent like Lawrence for the 2 picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you could trust Jones and company to take those 2 first round picks and turn them into franchise players then I’d be all over it. Unfortunately even with the success they’ve had in the draft there’s still been enough head scratchers to be uncomfortable giving up a talent like Lawrence for the 2 picks.
The sad thing is I think we are one of the better teams in the NFL at drafting. We aren't good at accumulating extra picks, free agency or that sort of stuff. But when it comes down to it I think we hit on draft picks more than most. Just highlights how much of a crapshoot it is.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I’m confident enough in their first round drafting that if someone gives me a top 10 pick for Lawrence, or a 10-20 pick plus sweetener (second or third), I do that deal.

Lawrence was not really elite last year like he was the year before.

Also, again, let’s not forget about cap concerns. This team has a lot of mega deals to hand out. Getting a two for one where we can also reset the clock on a contract extension may allow us to keep another player long term we would otherwise lose, such as Jaylon Smith.

If Lawrence was a Hall of Fame talent like Ware, I’d say no way, but he’s just not. You may get some team to overpay for him based on his last two years of production. But if the only offer is one late first rounder, then of course I pass.

Another guy I’d be strongly considering this with is Byron Jones. I would be playing up his pro bowl berth and PFF numbers HARD. If someone gave me a first for that guy, any first (“hey, here’s a 26 year old shut down corner for you, ready to go”), I would do that all day long, with the intention that I’m simply not giving Jones a long term max contract.

These kind of things are good asset management.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But you'd be trading a proven commodity for an unproven one. Maybe he ends up being another elite end. Or, maybe he ends up being Taco.
This is exactly right.

Top Bottom