Cowboys HQs moving to Frisco

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
In 2012 the Cowboys agreed to a 3 year deal to hold their practices in Oxnard. So they'll be in Oxnard until at least 2015.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In 2012 the Cowboys agreed to a 3 year deal to hold their practices in Oxnard. So they'll be in Oxnard until at least 2015.
It will take that long to complete the Frisco facility.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The tweet in the OP says that one week of TC will be held at Frisco, implying that the rest of TC will be held somewhere else.
Well, it also says "at least one week", so it could be longer.

I hope they just stay there, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be enough of a circus and an attraction so they won't be holding it in some Dallas suburb all summer long.

Gotta have room for Rowdy to ride his dirt bike all over the place and stuff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The tweet in the OP says that one week of TC will be held at Frisco, implying that the rest of TC will be held somewhere else.
Not familiar with said tweet or the source but what I have heard (rumors) is that the Frisco complex will be the complete training facility.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There is a complete training facility at VR as well. That doesn't mean they will host camp there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They are building a 12,000 seat indoor training facility/stadium so there would be no need to return to Oxnard.

I need to do some quick research to see how long they're contractually required to attend TC in Oxnard.
That's too bad because I always liked the idea of doing a summer California vacation that included stopping for a couple days at training camp. Who wants to go to Dallas in July? Nobody.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. — Just hours afters announcing plans for a new $115 million team headquarters in Frisco, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones returned to Oxnard and made it clear that he wants to continue going to training camp in California for years to come.

The Cowboys’ deal with Oxnard ends in 2014, but Jones said the team is already working on a contract extension with city officials.

“I think the positives that are here, and really you guys experienced this, this isn’t light to me coming out here to Southern California. Like, we’re trying to experiment over here,” Jones said Tuesday. “We’ve been doing this for how many years now? 30-something, 35 years if you really count Thousand Oaks. This is what we ought to be doing. And we’re working right now on trying to extend it.”

The Cowboys are obligated to spend at least two weeks in Oxnard next year. San Antonio has also expressed interest in hosting camp next year and beyond.
-------------

Well, shit. Hopefully, he's just blowing smoke up their ass to not step on any toes during the last couple years we're there.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Continuing to split camp between Frisco and Oxnard would be idiotic.

Hopefully he is just blowing smoke.

Also, if you're the citizens and leaders of Frisco wouldn't that comment rub you the wrong way? They've just agreed to foot the bill to build a state of the art indoor training facility and less than a week later Jerry is throwing around comments like he only wants to use Frisco as a part time facility.

I would assume the people of Frisco were assuming the Cowboys would train their full time and not just use Frisco as a pit stop on their way to California.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wish he would move everything to LA

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
As I said...

I mean, we all know Jerry at this point. This can't possibly be a surprise.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As I said...

I mean, we all know Jerry at this point. This can't possibly be a surprise.
It's not a surprise but it's disappointing.

I guess trying to maintain that west coast fan base is more important than properly preparing for the season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Basically it will be like when we split San Antonio and Oxnard.

Get used to Jerry's Traveling Carnival.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not a surprise but it's disappointing.

I guess trying to maintain that west coast fan base is more important than properly preparing for the season.
That is what I really don't get. You read about the Redskins drawing 10k fans to practices...I think the Oxnard ones were no where near that per practice. Even San Antonio seemed more exciting in terms of the buzz.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys to consider Frisco facility sponsorship

August, 14, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Money and the Dallas Cowboys seem to go hand-in-hand these days.

The Cowboys will earn an estimated $17 million to $20 million annually for the naming rights to AT&T Stadium. They just finalized a $115 million deal for a new practice facility in Frisco. And Forbes magazine estimates the team is worth a NFL-best $2.3 billion.

You get the idea.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones hinted the Cowboys' facility in Frisco, where they will move in 2016, also could generate a naming rights deal.

"It’s certainly a consideration," Jones said. "As we look at how this thing develops, we will consider that."

Jones said the new practice facility is a joint venture with the Frisco ISD and the community at large. Jones wants high school football games to be held at the new indoor stadium -- just an extension of what AT&T Stadium does.

Top Bottom