Cowboys DE Randy Gregory reportedly on track for an attempted reinstatement

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And none of this is to say that Randy Gregory is an innocent victim of misguided policies. If you know the rules going in and can't adhere to them then you deserve whatever happens.

The league bans performance enhancing drugs. Makes perfect sense. The league is tough on domestic violence. Their enforcement is uneven and haphazard but overall it makes sense.

So, NFL, just tell us why pot is on your list of banned substances when it's legal in two states? Rationalize it. Make a case.

They can't.

And especially tell us what you're going to do now that SCOTUS has opened the door to sports gambling in any state. Is that more of a threat than pot?

What happens next time a field goal attempt misses by inches and gamblers on one side of a point spread or the other lose big?

You think you got problems with pot?
The NFL doesn’t have to make a case for Pot or any other law. That is the job of Lawmakers. They have made laws and the NFL abides by them just as any other citizen is obligated to abide by the laws. Disagreeing with the law is not an entitlement to disobeying same. Whether it is laws of substance abuse or spousal abuse the rules are adopted by the league either because they are required to or they choose to. Either way once enacted every player is obligated to obey or suffer the consequences. One can make a practicle or sensible argument about the inequities of a rule or law but the governing body has the last say. That’s just the way it is and until such time as the laws or rules change the recourse is on the side of the rules makers.

p1_

DCC 4Life
LT, what do you say about states where the NFL stands in opposition to state law, namely Colorado and Washington ?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT, what do you say about states where the NFL stands in opposition to state law, namely Colorado and Washington ?
I say what the NFL says. They follow the Federal guidelines. It makes it uniform.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The difference is you can sleep off alcohol use and come to work sober. Weed is testable in your system for 30 days. Seems like, “don’t come to work drunk” is a little bit of a different expectation than “don't smoke weed within 30 days of coming to work.”
GTFO. Seriously?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Sounds about right. The safe position.
This is fucking ridiculous, yes I think marijuana should be legal(and heavily taxed), but I(and many more) gave up smoking weed many years ago to make way less than than these kids do. Grow the fuck up already

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is fucking ridiculous, yes I think marijuana should be legal(and heavily taxed), but I(and many more) gave up smoking weed many years ago to make way less than than these kids do. Grow the fuck up already
Dude, your choice of whether or not to smoke weed shouldn’t be based on your career. By way of comparison, no alcoholic ever stopped drinking because it was frowned upon by their professional peers. That’s what I call ridiculous. The NFL will wait it out, as dominoes fall. We all know it’s coming, even you. No need to be bitter.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Dude, your choice of whether or not to smoke weed shouldn’t be based on your career. By way of comparison, no alcoholic ever stopped drinking because it was frowned upon by their professional peers. That’s what I call ridiculous. The NFL will wait it out, as dominoes fall. We all know it’s coming, even you. No need to be bitter.
We fire alcoholics just as fast as potheads so take that however your bitter pothead ass wants

p1_

DCC 4Life
Love that corporate speak, When’s the clan rally?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Love that corporate speak, When’s the clan rally?
Fucking seriously? Ahh yes I must be racist, fuck all the way off bitch

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We fire alcoholics just as fast as potheads so take that however your bitter pothead ass wants
You are full of shit if you think alcoholics are treated the same way as potheads in the workplace.

Potheads can't even get hired in the first place.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
A lot of it is a liability issue. I am required to have background checks, no drugs and clean driving records to do the work that we do. If our guys fail a drug test I can’t risk keeping them. If they run someone over, get busted in one of my company vehicles I am liable for that. If they failed a drug test and I didn’t do anything about it under those circumstances I could lose my entire business. I’m not really down for that.

If someone discreetly smokes weed and is a responsible person I generally wouldn’t care if that was the case. But to worry about those liability issues is another deal. What people do is not really my business until it impacts me.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You are full of shit if you think alcoholics are treated the same way as potheads in the workplace.
Depends on the workplace. If you have to carry a CDL, you get a drinking violation even on your off time, you will lose your licence and then your job. Doesn't even have to be a DUI.

Friend of mine drives for Fed Ex. Doesn't require a CDL, but the same rules apply for him. If he gets a drinking violation, he also gets his walking papers.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
A player -- an employee -- could go home every night and drink three martinis or down half a case of beer and no one would really know. The next day his BAC would be fine.

If that same player -- employee -- went home and smoked a blunt or two, the THC would show up in his system. The employer would be within its rights to terminate him, yet the evening before he was no more impaired with the blunt than he was with the three martinis.

It's hypocrisy and cultural political correctness on the part of the NFL. The fan base is overwhelmingly white and Republican. Alcohol is okay, because that's what everyone did back when America was Great. But pot is evil, hippies and radicals smoke pot. It's when our society went to hell back in the '60s and '70s.

The fan base, not to mention the ownership, is overwhelmingly white and Republican. The players are overwhelmingly not.

If the NFL were to take pot off its list of banned substances there would be a cultural meltdown. It's okay for Dad and Uncle Ernie to go down to the VFW and fire down beers and get blind drunk. But pot? No, sir. Just one more sign of the cultural apocalypse. What affect would it have on the kids?
Opposition to pot is more of a generational thing than a political or racial issue. Yes, older people reflexively oppose legalization while younger people either support it outright or don't really care. But the tide is clearly turning toward either legalizing or implicitly tolerating the responsible use of marijuana. Even evil white Republicans like me who don't touch the stuff, never have and likely never will are switching to legalization because it's a waste of government resources fighting an impossible battle against a problem that's no worse than alcohol.

And as far as a cultural meltdown goes people aren't going nuts as more and more states legalize it. As a society we're creeping toward it's acceptance whether we individually approve or not. Like the federal government, the NFL just happens to be behind on the issue and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is addressed in the next CBA or at least within the next five years or so.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Mea culpa, guys. 15 yards from spot of foul. Sorry

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The rules are a joke. The bigger joke - players who know that they stand to rob themselves of millions yet they still smoke weed. They could always focus on their careers like successful people do while simultaneously fighting the stupid of the rules.

There are plenty of things that I don't like doing that I have to.

Another example: Players have to be in shape and at a certain weight. but but but, it isn't illegal!!! No fair!!! Too bad, that's life.
Ricky Williams.

Top Bottom