Cowboys in talks with Winston

Carp

DCC 4Life
So is Werder now.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 1h
Sounding like Seahawks were most impressed with Brady Quinn at yesterday's 4-QB tryout and will pursue signing to be Russell Wilson's backup
wut

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oops, posted the wrong one.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
Cowboys may be showing interest in FA Eric Winston to leverage RT Doug Free into accepting a pay cut. Counts $10M, led NFL OL in penalties

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oops, posted the wrong one.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
Cowboys may be showing interest in FA Eric Wins ton to leverage RT Doug Free into accepting a pay cut. Counts $10M, led NFL OL in penalties
The Cowboys don't need Winston for leverage.

They already have his awful 2012 on film along with the fact that absolutely no one is going to give him anything near 8 million to play football this year.

Just cut him already....and if that's too hard, tell him to take the pay cut or walk. They don't need have to use Winston to do either one of those things.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

They already have his awful 2012 on film along with the fact that absolutely no one is going to give him anything near 8 million to play football this year.

Just cut him already....and if that's too hard, tell him to take the pay cut or walk. They don't need have to use Winston to do either one of those things.
There is an assload of dead money attached to Free who's cap hit is the same as his salary. Even if you designate June 1st, he still hits the 2014 cap hard.

It was a bad contract, obviously. Good one Jer'.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

The Cowboys refuse to acknowledge that Free isn't good enough.

At least the myth about him being a top 10 tackle is dead.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is an assload of dead money attached to Free who's cap hit is the same as his salary. Even if you designate June 1st, he still hits the 2014 cap hard.

It was a bad contract, obviously. Good one Jer'.
Shoulda never have signed him to that deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Cowboys refuse to acknowledge that Free isn't good enough.

At least the myth about him being a top 10 tackle is dead.
I'd say asking him to take a pay cut is admitting he's not very good. Or at least is overpaid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd say asking him to take a pay cut is admitting he's not very good. Or at least is overpaid.
If they are intent on keeping him around, that is refusing to admit he's not good enough.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
“@GordBerl: @BryanBroaddus any truth to rumours of #cowboys trying to sign Eric Winston?” My sources said not at this time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
“@GordBerl: @BryanBroaddus any truth to rumours of #cowboys trying to sign Eric Winston?” My sources said not at this time.
I guess it's Schefter, Rapaport, and Werder vs the team mouthpieces.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 12m
“@DrFritzBunwalla: @BryanBroaddus Cowboys using Winston rumor to encourage Free to deal?” Don't believe so.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not familiar with this twitter nonsense. So is Broaddus saying he's not on our radar? Or is he saying the Cowboys aren't using Winston to encourage Free to deal (which would imply the interest in Winston is legit)?

I don't get it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not familiar with this twitter nonsense. So is Broaddus saying he's not on our radar? Or is he saying the Cowboys aren't using Winston to encourage Free to deal (which would imply the interest in Winston is legit)?

I don't get it.
He's just denying the whole deal. He's denied the Cowboys are interested. He's denied that we are using him as leverage.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The fan/homer in me is like "sign him immediately", but if we are little more rational about it I think we are going to still have pretty good FAs to choose from after the draft. Both Clabo and Winston could be out there, so if we don't hit on a RT in the draft we could sign them then...probably for cheaper than we could get them now.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The fan/homer in me is like "sign him immediately", but if we are little more rational about it I think we are going to still have pretty good FAs to choose from after the draft. Both Clabo and Winston could be out there, so if we don't hit on a RT in the draft we could sign them then...probably for cheaper than we could get them now.
They might be more expensive. Right now teams have the option of the draft to fill their holes. After the draft, those that didn't draft a tackle are all going to come knocking and the desperation level would be higher.

Carp

DCC 4Life
They might be more expensive. Right now teams have the option of the draft to fill their holes. After the draft, those that didn't draft a tackle are all going to come knocking and the desperation level would be higher.
I doubt it, but maybe. After the draft there might even be more vets released.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Why not just cut Free and be done with it? Its a waste of cap space and money no matter what.

Oh, wait. Jerry probably has it figured out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why not just cut Free and be done with it? Its a waste of cap space and money no matter what.

Oh, wait. Jerry probably has it figured out.
I really think they intend to keep him if after the draft and the period of free agency in its wake they still have no new RT. They've somehow convinced themselves the Parnell and Free rotation gives them a solution that produced several multi-TD games from Romo late in the year.

Whatever spin lets Jerry save face for having paid Free so much money based off of one average 2010 season and a few very good games in late 2009.

Top Bottom